CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I am just an amateur but please advise......

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am just an amateur but please advise......

It is very hard to get enough information in a short phone call on how to set up a bike. Ask Bill and Mario and they will tell you Im still trying to help make them faster on every phone call. I would like every DS to be able to go run a 4.0 in the next year. I try to throw out a lot of options and will offer all of the parts so the buyer can make there own choice. Call me anytime and I will give my best shot at making you faster for the lowest cost

Old 03-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

I ran a lectron 44 and ported intake on the tightest trails the bike could go down, and It was ok. I had a hard time getting mine setup right, but once it was done right it was good. I ended up selling it though and putting the stock one back on. I live in NJ and i don't know what kind of "trails" you ride on but most of mine are very very nasty. So being able to close my air box back up was more practical, and less worrying about water doing damage which makes the ride more enjoyable. Now on fire roads the 44 was nasty I would never trade it unless I was going bigger.

My opinion would be stay with the stocker until your getting ready to go all out. Then forget the end cap and get the Top Gun slip on because as far as my knowledge that slip on can be used with the 730's and not hold any power back unlike the end cap which chokes up the big bores, and get the ported intake. I have been running this set up since I've been saving to go big all at once, and I'll tell you it's enough power for any of the "trails" I do. Did I mention I'm always the leader in my group and have to stop a lot to let the others catch up.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I run a TM 45 on my 03 with ported intake..it was the best mod I made really made a big differance, along with a pipe and kn filter. I put a lot of snap in my 04 with ondunes endcap, jetting and kn filter with outerwears. Don't forget the clutch springs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

We are running the TM45 (pumper activated) on my dads bike. He is a trail riding freak, and this carb is perfect for it. Air box lid on or off, it is fast off the starts, and beats the stock hands down....DSnut, Scattterbrain, and Donal can all vouch for his trail rides. If you can handle the stiffer throttle, you would love it...

Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

All I can say is that Glenn (sandbomber) has helped me tremendously, He wont steer ya wrong.. If I were you I would take whatever Glenn said and run with it.. Besides, His customer service is the ultimate... He really gets enjoyment out of helping fellow DSers out.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Range Rover

I completely agree with you about Glenn. He is AWESOME, but I just can't afford to spend that much on my DS at this point. I am still trying to save for a house (tired of renting) and I am trying to pay off my two vehicle payments. The house and vehicles have to be my first priority for my family, unfortunately the DS has to come in last. I just want to be able to get the grunt and snap on a budget. I am sure I will have to wait a few years to actually go all out with it. The only thing I would like to do at this point is port the intake, endcap and carb. I just want to make sure I am going to choose the right carb. Thanks guys

Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the Lectron 46HV for about 2 years and love it. I ride mostly trails here in the mountains and have no problem at all. I also know that my bike starts better with this carb on as well.

If you are trying to keep the cost in check I would start with an end cap or exhaust system, then ride for a while until you have a few more dollar saved up and go for the 46HV. I would say the best would be to save and go for the 46, because when you want more power(and you will), you will have the carb for it. Selling the carb and buying another is not a bad idea, but you are better off to get the right on up front. You will probably lose some money selling a used carb after as well.

When you do buy a carb, don't forget to budjet for a new throttle assembly. The stock unit will not open the 46 all the way, I am not sure about the 44.

You will love your Lectron when you get it. I would never bolt anything else on a DS650.

My 2 cents - anyway

Old 03-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: albabomb
I completely agree with you about Glenn. He is AWESOME, but I just can't afford to spend that much on my DS at this point. I am still trying to save for a house (tired of renting) and I am trying to pay off my two vehicle payments. The house and vehicles have to be my first priority for my family, unfortunately the DS has to come in last. I just want to be able to get the grunt and snap on a budget. I am sure I will have to wait a few years to actually go all out with it. The only thing I would like to do at this point is port the intake, endcap and carb. I just want to make sure I am going to choose the right carb. Thanks guys

Good Man!!! Buy a house first, everything else will come easier once that equity is working for you!

My vote is for the Lectron HV46..............once you close on the house.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

I say forget the carb for now. Get an end cap and a K&N. That will give you a good wake up all by itself. You can do this all in moderation and get to climb the HP ladder. To me thats the fun part. Do something and feel the difference. Dont save up and bolt on 25hp of parts for more money than you can afford. If we were all loaded we would all have 730 big bores and big HP. You can keep the cost down by doing an end cap, k&n, and 15 tooth sprocket. Those things are cheap and will wake things up.

The fun is bolting on a part and feeling the difference.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Originally posted by: dabomb03
Then forget the end cap and get the Top Gun slip on because as far as my knowledge that slip on can be used with the 730's and not hold any power back unlike the end cap which chokes up the big bores, and get the ported intake.
This is the first I've heard of the HPR endcap holding back power and choking up big bores!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Not disputing your info, just would like clarification and direction as this is the first I've heard of it after much research.

I can attest to Oldmans stock carb mods. For the price you cannot beat it. Sounds like you have a little money to play with so that may not be an issue. Can't go wrong with the info Glen gives you.

Quick Reply: I am just an amateur but please advise......