CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lets talk lightweight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk lightweight!!

Fox floats are about 3.5 lbs each and completely dunable. Compared to about 13 lbs each for stockers, this is a significant savings.

Custom made c-molly a-arms that are stock width and yamaha triple point hubs........with brakes in-tact for duning.

c-molly steering stem.

c-molly minimal subframe, relocate battery up front.

c-molly swingarm and axle with yamaha carrier and hubs.........all JJ&A style but custom made.

Bead to bead tires on 8" rims hook up well and are light but they are tough enough to dune and trail.

520 conversion.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you have jj&a make you the chrome molly stuff custom just for you? If so what kind of greenies did it cost you? Also, what did the floats set you back?
What kind of weight is the axle and swinger?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, JJ&A didn't provide anything for me. I referred to them to describe what my hardware looks like.

Fox Floats - $595 through a guy that knows a guy

I am not sure about the swingarm weight. It is slightly lighter than a stock '05 swinger. Stock swingarm in '05 is already quite light and my new one is +6.

The axle kit weighs between 13 - 15lbs depending on how you weigh it. (carrier or no carrier) I think I saved about 23 lbs in the back with axle and swingarm. I expect to lose another 12 lbs in the back when the subframe is finished.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

And to think i am sitting here getting excited about trying out my full weight stock bore with HPR parts this weekend.LOL.I will eventually try to lighten my Baja up some but i pound through the whoops pretty hard at times and i want strength.The Fox floats sound pretty interesting DSNUT,are they a superior ride when compared to the stock fronts?I am into shaving weight as long as i can be sure that i can still ride as hard as i want without any problems.DSNUT.You ride Florence so you know how whooped out and rough the sand can get and you can probably relate to why i would be concerned about any weak points created by lightening.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Jed, I have to admit I will NOT run my bike through whoops 2ft deep 55mph+ due to lighter parts and rear shaw pressure....... Im saying this mainly for the safety factor. The geometry is way different then a stock shocked DS when running whoops and trailing after you make big changes. Ive had mine at many different angles with shaws and without. As long as the fronts are floating youll be ok IF you dont lose momentum IN A STRAIGHT line, very risky.

I can run the big whoops with the BEST of them with a stock shock DS. The shaws hammer the heck out of the bike... When I tried the tripple rate works shocks I blew them up on my first 15ft dropp off semi flat landing on the dunes. Severe whoops would have done the same possibly. The stockers ended up being much more durable for rough terrain.

What ever you do, get used to your bike once you change the stance. My bike is nose heavy. I have to manipulate that weight transfer.... Depending on sand density, paddles, stance etc.

And you couldnt PAY me to go down the face of Sand MT Utah with no front brakes. I go up it and come back down the valley.lmao[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Lol I hear ya Mario, the face can be pretty intimidating. But you do bring up a good point, and I am glad you did. Bomber told me that was something to be concerned about with the shaws, and I blew up my works a couple weeks ago, so I threw the stocker back on my wifes quad and all was well. It just to bad they are so heavy. I would like to try out the foxs though. They have been pretty successful on the sleds to this point, so they cant be to bad.

I am worried about the swinger length though. As you mentioned, you have to keep the front up through them whoops, and if I go to long that wont happen. I run a +2 timmy boy arm now, and have liked it. But who knows with the new work being done, I might just have to wait on the arm until I can ride it and find out. But oh boy is that swinger and axle heavy, with everything sitting there, good night! Now I know why Bomber is so addament about his axles. Durablue axles are sure tough, but man are they heavy.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

JJ&A axle is very, very hard to beat. Proven and a lifetime warranty to boot. Not to mention the 9lbs for total axle assembly including hubs.

Jed, I would hold off on sending my front hubs off. Just sell those to offset some cost for the chromoly a-arms and spindles from on dunes. Then throw some spindle mount wheels up front and be finished with the weight problem on the frontend.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Dont get me wrong, The light ondunes front ends have been tested by Bomber himself and others and are tuff as nails. Glenn just recomends a rear shock that is soft and wont bottom out to save the axle. With your new found power you WILL need a longer swingarm. I had a +2 at one time and it was fun and kept the power to the ground. If you do go with a lighter front end, You will need a longer swingarm possibly.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A set of +2 forward a-arms and a +4 swingarm should get the job done on a dune/dragger. +6-8 on a drag only. Of course, Im talking about 100hp plus....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Choose, I already have some Timmy Boy chrome a-arms that are +1/+1out. I am pretty partail to those at this point and dont see me trading for anything else right now. But if I could get a spindle mount for those I would. Any ideas?

Mario, is that setup for dumont or up here? I found when I picked up Markys bike on the coast, that +2 was barely enough there, but when I got it home it was a little over kill for all motor. It works perfect for the 75 or so horse I been putting to it. But then again I am lightening up the front and adding 20-25 more ponies. +4?

Quick Reply: Lets talk lightweight!!