CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I am just an amateur but please advise......

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am just an amateur but please advise......

I have posted many subjects on this forum. Some have been answered with much help and some were just ignored. I have a 2000 DS that I love but want just a little more snap and power out of. I have been trying to do the research and decide what would be the best way to get it done but I still stand a little confused. I talked to Glenn from ondunes who is amazingly knowledgeable on the DS and horsepower...(thanks Glenn). I was informed by Glenn that for a little over $1200.00 I could get into the mid 50's for horsepower. That is great and I definately trust Glenn's word on gaining horsepower, but it will probably take until fall for me to save that much (wife/3 kids - enough said). So upon reading as much as I can on this forum and doing some research on hpresearch.net and speaking to Glenn and numurous people on the forum, I have come to the conclusion that for $125.00 I can get the endcap from hpresearch, for $75.00 I can get my intake ported from a contact on the forum and for about $550.00 I can get a HPR 46 carb which is a total of $750.00 + some cost for shipping. The dyno chart on hpresearch claims 53 HP and 49 lb ft of torque. For $200.00 less I can get the HPR 44 Power Jet which claims 2 HP less with the same amount of torque in the same setup. So I am now looking at spending a total of $550.00 for the HPR 44, endcap & ported intake which will get me to where I want to be without having to wait and save. Now, I do know that with the setup offered by Glenn, I would be well setup for any future modding I want to do which is definately the way to go for more power. I know with the setup I am thinking about for $550.00 is almost useless if I want to go any further in HP gains in the future, but I am willing to compromise for wanted power now. I am not trying to take anything away from Glenn.........he has THE fastest quad in the nation and knows exactly how to get there...........so now here is my dilemma, I was reading a post this morning entitled "Stock Carb with piston, cams??". The post, from my perception, was debating whether or not to just use the stock carb because of ease of throttle cable and not having to raise the idle for a smooth idle. There was also talk about trail riding and maybe the Lectron 44 or TM45 would not be good for certain low RPM situations. So now after all of my research and my little posts here and there I would really like some feedback and help with decision making since I do not have money falling out of my pockets. I do not want to spend money on something that will be more trouble than it's worth..............so here is my final question......Since I do all trail riding in Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Maryland and West Virginia on mostly tight wooded trails and steep hills with many opportunities to go wide open on fire access roads and hard roads would it be beneficial for me to get the Lectron 44, TM45 or is there something else out there for my riding style?? I am still wanting to port the intake and get the endcap for whatever I am going to use, but I would like to know of what carb to purchase. I would really like to see some feedback on this post as I am at the mercy of everyone else's experience. Please help.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

I am also new to the modding thing. I understand about the money issue. But from what i gathered on here is you want to do your modding in the proper order. What i mean by that is make sure your first mod will work with your last mod. I would not buy a mod to save a couple hundred, thats not going to work with what you doing next. Just save a little longer and due it right the first time. I am also trying to figure out the carb thing. We also run mostly trails and also due a little freindly drag racing. I hope someone with more exp. will chime in and help you more.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
H
Pro Rider

Old man racing claims the stock carb will support up to 65 hp. I'd do end cap, intake and clutch springs along with OMR stock carb mods then get it to a dyno for final tuning.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

I will ad my thoughts.I just posted about the Lectron 46HV and ported intake on another post but i will state my opinion again.Some seem to have trouble when using the Lectron for "trail"riding and that is understandable if they dont set the idle properly.It is my opinion that the Lectron 46HV is better than the stock carb for low speed riding and there is no comparison between the two for WOT throttle operation.I think that you would be very impressed with the Lectron 46HV/ported intake/and the end cap and from there you could later add a high compression piston and cams as i am doing.You apparently read how impressed i was when i installed my Lectron and i am not easily impressed with a bolt on performance product but the Lectron is that good.I am not claiming to be an expert but i do spend more time in the saddle than most so i know what works.My recommendation would be to step up to the 46HV rather than the 44 so that you would have a better carb for when you do decide to add to your build(and you will trust me).I have gone through countless motor builds over the years and i finally realize that cutting corners in the performance parts area usually just doesnt work.My Baja went from a stock slug to a snappy responsive fun ride with just the 46HV intake and end cap and i am sure it would do the same for you.Did i mention that i like the 46HV????ha ha

Old 03-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

I appreciate the responses. I do completely understand the concerns about "taking shortcuts" but I don't really have the option. I understand your point about using the 46 instead of the 44 for future upgrades, but I figure if I am going to have enough money to do future upgrades which are alot more expensive than the bolt-ons I will have the extra money to upgrade the carb as well. I do respect your opinion but I think I will stay with the 44 if I can get an answer that it will do a good job on the trails as well as wide open throttle. I hope there are folks out there that do serious trail riding to hone me in even closer on the detail as to whether the carb will do the job. I hope to get some more opinions.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't assume everyone is ignoring some of your threads. Sometimes threads get no responses simply because no one else knows the answer either.............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Dont rule out Ebay some great deals on Carbs a TM45 went for 225 the other day I think it went with a ported intake also, good carb for trail riding and Hightower has some great threads on this carb, they also sell end caps too, might be worth to check out.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

Thanks alot for the feedback guys, but what my main question: will the lectron 44 or the tm45 work good for low rpm riding on trails and does anyone have the experience with these carburators for trail riding??

Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Tell you what I have this link on the TM45 here you go Text Tm45 on the DS650

Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

thank you, that link was helpful

Quick Reply: I am just an amateur but please advise......