CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

It... Is ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It... Is ALIVE!!!!!!!!

The new HRP 730 is alive and well. It's been about 4 months since the fatal afternoon in which the beast only lasted about 20 minutes. The boys from Kentucky went out of their way to make it right. There was know miscommunication this time and after a completely new motor (with the exception of Cases, covers and few bits and pieces the kitty is purring.

To be fair, I shouldn't say kitty... I should say beast. Rather MONSTER! I had felt the mighty 730 with an HPR Full race head for twenty minutes before, but the motor wasn't right and I wasn't getting the lift I should have (obviously - it became a grenade). I know that Viper just got his head, and unfortunately I hear that he's still working things out. Viper, stick with it.... sounds like a carb thing.

Everyone is always exited to feel the new power and most think that it's more than it really is. Not that I'm not exited or human, but I ride a lot of different quads after I build them. With the exception of Annihilaters last build, I've ridden everything that I've built. Can't tell you how many Stage 3's that I've built, rode Mario's 730 when he was torchering Dumont Dumbells expecting to smoke a friendly DS. So long story short, my experience of power is fairly well versed. My wall over one of my work benches has no less than 25 head gaskets from just about everything under the sun.
What happened today after start up was not expected. Power delivery is not what was expected. The new HPR 4 cams were supposed to be a little bit more mild on the bottom end as compared to my previous HPR 3 cams. That was simply NOT the case. To be fair though, I'm running the new HPR in-frame proto-type drag pipe. That could be giving me more snap off the bottom and making up for the cams supposed softer bottom end. The cams are suppopsed to pull harder on the top end but I can't get them past 8k. Let me explain.

On the same street that has seen MANY 5th gear passes, this new nightmare has yet to see 5th. Quite frankly I'm running out of street to fast. Now I know that seems rather exagerated, but by the time I'm at 7500 in 4th, the bike is traveling way too fast and I can't safely shut down if anything were to dart out. Another strange occurance is the amount of violent tendency the bike kicks out upon EACH shift. Instead of bringing the front end up, the back of the quad simply twists out from under you. If you roll on, the bike will wheelie in 1-4 no matter where you are at in the band. Remember, I'm 6'10" and 308 (have lost 19 pounds in the last 3 weeks, thank you very much) and wheelies requires a little work.
When I had my BUSA I felt myself hesitating much the same way as I'm doing now. For some reason it's become a lot more difficult to stay in the throttle. On the Busa, you could grab a hand full of throttle and you would be pinned to the seat and approaching 150 all to fast. There was a bit of violence in the acceleration and you had to concentrate and try to keep your wrist into the throttle. The HPR730 is much the same way. I have to really push myself to stay into it. On hard, fast shifts, the bike is way violent and grabs your attention in a way that I'm not used to. Don't get me wrong, I like it... but I wasn't expecting that much of a difference.
The new back cut tranny from Kentucky is extremely smooth and dead on through EVERY shift. Nuetral is like BUTTA!!!!!! Missed shifts are extremely hard.. rather non-existant. The trans almost sucks into every gear. VERY little effort is needed and it's operation breeds confidence in the bike.
Many have asked about the In-frame drag tip proto-type. I'll have to defer you to HPR on that one. Fit and finish is awsome, and of course the stock header is awsome in the fit and finish department. I did find that a little modification had to be done to the drag tip. We're not sure why at this point, but there might be some SMALL differences in stock headers from year to year. Specifically where the spring loops are welded. No big deal really.... I'm also welding an addition bracket/support for the tip to attach to the stock muffler hole on the frame (does that make any sense? - probably not). Wasn't sure how the tip would mount up or work with the tire and suspension. WORKS great. I' m sure it will be on the market soon. Most of you will see in person for DS DAYS if not sooner.

I'd like to take a little time to thank those of you who helped out with the project. I don't know who you are, but what you did was not called for and certainly not expected. HPR won't tell me who did it, but I'll find out sooner or later...

Thanks again to HPR for all of their time, work and heart.

For those of you who don't have any HPR on your quad.... BETTER GET YOU SOME!!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Great news Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man BigD, I am happy to hear that. I know its been a long road, but I hope you feel after you get that thing dialed it might have been worth the hassle. If it runs anything like Mario's, you'll have a champ on your hands, thats for sure.
I am still finding little issues with my quad. The things I missed trying to hurry and get it done. I do hope by the time the racing gets good this weekend she will be running. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Mike GREAT NEWS!! BUT DAMN YOU GUYS!!! Now my daughter hates me! cause I told her she will have to put off COLLEGE for a year so I can keep up with you guys!!! lol lol!! Man can't wait to see her run!
OH! anyone wanta buy a Turbo system??

Bud

Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Yea guys, this thing ROCKSSSSSS. Viper, I know just what you are talking about. I used to do the mid-night oil thing all the time when I we were racing boats and cars. Promised myself that I would never do it again on my own stuff. I've stuck to that pretty much and it's been almost 10 years. Lucky for me, I didn't have to do much tuning at all. It ran like a champ from the first half of a crack from the starter. Idled like a champ and ran like a raped ape with a dart in it's butt.

Take your time on the bike viper, I've heard that it's an unreal bike. The motor will be equally nice after you button everything up. Running a ugly stick or a regular exhaust? You might have to get with Randall and Eric and get the In-frame when they start producing them. VERY NICE little set up.

Bud, sell that turbo system and grab the 730 kit. You won't be upset at all!!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was running big baja's custom ct pipe. I just got a used ugly stick, we will see how she does.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Ugly stick definitely throws down the power however it was unpracticle for my needs. I dune, hill shoot and desert. I couldn't have the thing sticking out when I ride. This in-frame cures all that and is down just a scratch from the ugly stick.

MIKEY LIKES IT>

Old 05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That pipe is what I need on my short bus for Or. dunes and racing!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Mike,

great to hear your back up and running. Maybe around Nov time me and you can shoot the hill back in Dumont. Maybe Jack will grow some b@llz and climb some of those hills.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Great news Mike![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Bud, I second what Mike said.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: It... Is ALIVE!!!!!!!!