CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Turbo Bombusa 4 first test ride!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Bombusa 4 first test ride!

well the bike has been done for several days now and it has been raining steady for 2 weeks. finally the sun decided to come out today so rolled the bike out of the shop and mounted up some stock rear tires and wheels. I gave the bike a quick alignment and checked all my brakes and rolled out to the street. I figured I should warm it up good before I opened it up and wanted to check out my brakes and make sure everything felt right so I went back and forth down my rural 1/2 mile road a few times just cruising and listening to the bike. man the pipe sounds BITCHIN! and the throttle response is out of this world! everything seemed perfect as it should since everything is brand new. I did a wide u turn at the end of the street and saw that there were no cars coming so I clicked the bike into 1st and eased away. Keep in mind , since I have never run the bike before and everything is brand new including the motor, turbo and waste gate, I have no idea where the boost is set and wont know how high the boost will go till I open the throttle with a load on the bike so I"m a little nervous. a stock busa motor makes 185 horse power at the crank and loses about 25 horse getting the power to the rear wheels on a quad. 1 pound of boost equals 12hp on a busa motor and 300 rear wheel horse power is the number Im shooting for . this kit is capable of 30lbs of boost which would be devastating to stock motor . so I need 12 pounds of boost which will make 320 horse at the crank and 304 to the ground. anyway I ease through first gear and click into second and roll the throttle back. its instantly at red line so I shift again, instantly its at the rev limiter and I keep shifting. every gear it smokes the tires! its like driving on ice! even 6th gear it smokes the tires as soon as you open it up ! at probably around 100mph I let off the throttle and Im not even half way down the block. when I stop to check everything out both rear tires are still smoking and there is now bits of rubber flung all under the rear fenders. DAM! I forgot to watch the boost gauge! so I head back to the end of the street to try it again. after I turn around I can see that there are now 2 8 inch wide black burnouts all the way down my street as far as I can see and you can see exactly where I shifted each gear because the burnouts stop for about 10 feet at each place I shifted. this time I eased through first second and thrird and just as soon as I clicked into 4th at about 3000 rpm's I rolled the throttle on. at right about 5000 rpms the boost guage went to 15 and the tack went to the redline and the tires went up in smoke untill I shifted then the same thing all the way through high gear! anyway its a beast! I am very pleased and the best part is, this is something I can ride all day long! I really had no idea it would hit so hard when the boost came on. Im glad Im keeping this one because even though I have had alot of fast stuff it has given me a thrill that I havent had in a long time. when I pulled up in the driveway my wifes face was white as a sheet as she had been watching me . all the hair was standing up on the back of my neck and I had that "just won the super bowl feeling". anyway I am pretty proud of it . Im also very close on my 12 pounds of boost and will turn it down just a smidge to my 12 pound goal and ride this bad boy! hoping to hit sand mountain next week for a few days if the weather permits. cant wait to see how it feels on the hill where I can realy put a load on it. will post some pics and maybe a movie when I get back from the sand. its nice to be completely pleased with something you built yourself with your own two hands. I dont think I would change a thing about it.... so far!

Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

that thing sounds nuts, i would die if i ever had one of those, i would try to trail ride it and crash and die

Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds absolutly nuts.Can i try it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Youll have to bring it to Michigan though.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

im curious how much $$ it took to build that, if i had a DS, and i wanted to make one of those, how much would it cost to make it exactly like yours, including the hayabusa motor, turbo, everything?

Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

well the brand new motor was $4300 and the turbo kit would run you around $4500. tires and wheels were around $600, power coating was $650, the quad itself cost me $200 lots of other parts, but figure it would cost you around 12k in parts and around 1000 hours labor if you can do your own tig welding and metal fab work

Old 04-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a freaking monster-BE CAREFUL! good job!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Man, I hope you get some video... I'd love to see that thing in action... it sounds like its freakin' insane![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

your description is sick...any chance your wife can video tape you on the street again and post it up..

or did you spend all your money on the busa and forgot a camera..LOL

Old 04-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a handfull, should be fun at the dunes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Can I ask where you picked up a brand new hayabusa motor from, and the turbo? is that an after market kit? All you need now is a bit of NOS for those hills you dont quite have the power for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Very well finished project supersonic, I have seen a buggy over hear with a busa motor and that was very impressive to watch perform, I can imagine what your quad goes like[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Gav

Quick Reply: Turbo Bombusa 4 first test ride!