CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Baja 500.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baja 500.........

Baja 500: A stripped down Can-Am Outlander 800 finished last, behind a field of Honda 450R's. http://race.off-road.com/race/articl....jsp?id=330971

If anybody needs proof that THERE IS A REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT, this is it! It's all about the weight/power ratio, not just raw horsepower! (The little Honda makes 120 horsepower per liter, by the way!)

Seems to me that this stripped down Outlander, is pretty close to what the Renegade is going to end up being (????).

Old 06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what the white stuff is in chicken chit. =]

Old 06-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Red Rider

And, am I rubbing your nose in it????

From the pictures, I could see front axles, so they didn't strip it down so far that it was 2wd only.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971

So that was your point?

I didn't get the post in the first place, They get lucky or finally after so many years they finally got it right?

I'm glad they did well at the Baja, it's a kick a§§ race, and to win is got to be great. More credit to the drivers and the teams cause they didn't care what they where riding as long as they got to race.

But, I dunno.

In the real world "the ones I see, and I see a bunch of them.
They still "most of the time" get there a§§'s handed to them

Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anybody needs proof that THERE IS A REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT, this is it! It's all about the weight/power ratio, not just raw horsepower! (The little Honda makes 120 horsepower per liter, by the way!)
>>>>>>>>>

Didn't the Rincon win this race it's first year out? Honda teams are extremely well prepared for these races, they usually finish first in the dirbike class as well.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Baja 500: A stripped down Can-Am Outlander 800 finished last, behind a field of Honda 450R's>>>>>

How does finishing 5th out of 17 starters and 10 finishers constitute last place? 8 of the top 10 were Honda, just like in the dirtbike class.

Honda is very well organized in these events and I bet if Yamaha were as organized they would be in the top ten but I didn't see one YFZ450. There wasn't much of a gap between 3-5th places. A big determining factor is probably pit stops, I have no doubt that 800 had to stop more frequently for fuel, if you factor in the time lost for that I bet they were all fairly even.

I'm not getting your point? Personally I think it's a positive statement for both companies they are able to build machines that can consistently perform, win and/or FINISH these types of races.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Red Rider

The point is relevent since the first engine was ever designed, and that is why can't a huge 800 beat a little 450????

The "there is no replacement for displacement" philosophy seems to prevade utility design at the moment, and Can-Am goes to the head of the class with its 800. When you have the biggest engine out there, you are going to have to take some flak when you can't even beat a machine that has half your displacement, and that even when your machine is stripped down and has the possible advantage of being 4 wd.

But also, food for thought for those who are awaiting the much anticipated "sport/ute" Renegade, which is pretty much a stripped down Outlander, but still weighs in at a portly 600 pounds, the same weight as a Japanese big bore ute.

It's turely a credit to any machine to just finish these desert enduracne races, so nothing to take away from Can-Am for their finish!

The results I saw in several places, only listed 5 quad finishers, but they were probably not "official" results. It did seem strange to me, because that would mean a whole lot of DNF's, wouldn't it! You got something different, post it..........

Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!

Feel Better?, or should I get you a bigger soap box to stand on?

Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

The results I saw in several places, only listed 5 quad finishers, but they were probably not "official" results. It did seem strange to me, because that would mean a whole lot of DNF's, wouldn't it! You got something different, post it..........
>>>>>>>

They were listed on the link you yourself posted.

The Outlander wasn't designed to race against the likes of the 450r's or YFZ450's......Lets do an all around event including mudding, sled pulls, rock crawls etc. then see what the final results are. The 450's wouldn't make it past the mud bogs let alone the sled pulls. The fact of the matter is there are actually people who do more then desert riding, there are people who ride two up, pull trailers and ride through mud and plow snow, stuff you simply can't do with the 450's. I think the fact that BRP has kept the Outlander/Renegade to 600 lbs is an acomplishment considering Polaris tip the scales over 700lbs.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Red Rider

This is what's on the off-road.com site. They are even calling the results "official" now. (Was not able to get onto the SCORE site.):

<P class=MsoNormal style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><B>Pro ATVs</B><?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]></O[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]>
<DIV>
<P class=MsoNormal>1. Danny Prather, Ramona, Calif./Mike Cafro, Carlsbad, Calif., Honda TRX450R, 10 hours, 23 minutes, 45 seconds (40.81mph) (CLASS 25)
2. Wayne Matlock, <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:CITY w:st="on">El Cajon</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Calif.</ST1:STATE>/<ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on">Chad</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> Prull, <ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Laveen</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Ariz.</ST1:STATE></ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE>, Honda TRX450R, 10:25:25 (40.70mph) (CLASS 25)
3. Francisco Ruano/Marcos Moreno/Sergio Fuentes, <ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Tijuana</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on">Mexico</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION></ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE>, Honda TRX 450R, 10:49:33 (39.19mph) (CLASS 25)
4. Jeff Hancock, <ST1:CITY w:st="on">Salome</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Ariz.</ST1:STATE>/Joshua Edwards/Kirk Schreier, <ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE w:st="on">Phoenix</ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE></ST1:CITY>, Honda TRX450R, 11:03:13 (38.38mph) (CLASS 25)
5. Josh Frederick, <ST1:CITY w:st="on">Moapa</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Nev.</ST1:STATE>/Anthony Baker, <ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">El Cajon</ST1:CITY>, <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Calif.</ST1:STATE></ST1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LACE>, Bombardier Outlander, 11:14:45 (37.73mph) (CLASS 25)<O[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]></O[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]></DIV>

Quick Reply: Baja 500.........