CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Break in time for New piston and Rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in time for New piston and Rings

Originally posted by: Hightower
thanks dsnut, that makes perfect sense - getting the ring shape to perfectly match the bore shape.

I do not see what rpm has to do with it though, I am not arguing but just demonstrating the contraversy that is responsible for the differing opinions between builders...

if it takes a certain number revolutions to achieve the filing process, the speed at which this takes place is not nearly as important as the distance traveled by the piston. hypothetically, if it takes 1,000,000 revolutions for break-in, running the motor at 5,000rpms or 10,000rpms still achieves the result, 10,000rpms just get it done faster.

And also lets not forget that this all is considering ring break-in and not whole motor break-in such as cams, rod bearings, etc and all of these itmes I think would benefit from a milder break-in. jmo.
That is right. You don't necessarily need high rpm. What you are after is load. The more load there is (to a point), the harder the rings are pushing against the cylinder walls shaping and getting the job done.

Under no load, the few lbs of outward pressure the spring factor of the rings puts on the cylinder wall won't do it.

I know it is conventional wisdom to think that cranks, bearings, rod bearings or bushings need plenty of time to loosen up before you apply tremendous load to them but I think that applied to the engines of yesteryear. Casting and machining technologies are far more advanced than when conventional wisdom was born so IMHO tight parts in new engines are not normal.

You are exactly right when you say this subject is controversial. I always just ask people who suggest the methods I have come to use are incorrect, why? I only get one answer..........The manual says so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The whole thing is pretty tough to prove, I must say but I get the benefit of avoiding the frustrating break-in proceedures by adhering to this school of thought![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] J/K

Old 03-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
Hers how I do it as recomended by HPR. ride 45 min varying the rpm at all times. hold it at 3000 then 5000 down to 4000 to to 7000 back down to 2500. Keep it moving around. Change the oil and go beat up a 450[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I am going to use the process above. I will do leak down and compression test before and after breakin, and post results.

Thank You to everyone for there input.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Camds650
Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
Hers how I do it as recomended by HPR. ride 45 min varying the rpm at all times. hold it at 3000 then 5000 down to 4000 to to 7000 back down to 2500. Keep it moving around. Change the oil and go beat up a 450[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I am going to use the process above. I will do leak down and compression test before and after breakin, and post results.

Thank You to everyone for there input.
Good Choice! It will work great!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Also, make sure you are not running really rich with your carburation. That is a big no no during break-in.
In a hundred zillion break-in posts, this is the first time I have seen someone mention this.!!!
I totally agree with you.
I saw a race engine about a year ago that was rebuilt and broken in fat. The thing did not have that many laps on it but I could tell from the ports that the thing was fat as a pig. When the heads came off the cylinders were polished. It was bad news. Ran like a pig.
I also don't agree with some peoples idea of running a 20 to 1 mix on the first tank of a two stroke either. I personally think they are screwing up the ring seal and filling their pipe up with oil.