CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas prices

Alot of the before mentioned problems have been coming for along time. Long before GW was elected. Sadly enough we are doing it to ourselves, by not taking action. Like Fatholly mentioned about gas having to go up to the $7-8 range. Alternative (green) fuel is available. Problem is it is still more expensive than gasoline, in doesn't burn as well, giving the user less power and fuel mileage. If things are going to change we have to start making a bigger demand on the alt. fuels and paying the price. Why are we not all using natural gas or propane? Because buying gas is easier and people don't want to spend the money to convert their vehicles. The Gov. even offered great tax breaks and incentives a few years back to convert.

Maybe those people that want to use gas and feel that they are being held hostage by the Middle East should be blaming the tree huggers who stopped our current Gov. from tapping our own oil reserves in Alaska. How much oil do we get from Iraq? Is oil really the reason for the war?

Congress voted for the war in Iraq, both Republicans and Democrats. So we can't just blame one person for it now.

I am not trying to fuel a political debate (pardon the pun). Nor am I defending or attacking any political party. All I am trying to say is that we are the people of The United States Of America. We need to look past our tunnel vision and fix the problems within this country. Quit putting the blame on others. Unite and once again become "ONE NATION UNDER GOD".

P.S. The Gov. of Az. is a woman not a man.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

i have a truck that gets about 9 miles to the gallon, as far as the dont buy anything gringo day coming up may 1 , i am happy about that i will not have to wait in any lines at any stores or gas stations so actually i wished they would do this twice a month it works for me. i have tried to explain to my workers all this is gonna do is hurt the mexicans that protest. there gonna lose a days work and then they are just gonna have to buy more groceries and stuff than they would have on may 1.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

If anyone thinks the President has control over the price of Gasoline, they need to stop listening to the news and get an education.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Ever hear of oil futures? When demand is increasing these get bid up based on trend. The oil companies watch this then they raise prices because they can shift some of the blame to wallstreet.

Oil companies are good companies. I have no problem with them. They are taking advantage of a arket where in their industry, demand is growing every year but supply of crude oil that is able to be refined into gasoline has not been allowed to increase even close to the amount demand has increased for the last 25 years of the environmental movement. We can get our hands on plenty of oil. You just can't burn it in your car.

We needed to be aggressivly fighting with environmentalist groups back in the early '90's for more refinement capability so we could supply more fuel as the demand grows.

I am also all for alternative fuels if they are viable and don't impact the economy too dramaticaly.

The ideal circumstance in my mind would be to have increased refinement capacity as demand increased, meanwhile improving technology on alternative fuel until it was viable, allowing us to transition. Unfortunately gas is going to have to get extremely expensive before there is enough margin availible in alternative fuels for a private based company to invest in the concept. As long as Gas is only $3.00 per gallon, the return on investment isn't there. When gas hits $7.00 per gallon, the return will be there because alternative fuel can then be reasonably sold for $7.00 or $8.00 making it attractive to an entreprenuer.

Bush would love to have a magic fix for our fuel situation because he would have better approval if gas prices were low. Unfortunately he doesn't have much power over what some what we are facing at the pumps. I wish he did......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Btw, it won't help in the short term to start building more refineries. My understanding is that it is about a 15 year turn around before they can start increasing production. We should have done this back in the '90's.

Oh yeah, gas prices are only indirectly effected by the fact that crude is up to $70 per barrel. We have a few different issues here and the price of crude is what I was referring to with the oil futures bit. Gas prices are much more effected by supply and demand then by the price of crude. Does that make sense?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

Originally posted by: 2BIG2BFAST
i have a truck that gets about 9 miles to the gallon, as far as the dont buy anything gringo day coming up may 1 , i am happy about that i will not have to wait in any lines at any stores or gas stations so actually i wished they would do this twice a month it works for me. i have tried to explain to my workers all this is gonna do is hurt the mexicans that protest. there gonna lose a days work and then they are just gonna have to buy more groceries and stuff than they would have on may 1.
No no no... you got it all wrong. Its don't buy anything guero day, (pronounced we-doe for all those who don't read spanglish) When I was in high school I used to think my name was guero.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

gringo guerro
tequila takillya
no matter how you pronounce it ,it all comes out the same, i wonder what my race gas is gonna top out at.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
I started looking at a Motorcycle, at 100 plus to fill a tank I can get a bike at 40 plus miles per gal, Bite Me OPEC, hey Yjacket know a place to get a good deal on a F650GS?
If you want efi, look at a CS look in ebay: slick band drive, bimoto-like frame like Norton and HD with aux trans due to strict conveyor requirements. All EFI are about 75mpg. Faster top end than carbs, but some hesitation low end. CS is geared lowest so least problem of efi bikes with low end. Quit making, so a classic already, but same parts except band, frame, transmission gearing, and tank under seat. EFI have better handling/brake systems.

If want carbed like your engine, look for best: all the same. About 40+ mpg, but can do more things performance wise w/o BMW mapping on EFI.

I like mine, but wouldn't mind a CS later. GS's are probably little faster due to gearing, but more hesitation at lower end too. CS never fool with chain, BMW's new cheap/light weight drive shaft starting on F800 - CS 650 was test for 800 and later. Worked out well.

AND MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DUAL PLUG. They changed features off and on with different models.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

I think more and more ATV guys should be taking a hard look at E85. Higher octane (about 105) and quite a bit less money than regular gas.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Gas prices

Originally posted by: FatHolly

No no no... you got it all wrong. Its don't buy anything guero day, (pronounced we-doe for all those who don't read spanglish) When I was in high school I used to think my name was guero.
I thought it was Greek sandwich day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

Well here is the thing. I was at one time a supporter of GW. Now I am not. First of beacuse of his BS of offering more green cards. I am don't have a problem if someone wants to come to our country and do it that right way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], but if ya don't want to do it the right way then throw them back on a bus and ship them out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] All they are doing is crowding our country, taking our tax dollars, and costing us citizens more money all around.

Next on the whole gas thing. It is time that we start to tap into our own oil supplies and start using them. That will put the hurt on these stupid companies or better yet we are over fighting some stupid war that is just costing more and more money (God Bless Our Troops!) It is time we just went over there and put an end to this war and then make them pay us back for it buy getting their oil.

It is time for GW to grow a spine and be a man and step up for what this Country was built on and for what it stands for. ONE NATION UNDER GOD...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sorry hate to vent[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas prices

What oil are you planning on refining if there were more refineries avaliable DSNUT, I have a problem with oil companies price gouging the american consumers, and our President is owned by those folks!

If we drilled Alaska there would be enough for about 6 months under current US consumption rates. Are we going to drill up and destroy the whole planet before we all come to the same conclusion. Dont blame the greenies for an antiquated fuel source, the answer is alternative fuels the oil companies/car manufacturers have the technology they're just waiting until they have bled us dry with fossil fules before they have to make the expensive switch to those fuel sources.

We all just sit back and take it until they are done f'n with us and our pocketbooks.
I bought a Desiel truck last year because it has historically been a cheaper fuel source, and I can run Bio-desiel when it becomes more avaliable, 2 weeks later the price of desiel went over the price of super unleaded for the first time in history! Its cheaper to produce but they finally realized that this country's economy depends heavily on the trucking industry and they decided to go after them as well, and blame it all on the war in Iraq, they need more jet fuel dont ya know.

We have no choice but to pay the higher prices, and support efforts to realize alternative fuels.
Didn't you pay attention to GW earier this week he even supports it now LMFAO.

Quick Reply: Gas prices