CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

piston life.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston life.........

how long do you guys think a piston should last in a 2000 ds, motor never open,piped and jetted only

Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A long, long time. If everthing was well maintained, I would say as long as the bike itself holds up. Heck I have had some 20+ year old three wheelers still kicking. They blow a little oil, but still run.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Are you losing compression, or blowing a lot of oil. Cause if not then I've payed this game before.... convince yourself that you need a new piston because "man its just not running right" and "I bet a new piston would get the pep back"... yea I battle myself with this one all the time.... its like, should I pay my car insurance or buy some parts. I'm lucky I went ahead and got responsible in the past couple years, cause there was a time when I might have made a bad decision. Just do it... from your sig it looks like you have done all the other stuff... get you some poop man.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes they last a very very long time, but a key to the life is air filter maintenance, microdirt from overly dirty filers or filters not oiled properly does a lot of wear on the cylinder wall and rings, as well as wear on intake valves and seats.

if everything feels fine then you're good for as many more years, but there is gain to be had from a freshen up no doubt! I'm with Fatholly, do it!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 that I just took apart a few weeks ago. It ran fine when I took it apart, but I had to repair the tranny (bent Shift forks). I decided to bite the bullet when I had it apart and install a HPR 730 kit.

I was very suprized when I pulled the cylinder off. It looked very clean, no marks, piston looked great as well. This motor would have run for a long time the way it was.

I have owed the bike since it was 2 weeks old. I installed the rev box without a limiter after about 2 weeks. Have driven this bike like it was stolen and every thing still looked great inside.

I was always very strict on my service. Take care on anything and it should last !!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

bike still runs great i was just wondering

Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Hightower
if everything feels fine then you're good for as many more years, but there is gain to be had from a freshen up no doubt! I'm with Fatholly, do it!
So does the ATV need a fresh piston to run better, or just fresh rings?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RPyfz450
Originally posted by: Hightower
So does the ATV need a fresh piston to run better, or just fresh rings?
You need a 14:1 piston for a freshen up. Unfortunately that is the only way to freshen things up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]