CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lets talk lightweight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk lightweight!!

Mario ya might need to talk to Jed now!!! He thinks Im nuts LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its all about the money....just get ya check book ready....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

First off if your gonna stay with the OEM configuration of the main frame, your looking at some very serious bucks. Now the first question you need to ask yourself is "Am I gonna be strictly dragger or a dune/dragger". After that question is answered then you can proceed to shuck out the bucks. Lets just say your gonna be a dune/dragger...well, folks want to have strenght and still be lightweight. With that said, your looking at some lightweight a-arms ($750-900), aluminum drag axle ($650-800), jj&a lightweight wheels/tires ($350-450), aluminum gas tank ($300-350), drag radiator (ebay $50, LOL) real deal radiator ($300), swingarm ($400-900), shocks ($500-600), chain ($100), sprockets ($80), steering stem ($250-300), handlebars ($20), subframe ($250-300), tie rods ($250-300), oil tank ($250-300), shave seat & fenders, no front brakes and this should get you started. Now if your really wanting to get serious......just let me know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

hey jed im making you a rigid chassis. you cut the shafts to the length that you want , it all depends on the angle that you want your bike to ride in, choose your letting to much out i need all the help i can get

Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just wish that I would have had all these options available to me whenever I was spending the big bucks on my chassis. Not that I regret my current setup but just the mere fact that Sandbomber showed us how to knock down some serious weight of these pigs with utilizing the OEM configuration. Yeah it cost a lot of money to do that, but hey, whats money? Ya cant take it with ya, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img].

In all seriousness, the parts are out there, all you have to do is go get em. But I can also tell you big hp guys will encounter a problem with trying to launch the lightened OEM chassis's as hard as the drag chassis bikes. It just wont happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
I just wish that I would have had all these options available to me whenever I was spending the big bucks on my chassis. Not that I regret my current setup but just the mere fact that Sandbomber showed us how to knock down some serious weight of these pigs with utilizing the OEM configuration. Yeah it cost a lot of money to do that, but hey, whats money? Ya cant take it with ya, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img].

In all seriousness, the parts are out there, all you have to do is go get em. But I can also tell you big hp guys will encounter a problem with trying to launch the lightened OEM chassis's as hard as the drag chassis bikes. It just wont happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Ah Man, I thought we were talking about a different kind of lightweight.....Oh-well, this is all great information. My plan is to make mine radio controlled and eliminate the need for a rider at all. I can do that for just a couple of hundred and that will get it close to any ride and rider weight out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 PM
eRo
Range Rover

who is making a lightweight oil tank?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

But I can also tell you big hp guys will encounter a problem with trying to launch the lightened OEM chassis's as hard as the drag chassis bikes. It just wont happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Why not?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
But I can also tell you big hp guys will encounter a problem with trying to launch the lightened OEM chassis's as hard as the drag chassis bikes. It just wont happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Why not?

It seems they have such a hard time keeping them straight when they rise above a certain amount of hp. I think we seen this time and time again at the Clash in March. The weight transfer just isnt as consistent or efficient on an OEM chassis as opposed to the drag chassis due to the fact that the OEM chassis's are designed for a general purpose ride. The drag chassis's are purpose built. When you stretch the OEM chassis's then your able to take full advantage of traction and momentum and are able to direct it in a very straight line. Atleast this is my opinion on what I have witnessed with variable bikes anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

hey jed i hope there are no hard feelings im just trying to get every little advantage over t6he compitition i can. dang man i even had mario gonna make a rigid frame and cut his front hubbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, the brakes are gone, shrouds gone, front hubs will be in the shop within a couple days to be turned, tires are on the way. Now I just need to decide which axle and swingarm. Is there a axle out there that all the stock ds stuff fits on? Just a shortened stocker out of aluminum, like the titanium ones were? And how abouts swingarms?

Has anybody had any success with hits the whoops hard with the lighter rear shocks? Now I mean two footers at 50+?

Quick Reply: Lets talk lightweight!!