CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dune Riding Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dune Riding Questions??

My friend and I were planning a trip to Sand Mtn when the weather is a little more reliable. I have a bone stock DS650X and he has a stock YFZ450.......well some guy at a quad shop told him it was pointless in going dune riding unless we both got sand paddles.

Personally, I'm about 50-50 on whether I'm keeping my DS(want the new Outlander 650 or 800) so I don't want to invest in new tires and it's not exactly like we live near any dunes. Anyway, is there any point in trying to dune ride without paddles or are we just gonna sit in the sand and spin our tires like my buddy was "told"??

Any feedback would be appreciated. Seems to me the DS has made it across the African and Baja sands quite well as it's equipped.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i would try it, i think it's fun to ride without paddles, it's hill climbing and drag racing that you will fall short.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

We rode out DSs in the Oregon dunes over last summer with the stock tires. Yes you will spin, but it won't be like you are on some sheet of ice. the paddles do help, and they let you hook up good and do give you additional traction. However I know the DS will fly on the dunes with the stock tires, as my Dad and I were both over 300 lbs when we had the stock tires on, and my brother and his friend were both aroun 200-220. If you plan on keeping it and doing many sand rides, I would highly recommend them but not an absolute thing needed. I have no idea on the YFZ, as I have not ridden one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have a great time both of those bikes will will do very well anywhere you wish to go at Sand Mountain. been going for more than 20 years and I can tell you since my first trip there we have come allong way from being so excited that Honda put a front brake in its 185 3wheeler.
Those bikes will show you a great time. Even is stock trim.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the responses, the guy told my buddy it was pointless in even trying with stock tires "a waste of our time" now I'm not sure I can talk my buddy into going <sigh> and I'm not buying another set of tires.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

As far as most of us concerned here, Dune riding is never a waste of time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are really good paddle tires and really lousy sand tires. If you run stock tires, just air them down in the back like you would your truck. Give them some sidewall flex but not so much that you are at risk of breaking the bead. If you do this, your stock tires will work just as good as some of the really cheap (lousy) paddles. You will be able to spray all kinds of roost and climb all but the steepest hills............just don't commit to any tree chutes that have no alternate exit, lol.

Go have fun! Some guy just wanted to sell a set of tires!

Ron

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

the bikes move real easy without paddles, and you have a level of fun that paddles will take away, thats why there is v paddles it is kind of the middle of the road. you should go and try at least once.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

OK, you guys have me convinced, now I just gotta convince my buddy.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

As mentioned before, air down you rear tires and also air down your fronts too. It will help keep the quad a float instead of digging in.

Quick Reply: Dune Riding Questions??