CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where do get clutch springs and specs at?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do get clutch springs and specs at?

I hear 20, 40, 60, 80% springs discussed and don't see anything like that available. Barnett just say HD springs.

Can anyone help me out on this please? Where are these specs at for this percentage (of stock springs?)?

************************************************** ************************************************** *************

Just found out BMW has 7 plates so basket may be different from DS650 somehow. DS650 8 plates are kevlar which may be better and same thickness as 9 plate fiber (?).

Its like Sears sells small crap batteries that they 'spew' has more cranking amps, bs. 10 year batteries die 18 months (full replacement) almost to the day AFTER (!) and will barely crank from day one. Got a full sized battery from Firestone and my Dodge Dakota never cranked so effortlessly (lower price, and will last 8 years if service life is anything like cranking ease compared to Sears 'more cranking amp' small batteries).

I will have to get a micrometer and visit a couple of shops with DS650 clutches and F650 clutches (dealers, if they have in stock).
Results will be posted when I eventually do this later.

A clutch is pretty important link. Chain Gang site says run redline synthetic (from RWR I believe) for clutch to work better if slipping (???).

************************************************** ************************************************** *************

Any way any leads on finding the different clutch springs, understanding this common percentage, and where common percent spec is listed at would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the specs but On-Dunes has the RWR 60% springs on their web site. I think the Barnett HD springs are 20%.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks FatHolly

I wonder what HPR's HD springs are? Pami is supposed to have HD springs as well.

Someone was also saying a 40% and 80% spring. Maybe we can get expert drag racer and business owner Sand Bomber to chime in and tell us what the facts are.

It would be nice if they had a chart with gage, material, spring rate, height, coil dia, manufacturer, and compared to stock.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I think TheBom has the Pami 80% springs... I could be wrong, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am... Anyway you would have to call, The Bom Racing doesn't have prices on the web site.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Why did you select 60%, just right, easy, price?

It would kind of be nice to try almost to make sure not carpal tunnel springs, as street riding in city is continous clutch pulls.

40% 'sounds' right for me. Maybe that's HPR - ???

Old 02-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

60% is what On-Dunes had. It was easier to order it all from the same place. 60% seemed just about right from what I've read as well.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I could buy my clutch like that. Since BMW is 7 plates, I need to find the difference between those, 8 kevlars (bullet proof material), and 9 fiber disks i in thickness and material. I've heard of BMW clutches going 25K and still look like new (maybe due to weak springs) so just confused at this point. I think I'd really like to try the standard DS650 8 kevlar disks just based on descriptions, but the thickness will be critical. Everyone seems to sell the 9 disk perhaps why I thought it would be better for an added disk; but they are not the same type disks (apples and oranges). Every performance item detail is like this it seems, but in the end it finally crystallizes. Its just harder figuring out without buying it first :-)

Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

You got to remember that you are applying quad technology to a motorcycle. First lets compare the weight of the two, the motorcycle is almost 100lbs lighter. Then compare the singe rear tire on your motorcycle that has ~3" contact patch compared to the quads two 10" wide paddle tires.

My point is that the quads clutch needs to handle allot more stress. It all about the weakest link. If I ran dirt slick tires in the sand then I could get away with a stock clutch. I guess in theory your clutch only needs to hold until the rear tire breaks lose.

I bet you could get away with a stock clutch and have no problems. Stiffer springs do have there down side. Besides the obvious harder pull on the clutch leveler (which would suck if you were sitting in traffic), the springs also put more stress on the clutch actuator.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Sandaholic,

I guess you're right. But clutch was lacking in some respects and I would like to see what's out there (4 known types).

Barnett don't even sell BMW plates so maybe they make them with an exclusive selling agreement to BMW. I've just never heard of another motorcycle clutch company yet.

But you've got a good point. I don't want to jerk my transmission. CrazyPainter uses rwr 60% and said his gears just inspected were nubs. I bet those Kevlar plates grab like glue too. Surprised don't see any of those for DS650 being sold. Harley riders like them I think.

I should inspect my clutch before buying another and maybe just get either 20% (or possibly 40%) springs. If I have mine out assuming HPR's are 40%, then I can get both sets from them and send back unused springs with restocking 15% fee maybe. No clutch - 'ding', another cost savings :-)

No wonder Chain Gang had reports of over stiff springs: all they advertise are Pami, assuming 80%, lol.
I did see on Alba site those ergo clutch levers with ballbearings for $55. Looks like a decent investment if they would work on mine. Never had problem with clutch before, but throttle is different story even with cruise conrol locks. I'll have to work on that based on HPR lectron info about cable routing/care.

Thanks for putting things in perspective! Saves me a lot of headaches too.