CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

*CANADIANS, PLEASE HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *CANADIANS, PLEASE HELP*

Originally posted by: spudley
Darnello, although I agree with you I am going to have to say that there is many more pressing issues than BRP. Why is a 40 of whisky 39$ up here and 14$ down there, a pack of cigs 9.50 here 3.30 there? A liter of gas is about 80 cents down south and 1.14 here? These are some of the things I would love to have awnsered, but I will try and help you cause.
its called TAX, all the cost of those product before tax (pre-tax) are equal to what they are in the US. BRP has delibratly charges more to canadians.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sparky8370
I pay $4160 for my health insurance per year. $5200 if I put my wife on there, and that's with my employer paying 65%. Plus copays, $15 office visit and $50 emergency room visit. $1000 deductible for hospital stays per member. Many other health related expense, such as glasses for my daughter, which are not covered. How much are you guys paying for health insurance?
Our heath insurance is pay thru income tax, our goverment doesn't get a penie from from BRP selling there ATV's for more here. Its direct profit to BRP (supported by my tax dollers)

Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Daranello,

A little off topic, but you mentioned you pay 50% income tax.

A lot of us pay 28% federal, 7-1/2% social security (employer also pays 7-1/2%; 15% if self-employed), and about 5% state tax here. That's 40% of gross (48% if self employed). And no free anything here.

I think we're screwed about equally on either side of the border.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
Daranello,A little off topic, but you mentioned you pay 50% income tax. A lot of us pay 28% federal, 7-1/2% social security (employer also pays 7-1/2%; 15% if self-employed), and about 5% state tax here. That's 40% of gross (48% if self employed). And no free anything here.I think we're screwed about equally on either side of the border.
Trust me we are more!
48% federal income tax
9.9% social security
2.25% unemployment insurance
15% state tax (yes fifteen!!!!!!!!)
1.25% property tax (based on homes value)
stupid tax on beer, licure and smokes and high gas taxes, which eat up 47% of what pay at the pumps

Tax Freedom Day falling on June 26, meaning struggling families work almost six months of the year to hand over their paycheques to the taxman.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
Daranello,

A little off topic, but you mentioned you pay 50% income tax.

A lot of us pay 28% federal, 7-1/2% social security (employer also pays 7-1/2%; 15% if self-employed), and about 5% state tax here. That's 40% of gross (48% if self employed). And no free anything here.

I think we're screwed about equally on either side of the border.
i agree with you kawiyowee

if we are taxed more up here it is are own fault, we vote for the person that makes the biggest promise then whine when they raise tax's to pay for it.

i don't mind paying the tax i do, just the fact i'm not going to have to sell my house to pay medical bills makes it worth it. two weeks after i bought my 800 i found out i have a brain tumor, i think its really nice that i don't have to worry about what treatments i can afford.

back on topic now, the price of the outty is high, but if u you don't want to pay it don't buy it.
its called supply and demand, if nobdy buys them up here maybe they will lower the price.
its just good business to sell your product for what the market will bear.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

no i'm just making a point, I'm going south to the USA next week to buy an ATV, the hell with the high retail prices here in Canada.

Remember i'm NOT complaining about the tax here (it is what it is) what i'm complaining about is the MSRP in Canada vs. The MSRP in the USA, both of these have nothing to do with with our taxes.

When i buy south next week i'll have to pay the same canadian tax here when i import. Im talking about MSRP vs MSRP

Old 05-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

did you get anybody else that wants to do the same thing? what kind of deal are you getting if you did?

if you are ever down this way let me know, maybe will get togeather and play in the mud.

good luck with your purchase, i hope everything works out for. i think you will love the bike.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the way the can. dollar is trading right now, Prices should be close to the same, but we all know it does not work that way!!!If you went to the U.S. to buy a atv what would the inport duty be?????Is it a good buy???What about warranty work?????You still have to pay can. tax on it????

Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Warranty STILL good!
you still must pay PST and GST, (but you pay on the lower US price)
No Duty, only a $209 border fee! Thats it!
And Yes, We our working on bringing back a truckload form the US for my friends, let me know if you want in!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

The issue is that BRP/Can-AM is a Canadian company who is selling their ATV's to Americans for roughly 30% cheaper than what they are gouging their own countrymen for. To add insult to injury, Bombardier has received huge tax concessions and brekas from the Canadian government over the years and how do they thank the Canadian public in general....? They charge us literally thousands of dollars more to buy their quads in Canada than the U.S. (regardless of the exchange rate) Canadians who live close to the US border can literally cross the border, hide the fact that they are Canadian, and buy the quad for thousands less. But!!! If the U.S. Can-Am/BRP dealer finds out you are a Canadian, he is not allowed to sell to you or he'll lose his franchise. That is why we are kind of steamed at Can-AM/BRP. Especially since they will not reply to any inquiries or even try to justify the huge price discrepancy. All they'll say is blah blah blah support your local dealers and don't persue this trying to buy your ATV in the U.S. How would you Americans out there like it if Polaris sold their ATV's to Canadian's for 30% less than to you? Especially if you bailed them out repeatedly with tax concessions. And then saw them make plans to move production to Mexico down the road?