CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Planet Sand, Bombardier First!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planet Sand, Bombardier First!

I just wanted to share my thoughts of the last couple of days as they were saw through the eyes of the Spiderman....first of all I want to thank Jeff Ross/THEBOM for allowing me to pilot his Pami 830 knowing that I havent had any experience on a Pro Tree in the past. Words cannot express my respect for this man. Thank you.

We started out race day on Friday with a 4.4 qualifying pass on motor in the 4-Stroke Limited Class. Now during the first round of eliminations we ran another 4.4 pass against an SSR YFZ 450 who ran a 4.6 sec pass but beat me on the light. So of course, we were eliminated. We parked the bike and rallied behind 222 piloting Sandbombers HPR 855. 222 snapped a carbon fiber axle while doing a "burnout" before staging for his qualifying pass. So, they got it swapped out and was back up to make his qualifying and ran a very low sec pass, maybe a 4.3-4.4 range. Round 1 was over and 222 was still in the hunt against several 450's on chassis's including but not limited to, Finishline Racing, Thumper Racing (who won it last year), Dax Deroen's 450, Airforce 1's 450, Nicolas Predator's and of course Finishline Racing's Raptor. 222 maintained those 4.3-4.4 passes and maybe even a 4.2 thrown in the mix. Dont quote me on the exact times for 222. I dont want to cause any confusion. Im just trying to tell this to the best of my ability. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] OK so lets move on. The next round was sorted and of course 222 was still on top facing Dax Deroen's YFZ 450 on a chassis in the final's. The light was green and the dust was settled and 222 beat out the 450 with another 4.3-4.4 pass. Dax ran a 4.6sec pass. Way to go 222. Sandbomber was grinning like a oppossum eating peach seeds, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]....of course, I was too...in fact, there wasnt many of us who were'nt. LOL! So much excitement in the DS Camp.

OK, Day 2! Saturday started off with us racing after the kids class. Now we are about to pull the 4-Stroke Unlimited Class to the staging lanes for the qualifying passes. We roll up with all our ducks in a row and bam, 4.3 sec pass right out the gate. We run back to the trailer and do a little adjustment. Came back to the line and guess what? We face 222 in the first round of eliminations, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] What a rider. I must admit, I let it get to my head...knowing Im facing a guy who has been running on these trees since his teens...I knew I had to get him on the light and .......I CHOKED! Yep, you guessed it, I red-lighted. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I was not a very happy camper, but Sandbomber was all teeth, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]! Very excited to say the least. Oh well, thats racing. OK, now we have 2 hopes left in this race and thats MrHp and 222. So, we parked the bike and rallied behind our fellow brothers in this hunt. THEBOM looked at both of them and asked them "What do yall need?". 222 replied "Some Air". So, I broke and ran to my Polaris Ranger, jerked out my air tank and THEBOM'S air gauge. Bo and I started adjusting the air pressure on 222's ride. Eric's first pass out the gate was a 3.96sec pass then he went to back it with another 3.99sec pass. In case some of you "not so hardcore" dragracers didnt know...this was a WORLD RECORD for a single cylinder 4-stroke engine. The DS's made short work out of the rest of the competition and of course you know what happens next...yep, 222 faces MrHp in the finals. I might have my wired crossed on this one because I was thinking Airforce1's bike was right there in the top 3 aswell. I might be wrong. What a picture perfect moment my friend. Wish all of you could have been there. We were watching the both roll into the pre-stage lights...then the stage lights...the ambers started to fall then the dirt started to fly, they were off. When the dust settled the win went to MrHp with either a 4.0 or sub 4 sec pass. So sweet my friend, so sweet to watch 2 DS's face off but on the same token knowing that one has to lose. It was great. The only thing that would have made this any greater is if WE would have faced one of them in the finals, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

OK, OK, onto the next class of the day, 4-Stroke/2-Stroke Single Cylinder Unlimited. This was a double elimination class. First up we made our qualifying pass at 4.2 sec. The first round of eliminations we ran a 4.5 sec pass against Doug Nicolas's Predator and the frontend fell off about 100' from the finish line. The bike died at the end and I was shocked. We got the win but I thought surely we were out of the race. So, THEBOM rushed to the end of the track and we started trying to diagnos the problem and found that we had burned the ends off of both spark plugs. We hurry to replace the plugs, she fires right up. So, we get back in line for our second bout. We are up next to face a stretched 250R. We stage and the ambers lite, we are off, pass the finishline with a 4.1 sec pass and the R is nowhere in sight, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Im all teeth now, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I start back to the staging lanes and start seeing smoke, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. I look down and my left boot was soaked in oil. I immediately shut off the bike and motioned for THEBOM. The cam chain tensioner had totally backed out the motor. Oil was blowing everywhere. So, we run to the trailer, search frantically for another tensioner. We were lucky to find one and when we get back to the bike, FAST69 is waiting and says "Guys my bike is right over there if you need anything off of it". We say thanks a bunch. We throw another tensioner on and add some oil then off we go back to the staging lanes. OK, so by this time, 222 had been eliminated and MrHp had sent Packards big single back to the trailer. We are now facing Airforce1's 450. We staged then we launched, I jumped out ahead by atleast 3 bikes, at the 200-250' mark I was looking back at the bike and all of a sudden, BAM! She laid down. He flew by, I coast to the side and feel something warm on my left leg...I look down and see FIRE! WOW! I jump off the bike, throw off the seat and start fighting a fire. The pod filters had ignited and were burning and I just knew that I was about to burn THEBOM'S bike down to the ground right there on the side of the track. We had to throw dirt on the fire to get it extinguished. The bike was ruined. I felt so bad. I had done a terrible job at jockeying the bike, cutting the lights and now this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Jeff acted like it wasnt any problem. I was like man, I just tore this bike up. He looked at me and said, "Thats racing". What a class act. BTW, the Airforce1 bike ran his best time of a 4.08 and to think that I was looking back at this bike when she laid down...oh well, thats racing, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Well, Jeff looked at me and said, "Lets pull the bike back and start rallying for 222 and MrHp". I said, yep lets do it. Needlesstosay, they made short work of the rest of the 2-strokes and 4-strokes. They faced off again in this class. What a race it was....MrHp came out on top by just a margin again. What a week of racing it was. I will have to let Eric, Randall and Jeff tell their side of the story. But this is what I remembered and thought it done not only us who were there some good for both of these camps to come together to make this thing happen, but it done all of us in this great big ole family of DS owners who love and enjoy this sport with such a passion some good as well and that my friend is what its all about. Im sorry if I left anything out. Im dead tired and headed to bed.

Spiderman

Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Great job Scott! Sounds like you did real good under the circumstances. Just some bad luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Thanks for the report![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 04-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Choose, thanks so much for all the updates. It has made me feel like I am part of this whole thing. I am not a drag racer, but I do know what teamwork and standing behind your brother in arms is all about, and this is one of the coolest examples of teamwork and comrodere I have ever heard of. BS and politics aside this is awsome. We're getting updates, everyone is offering congratulations and there seems to be a sense of pride within the Bomb ranks that does not exist amongst other manufacturers. I am proud to be, even in the smallest way, part of this and so very proud to be a Bomb owner because of the people we have here in this community. I have never met face to face with anyone who won a race today but I am proud to offer my congratulations and be just a small part of this thing that is happening in this forum. Great job to all involved. I can't wait to here more first hand accounts from Sandbomber, Mr. HP, 222, and TheBom. Thanks again Choose for the dilligent work updating those who could not make the trip. WAY TO GO BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Good Job Scott!!! You did GREAT for never running a pro tree. Those are still some awsome times. I cant believe that The 2 strokers went down like that. Wonder what beech will think? LOL

You shouldnt feel bad Scott. Stuff happens and it happens for a reason. Sometimes the luck goes the other way.

For the little amount of time Eric had, He made history and yall were a part of it . Congrats to all.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

choose, thanks for the near visual of the day,,,i have enjoyed reading the updates,,,,on all the threads,,,from everyone

Old 04-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Aaaaaaaaaaa choosetolose04, do you write for a living?
I don't remember such an easy to read, and great write-up in my life. Not even in so called pro magazines.
Seriously, if you don't write for a living, you should think about doing it.
You could pick up some serious cash as a free lance writer for some of these punk magazines.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

It was great to see the 4 strokes winning in the 2 stroke class.!!!! Believe it or not but sandbomer has one ugle stepchild, and it ran good with 222 at the helm. For such an ugly bike it ran awsome.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Choose, Like others said, it was very well written. I'm so glad the DS's kicked azz. Way to go guys. They set the bar high, real high (or real low depending on how you look at it. lol.) =]

Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

choosetolose04...wow what an excellent write up dude. I could actually see the drags as I read your peice.
Sorry to read about your eventual luck. But sounded fun while it lasted. Like TheBomb said though. "that's racin".
Congrats to all the DS guys.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Great write up Choose I felt like I was there.. instead of at at work all day thanks... what a great Day![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Planet Sand, Bombardier First!