CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Boss noss NOS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss noss NOS

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Hey just one more thing to keep in mind that we have found. The cdi of your choice will come into play with how much octane, and how big of a shot you will want to run.
Heres the example. My bike, 12-1 comp, vortex cdi. I can run a 25 shot on 100 octane at 4500' just fine. My brothers bike. 11-1, big gun cdi. Burns the tips off the plugs with 100 octane and a 25 shot. 20 shot max on 100octane. Dsaholics bike. procomm cdi, he has the same issues as my brothers.

Now I think this has to do with timing. I run the full advance on my vortex, but I think the procomm boxes have more advance than that. Dsaholic tried full 110 in his to run the 25 shot, and said it still burnt the plugs off.

Good luck gents.

Jed,

I think you and I are saying the same thing here, but its good to get a different perspective. I always recomend 4 pts of octane higher than your piston recomends. So, you octane will naturally be higher for higher piston compressions. However, what throws a wrench into the mix is, as you said, the CDI box. N20 does not like advanced timing CDIs. What is does is narrow your window of "safe" nitrous with regards to the danger of pre-ignition. I have not heard of any problems with the Vortex because I believe its not that advanced. But I can tell you that I have had problems with my one of my CDI's I use on my EX.

As blackhawk pointed out, we like to run advance timing on our quads under normal riding conditions, but when running N20, especially at levels above 25hp or more, you want to retard the timing if possible. The Vortex is a great way to do that.

I currently run my stock CDI on my ex, but am saving up for the Vortex.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Most aftermarket cdi's offer up to +7 over the stock maximum of +25. As I recall the Vortex, Procom, Ron Wood are all +7 at peak advance. Now the curve coming on earlier in the rpm range where there is more load (slower moving bike weighs more to the engine) might make a difference.

If you guys were running the same plug temperature, carb settings, compression and fuel and the cdi was the only difference, you must be right on the edge of what you can handle........unless you were running the N2O timing curve available with the Vortex which includes lower advance settings and possibly a couple degrees of retard at the top of the rpm range.........

Hmmmm......

Old 04-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boss noss NOS

Nut, ya I dont know the numbers. I tried a Ron Woods setup on my bike, no nitrous and it wouldnt run, just spit and sputtered like she was lean.
And of course we run it on the edge, is there any other way?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Got a chance to do a bit of research on the weekend regarding boss noss, found there website and there is a lot of good reading and pics for those that have not seen it before. I just typed in Boss Noss in google and went to there website, I think it was bossseat.com ?

Marky, previously you mentioned the tank required drilling, I notice on the website they say just to tee into the fuel line to the carb for the fuel dump, is there a reason that can not be done on the DS?

I will be fitting the 60% clutch springs.

Gav

Old 04-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

The website is out of date, all ATV kits require a separate fuel line to the tank. This change was to make sure there was never a fuel starvation issue to the carb.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

marky wheres my stupid magazine at ? i need something to read

Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Originally posted by: 2BIG2BFAST
marky wheres my stupid magazine at ? i need something to read
Do you mean catalog? Want me to send ya one?

Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

yes and yes thankyou

Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

The web guy has a way to request them at this address: http://www.bossseats.com/Catalog/index.asp

Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

If you want to feel a little bump on the trails this is the system that will give you what you pay for......ask Sandbomber, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Boss noss NOS