CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

450R Carb??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R Carb??

"From reading other posts unless it can be bored out.I dont think it
will have what a 720-730 will need."

I'm not real sure myself. It is supposed to be fsc performance and have many high reving and ridability features. I think it may do more with what else is done to bike/carb/intake. No, by itself maybe not. I'm optimistic on this one, since its Honda's largest and even larger than their 'trick' fsc's. The dialajet man is a carb expert so I will run it by him. I'm all out of choices and I'm going to make this one works. The carb just looks 'mean'. Dialajet alone will add something, but I'd like to know my range of choices so don't have carb setup blues on more than one set.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it
Default 450R Carb??

I ran the 450 carb on my bomber and it was a little better than stock because of the fuel injector but now I am running a lectron and it is alot better than the 450 carb.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

I seen a TM 45 on E bay for 225.00

Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

" I ran the 450 carb on my bomber and it was a little better than stock because of the fuel injector ..."

So a Keinin Butterfly type TPS carb that is supposed to have same performance as a front slide carb is only a little better than a mikuni cv of the same size? Try telling that to Honda TRX450r riders if you can catch them on a stock Bomb. If you are racing long enough, you will take them over on top end after the cv winds out. And Lectrons alone are no guarantee you will catch them before top end. This may be the highest tech carb that isn't a time delayed cv or a racing front slide carb. In fact its reported to have the tuning range of a cv and the performance of a flat slide carb (i.e. - having your cake and eating it too).

Keinin is the most advanced carb company in the world, for Honda products, its affiliate, anyway. And that's the only way anyone is going to get a carb of this high tech caliber for a mere $170. No other company can get one at any price to my knowledge.

Between etg/cht gages and Old Man racing, there is no doubt this carb can be increased if it needs to be, if component replacement alone don't do the job. Granted its not as easy or have butt loads of torque like HPR Lectrons, but its got many more advantages than that. It sounds as if you are comparing a carb that wasnt' correctly installed and/or tuned. It does take considerable effort to fine tune a carb, but this should be much easier to tune from scratch than any cv and/or flat side carb.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

Hey guys ive got the carb running pretty good everywhere except for rolling hammer down.
When i do this it has a horrible bog.If i roll it on it runs great.Ive been everywhere on the jetting from what some would call lean to rich.Ive changed pilots,needle pos,and mains.Ive adjusted thefuel screw also.If i stab the throttle it will SHUT DOWN.My plugs are tan with a dark ring on the threads.
One thing i havent tried is to go rich or lean on all the circuits at once.I was always been told to do one thing at a time.
Any suggestions or alternate problems anyone can come up with would be great.
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it
Default 450R Carb??

yjacket I installed my carb on the Bomber and had it dyno tuned and it did not make any more horsepower than the stock carb it had more bottom end than a stocker due to the injector but it did not help at all on top end [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Sorry if I upset anyone i am just trying to save someone else from waisting there money. It would be a good carb for woods or something like that you can definantly feel the torque differance on the bottom end. If you really like the carb I just happen to have one laying around not in use [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

Tpsycho,

For comparison sake, could you please post the dynos of all 3 carbs, or what you have. It sounds like you dynoed every carb.
You are the first one to have dyno's, if you have them. Hopefully, torque will be on dyno charts which is important. HP is not a stand alone measure. You should be able to drive it and measure the intangible advantages of power curve. The Honda 450r is a very successful stock racer.

Reports from the latest person who installed it, said it helped the whole power band all the way through, from the first installation. It may have come set up just right for his altitude. It may need some work I'll admit, but its the basic platform carb that I want. Once I get it running right, then dialajets and/or boring out/switching components will be required: like atvaddict, one step at a time.

I appreciate the information!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atvaddict,

Sounds rich. One guy on extremegarage said he either put his air box lid on or off and that fixed it perfect.
Play around with intake system to see what it does first.

Bogging may be a bottom up tune initially (pilot jets and needle first), and then mainjets to fine tune it (or do a top down tune once get to mainjets).
Follow any tuning system in order will get you to the same place: most do top-down, but I hear bottom up is good for wide gaps or bogging.

Sounds like you are real close. The other guy on extremegarage just put his on and it was perfect. That must be nice.
Since you had the guru's carb, I figured yours might go on perfect.

Make sure no air leaks, if altered air box/tubes from stock. Stock is always a good place to start.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

So do you lose any power with the 450R carb?

(how's this?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].........pm me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

I get to hit silverlk dunes in mi about 3times a yr.The rest of the time im in woods.This carb has excelent throttle responce when you have some revs.
Bartlett ran the direct mount with great responce.It is just not performing for me.
Anyone got his #.My intake boot is good.The accelerator pump is funtioning.
I had a dealer mechanic tell me today its normal for a 4 stroke to die when you hammer
down.They wont be getting any business from me.Looks like my stocker is going back on.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 450R Carb??

PM yjacket and sell all of them to him, sounds like he thinks there great LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 450R Carb??