CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron 46 hv power jet ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron 46 hv power jet ?

Sorry to give you the wrong idea. The single powerjet 46mm was perfect to me............until I found the added virtues of the dual pj 48mm. It is hard to go back.

I am talking about tuning on the edge for that last little bit.............that with any carb you can only have if you tune for your conditions of that day. The hard thing about the Lectron is they run good and mask rich or lean symptoms very well if they are off. That day we rode with Keith at Winchester. I was running way rich that day because of the problems I had had the week before. My bike ran great, no popping on decel, no noticable bog I just didn't have all my power. I didn't think anything of it since i was running right close to Keith when we were both on motor. It was his seat of the pants that determined I was rich.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

The nice thing about the 48 is that its more flexible. By going that route it will handle stock bore mods and big bore appilcations. Correct me if Im wrong but I dont think the 46 would enough for a big bore. So stepping up to the 48 is alot better choice if your considering a big bore in the future. My history with the carb has been a bit tedious and I have bad mouthed and praised it. If you take the time to learn about it and listen carefully to the folks who know it inside and out you wont have the problems I did. Its not your average carb and it take a bit more effort to get it right but when you do get it theres nothing better. IMHO

Old 06-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Dragon i realize that you were not putting the 46 hv down i just wanted to make sure that you realized that i am stiil very pleased with it .The twist throttle is something that you get used to very fast especially if you have any experience with motorcycles.I like the twist because it allows you to keep a good grip on the bars when flying up the whoops and that can be a problem with a thumb throttle.Trying to be (perfectly) jetted for the Oregon coast is probably impossible since we can have drastic temperature changes even in the summer so where i am set for jetting now may be as close as i can get.Proper jetting in all weather settings is a real chore with any carb and although i am not familiar enough with the Lectron to fully understand all of its capabilities it is without a doubt still the most forgiving carb that i have ever used with different pipes and weather conditions.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Are you comparing to other quads carbs you have had, or have you ran others on your DS? Just curious. I was not as worried about the weather aspect, as I to am very aware that changes every 5 minutes there....But more so with it running good on the hill, in the flats, and on the trails. It was starting to sound like if you were set for one you were off on the other, but know it sounds like Nut was really saying you either get the 1-2 extra ponies on one or the other, but still very strong through out the band?

Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
Are you comparing to other quads carbs you have had, or have you ran others on your DS? Just curious. I was not as worried about the weather aspect, as I to am very aware that changes every 5 minutes there....But more so with it running good on the hill, in the flats, and on the trails. It was starting to sound like if you were set for one you were off on the other, but know it sounds like Nut was really saying you either get the 1-2 extra ponies on one or the other, but still very strong through out the band?
That is closer to what I meant to say. Maybe this is a good way to look at it. With any carb in Oregon, you can avoid a fair amount of tuning by splitting the difference and running a touch rich in the rich season so you are not as lean in the lean season. You won't be optimally tuned for either season but you won't be giving up much.

The same goes for changing riding tasks IMHO. I think it is natural to change your jetting for different things if you want 100%. Like slow long tree chutes. If I were to do those all the time, I would run richer so the motor would run cooler. I would give up some crispness.........but don't really need it.

If I was only going to dragrace, I would lean the lower circuits to the point of no bog at launch, optimal crisp,right-now power. Under those settings my fan might come on all the time if i were slow trailing. I had to think about these things with the stock carb and my lectrons.

Bottom line, to keep from driving yourself Nuts, you will have to accept some compromises unless you only ride in one type of weather and do only one type of riding.

The answer? Someone needs to develop a really good fuel injection that rivals or outperforms dual carbs for drag racing, yet compensates for slow trail riding with the kids. That would do the trick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Dragon i have only ran the stock carb and the Lectron on my DS .I am basing my opinion on all the various three wheelers,dirt bikes and quads that i have ran in the sand the last thirty years.I should add that i have no flat spots or hesitations anywhere in the power delivery but if it can be better with just a jetting change then it may be worth experimenting.I have found that paying attention to all the little things including fine tuning a carb can really add up to more performance.The truth is that i always seem to feel the need to tweak wether it is needed or not in the hopes of making an improvement which does not always happen.