CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is criticism of Outlander frame...over done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is criticism of Outlander frame...over done?

I have been reading some of the complaints against this machine primarily based on the the "flimsy" frame. However, to totally "write off" this machine because of a few frame issues is "cutting off your nose despite your face." I remember buying the Suzuki Vinson (which I still own) and some guys were talking about the flimsy frame on those. I was thinking to myself "what are guys doing to these machines?". I am not accusing anyone but, there is alot of abuse and misuse that goes on out there. I wonder if this is what is going on with the bomb. If you need skids then get 'em...but don't blame mis-handling on the manufacturer.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

When something new comes out there are those that own the compitions quads that have to bash the newer better quad. More times than not it is just jelousy. If you go back you will find that evey quad is accussed of having a week frame. I dont think bombardier makes anything week. look at the DS it is overly strong and Im sure the outty is also.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, I'm tending to agree with you Pastor. When I read the thread about the frame issues recently I thought to myself... what the hell are these guys doing to their bikes. I mean come on, I'm not telling anyone how to ride their bike but I think you need to use a little common sense. I mean these bikes are tough, but they are not indestructable. I don't think you can expect to hit large bolders at speed and not expect something to break... Is there a bike out there that you could do that with? Just because the Outy has great power and better features than most other utes doesn't make it a tank. Its not a tank. I don't have a ute but I learned that real quick with my first bike... hit a rock and bent the crap out of my lower a-arm. If you know you are going to be rock hopping then for the love of Pete get some skids. I think it is totally unresonable to expect these machines to take the limits of abuse, and not have some scars to show for it... I tell you what, if I paid that much for a machine the first thing I would do is analyze what type of riding I do and what protective pieces I need.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

I know some of the guys that have "SSR frame" problems. Let me tell you, these guys would have trouble with ANY frame. They ride hard and tackle stuff a normal person would NEVER even dream of.

My 2 cents.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

12 Many.....BULLSEYE.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

I race GNCC's with my Outty 800 and have had a 400 since 2002 and never did I have a frame problem. That said you should know my friends 400 frame did crack, it was jumped, dumped, flipped and did a lot of rock crawling. It was welded then he added a skid and never had another problem. The GNCC racers put the machines thru extreme punishment and I never heard of a frame failing, remember Mike Penland and Scott Kilby are very big boy’s (200 + lbs).
If you are going to do a lot of rock crawling then skids are recommended.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, my Outlander has been over some pretty good rock fields in the river bottoms here and it's been rolled pretty badly with no frame damage. These 600 LB machines are not necessarily made for jumping, my buddy was jumping mine and I got a little pissed cause I told hime before we went riding that day NO JUMPING on the utilty quads...He was like "I can handle it dude"......THAT wasn't my point, my POINT is that between the machine and yourself your over 800 LBS flying through the air and landing on suspension not necessarily designed for that kind of riding. There is nothing flimsy about these quads. A guy buys a brand new quad, takes it out and beats the crap out of it, has some frame/suspension problems then takes it to the dealer thinking it would be covered under warranty......not very likely. From my expereiences, under "fairly normal" circumstances you should never have a problem with the frame. Under VERY ordinary circumstances I'd argue you would probably never have anything simply break or wear too premature.

I'd like to ask if these frames are flimsy, what is that compared to? Does a Grizzly come from the factory ready to take over extreme terrain without undercarriage damage??