CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Another DS650 cam alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cam alternative

http://gw-racing-parts.com/english/p...php?Marken=BMW

Its for BMW F650 and from Germany. I was going to ask for dyno comparisons, but had too many pop ups in German and scared me due to Europe pc viruses (after the 3rd popup, felt real uneasy). Looks like a first class skilled machine shop though. 2 different cams, one for stock and one for racing. The one for stock seemed interesting to me. They do give specs and other details like most valid cam suppliers. If anyone gets dyno's or price info, please post. A very interesting cam alternative. Later, I will compare to A9/A10 cam specs and stock, which may not reveal anything - ? Any cam gurus, please offer help.

Thanks!!

Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Another DS650 cam alternative

wow that makes a lot of sense, eric would you come on here and give us all you know about cams> so we can go buy someone elses cams[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] it is buy and try or buy dyno time to run and compare. you can go to tvi and set up on the dyno and try all the cams you want. gary might even buy you lunch he's a pretty nice guy. oh wait eric is much closer for you i'm sure hook up on erics dyno and he will make you a cam guru. these guys make a living on these parts they supply for us.

cam gurus
1- eric- not sure think web
2- gary- web
3- the bom-pami
4-azsand- he owns them all
5-jeffinrivercity- pami
6-woods- i hear web

choices i like choices but come on, i'm going to say i'm watching these cylinders. it isn't going to suprise me these high compression pistons start doing some funny things in there and a little piston slap and wam my sleeve disconnected because it wasn't reseached, or connected at the top.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

My goodness Sandman. Those are quite a lot of reasons all right.
But none of the reasons I'm looking for. I believe Tornado cams will give me dynos when I collect information to email them. I can't replace a known good stock cam with anything without verification.

And I wasn't under the impression that builders were the only machining experts, as most are machining customers themselves. So I was sharing new cam-alternative direct-source knowledge and inquiring for some information if anyone was willing to share.

You do have some interesting observations and assumptions on business strategies and goals. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why would I need an alternative? when I have the best now!

Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

I chat with the Tech at Megacycle there coming out with some cams soon for the DS650 also just another choice to look into .Text Also Yjacket for some fun reading check this out that Hightower found Axle

Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

you know what, i ran the 720 sleeve from tvi, never had a problem. but to listen to people u would think it was junk. i read things like it was loud, followed by the piston was hitting the head, they must of missed that clay part from the guy, but i'm sure there compression was high and there mechanic was cheap.eric sends a guy a head and the valve springs are installed incorrect and everyone is how is eric going to stand behind it, i personally don't see where coil bind was his fault. these guys are just into the ds and offer us products, a guy like you comes on and oh i found piston in ct racing garage sell shelf, and what does that do, makes it where i can't get a piston because others are out of business. that is great if you can get them from j@e that is what's in my machine. I bought a nitrous system from gary at tvi, great system, but if i told you what i paid I'm sure you could find it cheaper, but would it be set up to work proper? no, and oh there are a few tricks to it, few of my raptor buddys had to re plumb there systems, but gary gave them that info for free. well anyways since you are on the path to high performance good luck, i suggest you try and meet up with those kentucy boys, and give them as run with the good deal machine, or come on out west, there a couple of un informed riders out here that need a schooling. where is dsnut i kind of like reading his threads better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

ERBE,

a1/a2 link didn't work - ?

Sandbomber,

For atv dragracing you may be right. That's not what I want, and I still need some verification. Compared to stock cam as a minimum, and if another bike configuration comparison is more favorable, then that would be welcome too.

I have seen few better machine shops than Tornado's, and no better specialized motorcycle machine shops with race team support and dyno as well; so right there, they have provided proof of expertise. Proof of product is still required, but would be worth the currency/shipping markup for the correct cam sought after. If there's a better all/mid/upper powerband cam, then show me with dynos compared to stock cam. Its not like you have to do it for every customer. Just one time.

Applicable dyno comparisons to stock or lifetime guarantee, either one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sandman,

You sound exactly like 2Big [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

That's kinda the whole point of America's consumer based capitalistic market - everyone wants the most bang for the buck, and smart shoppers research all there options before a purchase to ensure that they get what they pay for - and don't pay for more than they get.
And you dont ever shop at Wallmart ever??

Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

ERBE,

Excellent information at front of your source catalogue. I think there's some decent info on Tornado cam site with photos/pictures too, but not as detailed. This should help greatly understanding posted cam specs of source supliers and/or vendors.

Thanks!!

Old 03-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yjacket, when I was looking at another big bore motor a dyno chart would not have made me feel good about spending my money!! I wanted a company with a good track record, seat of the pants testing and took a flight to texas just to see a hpr motor on the track. These builders on this forum have spent countless hours and can tell you just the cam for you, trail or race.

Quick Reply: Another DS650 cam alternative