CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Totally off topic : Where out west to live???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally off topic : Where out west to live???

I like my weather HOT!

I grew up in RI and do not miss all the snow.

Though I live in Vegas, I actually like Phoenix better. And it is becoming a hotbed for automotive performance. Especially off road.

I agree with Monkey, that area is a good place to look at. It's booming and much less expensive than Vegas and Phoenix.

Be warned though, it's hotter than it is here!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm heat isnt exactly my friend, but the cold gets old really quick. We have some pretty sticky summers which drives me insane. I really can feel a difference with the dry heat out west. The summer of 04 it was around 100 and it felt much nicer than the high 80's low 90's we had at home.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

Roost, I too live in Illinois near St.Louis and I am considering a possible move to Utah if I can work it out. One thing you might check out but it may be more for fun than anything, but there is a web site called (www.findyourspot.com) that asks a lot of questions and then lists cities that may fit what you want. When I did it I think it listed about 5 places in Utah.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

China Lake/Ridgecrest, CA- China Lake Naval Weapons Center - 30,000 Population and growing - Open desert- Navy Civilian Jobs- Almost Always Hiring Engineers- Most start at like mid 50's with possibility of 130+K- ESDP Program Brings A Lot Of Engineers Here (Engineer and Scientist Development Program) 2.5 to 3 Hrs. To Dumont- Something Like 7 Hrs. To Glamis-7 Hrs. To Sand Mtn. Nev.- 4-5 Hrs To Pismo - Eastern Slope Of Sierra Nevada Mtn. Range- Lakes and Fishing Within 1-3 Hrs.- Housing has went up but you can still get a nice house for 150-250K - Winters are awsome - Summers are F'n Hot - Not A Bad Place To Consider.

Tom

Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

I wasn't going to add anymore - once is enough for this thread or it will go on forever. Then I saw Bomb's comment on China Lake/Ridgecrest. My first tour in Hawaii I used to travel a lot. One of my destinations was China Lake. I've been there numerous times. Never really suited mel, and I think of that period in my life every time I pass by on 395 (like last week). But...that said, I can remember asking people that worked and lived there why they chose such a remote place and did they like it. To a man (an woman) they all LOVED the place and their jobs too. Most were brought up in the city, one good friend was from the bay area and went to Stanford - said you couldn't drag he or his wife out of the place. There is some real brain power there. Lots of engineers and the like, a scaled down version of Sandia Labs in NM.

Two fellows that worked for me now live in Omaha. Couldn't drag them out of there either. Point is, don't rule out a place just because on surface it doesn't seem like a place you'd want anything to do with. Sometimes the job or working environment more than makes up for it and typically, because it is remote, people are closer and share more...and in the end, isn't that what it's all about.

Roost. Your cousin lives in Coronado. Ask him about home prices here! Don't let it scare you, there are lots of very nice places in and around San Diego reasonably priced. Like I said, don't think about starting where you should end.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the OC (Mission Viejo) when I’m not over here dodging IED’s. There are a lot of very good schools on the left coast; UC Irvine is the closest to me. It’s expensive though; average house in MV will set you back around 700K. Lots of good, high paying jobs in the area. Lots of outdoor things to do, and the weather is almost always nice. The beach is 20 minutes from home, and skiing is two hours. I shot a deer last season 30 minutes from my house.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

1 more vote for UT! I lived on the east coast till I was 20 and went to Mississippi for the AF and then after a year there I was stationed in UT and been here ever sence (8 years). I as 650viper love the seasons and love to ride sleds si you can't get much better than UT. I also agree with all the other statements that have already been stated so I am not going to type them again. Well anyways good luck and if you do end out here somwhere iam sure you will love it. I know i do!!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Anywhere, just get me out of Cali. I hate it here, and can't wait to get out. I tried that website that was posted, and my top places were Idaho, Ut, and Montana [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]