CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HELP....sick ds

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP....sick ds

so my ds was spitting and sputtering and my first thought was junk in the carb or tank, after two cleanings nothing changed. i took it over a buddies that does small engine repair and he said it sounded as if the rev limiter was kicking in almost instantly which caused all the sputtering. He said a new C.D.I. box would solve the issue. So i called for a price and im looking at 500 bucks which sucks big time....is there any way to bypass the rev limiter or does anyone know anyone selling a cdi box for cheap....money is tight and i just wanna go riding.......help

Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default HELP....sick ds

loose coil wires at coils?

if voltage regulator is bad it could cause this. try turning on headlights to see if problem goes away.

gas tank vent pinched?

carb diaphram torn?

Old 06-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default HELP....sick ds

ill try the headlights ans see what happens...as far as the diaphram shes all set...tank vent would be the tiny hose coming out of the top of the tank????

another question is about a random hose i found....when i took the tank off i found it......there are two air box hoses and two for the carb but whats the hose that run from the left side bottom of the motor to where the above mentioned hoses go? whats its purpose and where does it go, plug into the airbox hose???

Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELP....sick ds

Sounds like the case vent... it plugs into one of the intake tubes up under the gas tank.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELP....sick ds

Originally posted by: FatHolly
Sounds like the case vent... it plugs into one of the intake tubes up under the gas tank.
That was my thought also......As for a CDI look at an aftermarket one, they are cheaper then that. A Big Gun should be ok....Or RWR CDI are the 2 lowest cost good ones...

Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default HELP....sick ds

yea im thinking of going that direction.....500 was for a factory replacement cdi......thanks for the help guys....

Old 06-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELP....sick ds

yea its a crank case vent hose becuase i just rebuilt my ds from the ground up. Yea isn't that rediculous how much the cdi's are. All of the ones that I know of are big gun,ron wood, and vortex so you may wnt to take a look into them.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default HELP....sick ds

yea its crazy.....talk about bending you over and takin it up the butt.....but i hopefully will have one in about a week if everything goes well.......got to get her going again so i can leave my buddies kfx700 in the dust......

now another question, possibly cdi related......push the start button and get nothing, push a few more times and all of a sudden she starts

Old 06-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP....sick ds

Check the spark plug boots. may be bad? Causing missifiring?

Old 06-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELP....sick ds

what i would suggest is checking the wires first that go from the start button and make sure all of the other wires are connected tightely like the battery wires and from the coils to the spark plugs. When I took my ds apart andf put it back together its weird because the cdi worked before I took it apart and didn't work when I put it back together so if all of the wires look fine and are connected good it may be due to the cdi.