CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Boss noss NOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss noss NOS

DSNut,

The stock motor is NOT good for a 100hp shot of N20. A 20-25hp shot of N20 is about the limit. If you want more, talk to your builder.

As I have said before, the first limitation is the piston, then is simply a mater of what the bottem end can take.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
DSNut,

The stock motor is NOT good for a 100hp shot of N20. A 20-25hp shot of N20 is about the limit. If you want more, talk to your builder.

As I have said before, the first limitation is the piston, then is simply a mater of what the bottem end can take.
I didn't say it was good for a 100 shot. I said "for example" 100 hp total..........no matter how you make the horsepower. Reread my post.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Originally posted by: DSNUT
DSNut,

I didn't say it was good for a 100 shot. I said "for example" 100 hp total..........no matter how you make the horsepower. Reread my post.
Just making sure everyone else understands your post and does not misintrepret it. Liability is a bummer. Also, you cant use the logic you are using to determine the safe amount of HP for each quad. Ask your builder. Oh, and dont forget to ask your builder.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Marky,

I am my builder. I am responsible for the successes and failures of my machine. I make all my own choices as to what to buy and how I want it done. I buy my internal parts from HPR, I have a local shop (Klug Racing) that works with me on assembly and they offer porting, then I have separate head shop that does my valves and seats. Then Dave Moore does all my chassis stuff. I wasen't manufacturing logic, I was trying to interpret what you were saying so I could understand what you were trying to explain to me.

I am not trying to seem hostile but your advice to talk to my builder does me no good. Since I am specifically interested in Boss Noss I thought you might try to help me understand some of this.

If not, I will get to the info sooner or later.

Ron

Old 03-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boss noss NOS

Ron, I really dont think anybody knows the exact limit of nitrous these can take. If you can spell all the heat in the engine, you will be one step in the right direction. I dont think a 30 shot is anything to worry about on a built motor. I put a 20 shot threw a stock motor, with no problems at all, none. When I went to a 25 shot, I also added the forged piston. I leaned it down to the point of burning my plugs off. But the 25 is much better than the 20, and I hope the 30-35-40 and who knows what else I am going to try will be better also. Like was said, I think you can give the machine all it wants until the crank starts giving you fits. Then thats too much..........until you through that nice new billet roller crank in that can take 50 more ponies, oh boy.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Unbelievable

Old 03-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Thanks for the replies fellas, from what I understand the boss noss is the one to buy at this point, does everyone agree? Is it as simple as bolt on and go ? and I am still on the stock clutch and springs so I will need to upgrade?. I will need shipping to australia, should I deal with ondunes for the nos kit and clutch springs or is there other alternatives? I did see the boss noss kits cheaper on a previous post but had not heard of the company. I am thinking to go with the 20 shot, and how long will the smaller nos cylinder last? or is the larger cylinder a better option?

Gav

Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Hey 650viper that micro-switch setup on your throttle looks neat, I presume you have made that up yourself? , do you have a seperate on/off switch for the NOS or just turn off the tap on the bottle? Do you ride dunes much or trails as well. Over here I ride dunes only so I know the engine is under high load most of the time so I hope the rotax can handle it. When your dragging are you hitting the NOS in all gears or upper gears only?

Gav

Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Is that a "Yes" you will help me understand Noss or a "No" you will not?

Historically, you will never see a carburetor company give you advice on how to jet a carburetor. The reason why you wont is because the dealers that sold them the cam, exhaust and other high flow mods, not only understand his mods, but his motor and elevation as well. Dealers are responsible for jetting, not the carburetor manufacturer.

Likewise, you will never see a Nitrous company give advice on how much horsepower to run on a certain set of modifications. Approved BOSS dealers do best when they either stick to the 15HP that are given with the kit, or make educated decisions based on the motor builder’s experience. As said before, in my humble opinion, the stock motor can go somewhere between 20HP and 25HP with the BOSS kit. However, change the piston and you can go higher. Which piston you choose, and how much heat it can take, will depend on your piston manufacturer, not your NOSS equipment provider.

This is not any different than other parts that are made by the TOP end performance manufacturers. Builders have to make the judgment call as to how much horsepower their motor, that they built, will take. No N20 company will do that for you. Builders that gain this knowledge by trial and error will have the most to gain, because that knowledge is worth it to many of their customers. This type of testing is done extensively by the best builders in the business - For example Horsepower Research. Have you ever seen a company do so much testing in your life? This is why they are so successful.

Another one is On-Dunes Performance for example. On-Dunes goes out to the dunes, has a new motor, chassis and nitrous system to test. They bring the engine manufacturer in and also bring in BOSS that provides the nitrous system for a full test. All companies have much to gain from the test. However, the cost of the time, gas, motel and travel expenses can be huge. In the end, who holds the knowledge? On Dunes! I fully support dealers that are willing to test all products in order to support their customers – after all, they are the ones that truly benefit.

Often I get people that call me up and try and pin me down to how much nitrous a particular motor will take. They begin by listing about 10-15 motor mods, and then ask the big question. I suppose it would be easy to throw out some numbers, but the fact is, there are way too many varieties of parts in the power train for all the different quads to come up with some factor that will spit out for them the numbers they want. Experience is key. By dealers understanding one brand of piston, one brand of crank and one brand of big bore kit, they then can have the knowledge needed to give their customers the successful build they need, with and without NOSS.

While BOSS stands behind its products for 2 full years, the success of the entire build is always with the builder.

Believe it! IMHO, Its simply builder 101

Quick Reply: Boss noss NOS