CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Nitrous Fuel Requirments

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitrous Fuel Requirments

Alright, here is something I have been working on. Please make adjustments if you have experience with different setups. These are all basic, and different things make up different fuel requirments. I have tried to error on the safe side. I hope this will help anybody that decides to play with nitrous.
Nitrous fuel requirements

Stock timing / stock compression / pump gas = 20 shot safely

Stock timing / stock compression / 100 octane = 25 shot safely

Stock timing / stock compression / 110 octane = 30 shot safely

Stock timing / 11-1 compression / pump gas = 15shot safely

Stock timing / 11-1 compression / 100 octane = 20 shot safely

Stock timing / 11-1 compression / 110 octane = 25 shot safely

Advanced timing / stock compression / pump gas = 20 shot safely

Advanced timing / stock compression / 100 octane = 25 shot safely

Advanced timing / stock compression / 110 octane = 30 shot safely

Advanced timing / 11-1 compression / pump gas = 10 shot safely

Advanced timing / 11-1 compression / 100 octane = 15 shot safely

Advanced timing / 11-1 compression / 110 octane = 25 shot safely

Advanced timing / 12-1 compression / 100 octane = 15 shot safely

Advanced timing / 12-1 compression / 110 octane = 20 shot safely

Advanced timing / 12-1 compression / 114octane = 25 shot safely

Advanced timing / 13-1 compression / 100 octane = No Nitrous

Advanced timing / 13-1 compression / 110 octane = 15 shot

Advanced timing / 13-1 compression / 114 octane = 20 shot

Stock timing / 12-1 compression / pump gas = No Nitrous

Stock timing / 12-1 compression / 100 octane = 10 shot

Stock timing / 12-1 compression / 110 octane = 20 shot

For 4000’ altitude, add 5 hp shot to any line, keeping everything else constant.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about nitrous along time ago then got out of it....then now i was REALLY going to get that new boss noss setup untill i seen some posts of guys engine pretty much destroying themselves due to nitrous... How dependable can a stock engine be running a 20 shot of nitrous for say a bottle every 2 weeks.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I ran a 20 shot on pump fuel at 4000' for over a year on my stock piston, and the piston is still in perfect shape. I ran about 4 bottles a day through it on busy weekends. So I think it is completely reliable. Boss Noss is new for atvs. The few bikes that have it now are running strong. The two that went down a week ago were among many other nitrous bikes running different systems. So its not completely fool proof.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Just to add to Jeds comments - Most of the quads that went down, didnt even have nitrous. Again, the logic here is undeniable. Depending on the system, there is no doubt that if you run lean on motor, you'll have problems on nitrous - The carb(s) are still in use! - with or without nitrous. To what degree you have problems, simply depends on the system.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

For you guys running on the edge, because that’s where the power is, the best way to make sure you are not too lean is to measure CO with a 5 gas analyzer or A/F with an 02 sensor. 5 gas analyzers are real good at measuring CO, which is a tad bit better from a technical standpoint than measuring A/F with an 02 sensor. Portable analyzers are about $5,000! The A/F gauges out there now are pretty darn reliable, give pretty accurate results. Yes, you'll have to replace the sensor at least once a season if you run leaded fuel - but hey, those are only $75 and the whole kit is $399 - Much cheaper than a new motor.

By the way, On Dunes Performance sells those here.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Good comments Marky, I think they were right on. If you are lean and choose to run Nitrous, then you are choosing to break. The single most important factor (IMO) is to make your normal operation and fuel ratios correct. Not too rich and not too lean. This will lead to your success with the juice. Marky, have you used the O2 sensor kit on ODP? Just wondering how hard it is to get a reading while in the middle of a run? Also, is the set up some that is being used all the time or are most taking the sensor out and plugging the bung?

Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scatterbrain has the unit and had good things to say about it last week to me

Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have one and it is awsome! All you gotta do is look down at the gauge! It gives 2 read outs one on a led dial and the other a digital read out. Tuning has never been easier especially on Nitrous Ive dialed mine in at 12.5 to 12.7 (thanks 222) The lectron likes to be rich at idle so it sits right around 10.9 to 11 at idle. Real easy to tune the NOS 4th gear WOT push the button and look at the gauge and adjust accordingly. Its easy to see even on a full nitrous pass. Ive velcroed mine to the bar clamp. I did have a problem with the xd-1 unit (gauge) for some reason it went blank and wouldnt light up. I called Innovate they had me send it in and they fixed it and overnighted it back to me total down time was 4 days. really a good company. I havnt tried the data logging feature on it yet. One down side to it is that it is not weather proof. It takes awhile for it to go through all its start up and calibration ie heating up the sensor before you can fire it up. I use mine for tuning and on the hill. If im just going to dune I take the gauge off and remove the O2 sensor and plug the bung hole. My opinion is that its money well spent. If anyone needs more info PM me for my #

Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

LMAO, Scatter said to PLUG THE BUNGHOLE!!! LOL

Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Nitrous Fuel Requirments