CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can someone help me understand the vortex cdi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can someone help me understand the vortex cdi?

8900. Jeremey would hit his every now and then with the stage two. He's always hitting it with his stage three.

If you think you will ever add anything that will warrant the Vortex, buy it. If you think you might only go up to like a stage two, but one thats cheaper.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after cdi....ported intake and maybe a carb....but thats it...only bolt ons..

Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Well, let me refrase the question. If you can afford to buy it, then do so. If you could use that money elsewhere, I would buy a lesser one. And thats my honest answer. I cant tell you not to buy it, cuz when I bought my carb, I bought it as well. I didnt know for sure if I would ever add anything else, and look at me now. Sure glad I bought it when I did.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Jed, If money is not an issue buy it. It will give you everything you will need later as the sickness sets in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keith - Check your pm's

Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

ok let me say it this way...

if i were to only do a few mods just for the fun of it...nothing done to engine cause i only ride trails and it is plenty already, but for the few times a yr that we end up racing i would like a shot to win...

i have an endcap and filter now, getting a ported intake and a cdi next...and lastly and only if someone can convince me to a carb...the carb thing is just like the cdi thing...confusing 44 thsi and46,48 blah blah...entire different post...

just want more snap and to keep the power to wheels a little longer sometimes, rather than shift...

i am starting to think the vortex which i love is overkill..the other huge issue with this is i have no one to program it and how do i know what the hell to program..everyone has these things done different!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

For your setup reprogramming isnt necessary. Most of the time reprogramming is generally drag racers. The unit comes with 10 pre-set curves and different rev limits on each. Like jed said he is having his programmed for higher rev limit and stock curve to run NOS a bit safer. They have to be sent off to be programmed theres no user dials and switches. As with most guys that have it you will probably only use map 1. If all your looking for is more rev then look into the boxes Viper mentioned. I still think that a good carb and ported intake is your best bang for your buck. Higher Rpm doesnt mean your going faster. Knowing where the top of your torqe curve is and keeping it there is what makes you faster. with the motor being all stock it will only pull up to a certain rpm after that it starts losing power, Time to shift! for more snap try dropping a tooth on the front sprocket but now you will hit your limiter even quicker which means shifting more often but you will pull higher gears thus making you faster in the end. The choices are endless it seems my .02 is still carb, ported intake, better pipe, cams, CDI, piston you get the idea.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
For your setup reprogramming isnt necessary. Most of the time reprogramming is generally drag racers. The unit comes with 10 pre-set curves and different rev limits on each. Like jed said he is having his programmed for higher rev limit and stock curve to run NOS a bit safer. They have to be sent off to be programmed theres no user dials and switches. As with most guys that have it you will probably only use map 1. If all your looking for is more rev then look into the boxes Viper mentioned. I still think that a good carb and ported intake is your best bang for your buck. Higher Rpm doesnt mean your going faster. Knowing where the top of your torqe curve is and keeping it there is what makes you faster. with the motor being all stock it will only pull up to a certain rpm after that it starts losing power, Time to shift! for more snap try dropping a tooth on the front sprocket but now you will hit your limiter even quicker which means shifting more often but you will pull higher gears thus making you faster in the end. The choices are endless it seems my .02 is still carb, ported intake, better pipe, cams, CDI, piston you get the idea.
Yep!! But if your going to buy one, find a cheaper one. It'll do the job just fine. There is no power difference between them.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

For what you are looking for, I would go with the big gun CDI. Lowest cost, and not any major issues that I have heard. Here is my thought though. If you are 100% sure you will not be doing any major builds, and you are sure you will never run Nos then the Big Gun is for you. If you think there is a chance you may want to do those things later, then I would sink the money now into gearing and carb. Then save for a better CDI. I am running the Vortex, and only use the first map. It really is as simple as flipping a button on the handle bar.