CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

First Impressions on Outlander 800.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions on Outlander 800.

My oldest brother just bought an Outy 800. My first impressions were what a soft suspension. When you give it the most minute amount of throttle the back end squats excessively with spring tightened all the way to the stiffest setting. The transmission is much harder shifting into gear than my P700. The engagement of the clutch is not the best in the world it's as if everytime it engages you ask yourself is that right? It is a little jerky not smooth engagement. And man that fan when it turned on it scared my brother. And he doesn't get easily scared, he runs a drag pipe on his DS but it caught him off guard to say the least. I was about 30 yds away and heard it clear as day and we weren't in the quietest of areas, I heard it over my son riding his 90R 5 ft from me. The air filter servicing doesn't seem to be as easy as my P700. Other than those few things the seat was very comfortable, the ergonomics and rider position were excellent. The handgrips felt great. Steering was lighter on the Outy. Storage space is much better than my P700. I liked how most of your fluids are located right up front and very easily accessible. Oil change seems to be very simple. Overall I really like the bike and am sure I will warm up to it even more when he gets through with the break in period. Then I can get a taste of that Rotax 800 power I have heard so much about. One last thing it does come up to 2 wheels very very easily.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with everything PrairieRidr said. Anyone have any tips or hints about the suspension setup. The pilot is a big guy similiar to me.

Anything he should know up front about the bike??

What are some mods available for the Outtys??

Old 03-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good report...but my first impression on the Outty 800 is WOW, a sport bike with 4x4....its sick fast to be a Utility bike. I can see good things coming to the Clash of the Titans in the Utillity Class in October....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Old 03-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

believe you have to ride a BMW F800ST (85hp) to ride a Rotax 800cc. Where did you come up with the idea Outy 800 (64 hp) is a Rotax? Rotax is an engine design, not just made by Bombardier. This misconception may help sell Outy 800's, but they are not made for racing. They do very well for all the things they were designed to do though.
I'm afraid you should do your history homework..Bombardier and Rotax (Rotax started in 1920) merged in 1970 and BRP-Rotax supplies engines for only their ATV's, BMW Motorcycles, Seadoo's, Skidoo's and aircraft engines. The 800cc EFI on the 06 Outlander IS A Rotax, and it is primarily why I buy Bombardier ATV's. As far as racing goes I know that BRP has developed a new class of racing cart with Rotax engines...

Old 03-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Old 03-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Please show me a reference that Outy is a Rotax. Nothing you said proved anything, and was loosely correlated facts.
Outty isn't a Rotax, An Outty is a Bombardier ATV that HAS a Rotax engine installed in it, hello? Outty= Outlander. Outlander is manufactured by Bombardier. The recreation division of Bomabrdier is now BRP. Bombardier Recreational Products. With that understood, BRP Outlanders have Rotax engines. The 2006 Bombardier (BRP) Outlander has the 800cc Rotax EFi.
Wrong, and I am at least 95% certain you don't have an Outy 800, and are a paid hack spreading propoganda.
You don't know anything about me, so I take offence to you saying I am a paid hack. If I could get paid for educating un-educated hacks like yourself, I would go for it, it's just sooo much fun. I do have an 06 Outlander 800 Max and I welcome you to come on down and take a ride on it..
Directly from the BRP-Rotax website:
http://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/ATV/
Powerful. Reliable. Easy to use. ROTAX engines are proven ATV superstars.
BRP-Rotax understands that ATVing is about sheer adrenalin. That's why our name is synonymous with performance in the ATV world. BRP-Rotax has not only created an extensive line of the most powerful ATV engines on the market, but also became synonymous for reliability and ease-of-use.

These liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, 4-stroke engines are designed specifically for ATV applications. They cover a range between 175 and 650 cc and come either with gearboxes - with semi-automatic, manual or foot-lever shifting - or with CVTs (continuous variable transmissions). These engines have proven themselves time and time again, providing superior low and mid-range torque as well as unmatched overall dependability.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Boy, did this topic go astray. Back to my questions. Anyone have any hints or tips for the Outty.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I admit, I finally found a reference to Outy 800, but you DID'NT (!) --- from your quote---->"...They cover a range between 175 and 650 cc...".

So I never until just recently found one, you NEVER found one, and they don't advertise on main Bombarider atv product introduction of 800 outty, but DO on 650 DS.

So the FACTS are 1) Bombardier isn't ADVERSTISING Outy 800 as Rotax design, if you have to Google extensively to find a single valid Rotax reference,
........................... 2) Outy 800 @64 HP is not near as impressive as BMW F800ST @85 HP WHICH THEY EXTENSIVELY Advertise as Rotax, like DS650 or F650,
........................... 3) Its the first Rotax V-design engine I've seen (as opposed to inlines and opposing inlines to date).
............................4) If Bombardier wants consumers to associate Outy 800 as a Rotax engine, then they should openly advertise as such.

But they don't, they won't, and every thing is relative. So based on a single reference you can't find, Outy 800 is a Rotax.
I still don't believe you have one, but the probabilities did go down from 95% confidence interval (CI) to 83%CI.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

I still don't believe you have one, but the probabilities did go down from 95% confidence interval (CI) to 83%CI.
Why would you or anyone care anyways, LOL. If you wanna believe I don't have a 800 Outlander then go ahead, I guess I don't. But, if your ever in Wyoming, give me a holler and we will go out and ride my "make believe" machine, ok?

Have a good night and just double check those meds partner..

Stay safe and RIDE!

Quick Reply: First Impressions on Outlander 800.