CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

First Impressions on Outlander 800.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions on Outlander 800.

To answer the suspension question I do know many are putting Max Springs on the Outty's and it is making it stiffer 400's and 800's. The fan is loud and at night you can tell cause the headlights flicker. If it scares you sittin on it don't get yer fingers near it LOL.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
These things are great for the DIYselfer everything is easy to get at. I had a 99 Prarie before and you needed to plan a day to change a headlight. I changed all the oils, adjusted the valves and checked the belt drive on my 400Outty in 4 hours, including beer breaks.
By the way I think no I'm sure those valves were on a ROTAX engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Bomb Point at the crosshair where the engine is, it's advertised[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: phred
To answer the suspension question I do know many are putting Max Springs on the Outty's and it is making it stiffer 400's and 800's. The fan is loud and at night you can tell cause the headlights flicker. If it scares you sittin on it don't get yer fingers near it LOL.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
These things are great for the DIYselfer everything is easy to get at. I had a 99 Prarie before and you needed to plan a day to change a headlight. I changed all the oils, adjusted the valves and checked the belt drive on my 400Outty in 4 hours, including beer breaks.
By the way I think no I'm sure those valves were on a ROTAX engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info. Where can I get my hands on a set of those max springs??

Anything else we might need to know about the bike?

Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

They are outlander Max springs dealer item. I have an 04 400 so I can't tell you much about the bigger brother other than WOW.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

"By the way I think no I'm sure those valves were on a ROTAX engine Bomb Point at the crosshair where the engine is, it's advertised"

Congradulations Phred, I never was good at Easter egg hunting. The only 800 Rotax reference on their main advertising site is a wand over popup, few if any people look for information. Now I know. Subliminal advertising at its best.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Range Rover

I don't know if it means anything, but the side cover on my Outty 800 V twin says Rotax on it.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Watch the infomercial, there are PLENTY of references to ROTAX. This guy is just trying to stir up pointless BS, just like the guy who said he "heard" the Outlander 650 was not EFI, even stated it twice.....

Old 03-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

Old 03-19-2006, 03:04 AM
Range Rover

OK, back to the subject matter. The 800 is fast, nimble, easy to ride and smooth. It's almost to easy. With EFI there is no choke or fuel valve. With CVT there is no shifting gears except reverse, hi, lo, neutral, and park. It's either in 4x2 or 4x4. Everything works great like it should.
Mods, I was thinking it would look great with some polished alu wheels but not sure what would be the best for it. Not crazy about the ITP's. The stockers are alu and probably very strong. So far #1 mod has been the removal of all those stupid warning stickers. Yes, I know I will end up in prison with Manson for it. I don't know when I will ever use the front rack so I was thinking of removing it and making a nice alu cover for the flewids. Might look more sporty. I also plan on making it 100+ pounds lighter, lol.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: EasyQuader
OK, back to the subject matter. The 800 is fast, nimble, easy to ride and smooth. It's almost to easy. With EFI there is no choke or fuel valve. With CVT there is no shifting gears except reverse, hi, lo, neutral, and park. It's either in 4x2 or 4x4. Everything works great like it should.
Mods, I was thinking it would look great with some polished alu wheels but not sure what would be the best for it. Not crazy about the ITP's. The stockers are alu and probably very strong. So far #1 mod has been the removal of all those stupid warning stickers. Yes, I know I will end up in prison with Manson for it. I don't know when I will ever use the front rack so I was thinking of removing it and making a nice alu cover for the flewids. Might look more sporty. I also plan on making it 100+ pounds lighter, lol.
My brother will be right there beside you in prison. He started pulling the stickers just after unloading it from the truck. He also pulled the red and yellow reflectors off the front and sides. Cant have those on a bike thats camo.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

First of all let me say that I am sorry for stating Rotax powered 800. Didn't mean to start a war. On to my post, we went riding and after making a few laps warming up bikes we did a drag race, I will let you know first off that the bike only has about 1-2 hours on it so it may get even faster. In a drag race about 100 yards long he consistently beat me by about 4-5 bikes pulling much harder than me on the top end. Just to get an idea of who is riding I am 6fft 235 on a 70lb lighter than stock prarie. He is a big fella about 400lbs on brand new Outlander 800. Next was some dried up ruts pretty deep from trucks and just did a little crawling and the Visco lock differential works great and the steering even when in 4 wheel drive is very light. Can't say the same for my P700. This bike is very smooth at high speeds on hardpacked dirt. We were only able to get it in the 65 mph range but felt very smooth. I didn't get a chance to jump the Outty 800 but as I watched my 400lb brother jump a tabletop it seems to soak up a little jumping flawlessly. Must say he is not a graceful jumper though. That's all I have to say for now.

Quick Reply: First Impressions on Outlander 800.