CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Florence, 4th of July Roll Call!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florence, 4th of July Roll Call!!!!!

I feel for you man. I hope it works out for ya

Old 06-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

The thing that was surprising to me was how fast it totally went out. I fueled up in Tremonton Utah with no huge tranny issues - a few little bumps when taking off - but that was it. Then stopped by Rexburg and the darn thing started slipping - it took about 10 minutes to climb the on-ramp. By the time I got back home, it was totally shot. I guess that Nitrous Harley was just too much for the Cummins diesel to tow! LOL

Its a company truck, still under warranty - but a bit dissapointing for sure. I really wanted to get Jed's motor tuned in with the sniffer.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I had a good trip to the Oregon Coast. We just got in a little while ago. The DS wouldn't run at St. A's last week due to a spark problem. We thought we fixed it but half way into tuning my carb here at Florence spark went away again. I struggled chasing intermittant spark failure it gave up altogether.

I finally got a wild hair at about 3:00 Sunday morning, jumped in my truck and drove all the way to Salem, pulled the whole ignition wiring, coils, cdi, everything off the Klug racing bike. I was back on the road by 6:00 am and was installing the ignition system by 8:30 am. We finally worked the bugs out of the conversion back from the MSD out and started dialing in the carb again by noon. The MSD took a dump on me so I was running a Ron Wood box this weekend.

We ran the DS Sunday afternoon at the hill and then Monday morning. I met up with Dragon DJ11 and dunittilludie on Monday morning. Dragon's bike is running strong. I made a few passes against a piped YFZ450 on it and pulled neck and neck with them. I think the DS pulled a little harder though. Any time a DS beats a piped 450 on a steep hill, it is a strong running DS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

dunit's bike is a monster for a stock bore. It runs really hard. Once Dragon gets cams, carb and tires like dunit's got, he will be just about as fast.

I have my full race head on and it is amazing. I finally ended up with 17/43 gears, 25" (81" roll out) 12 paddle extremes on the hill. It is hard to believe it pulls the best with that setup but it does. I am wrapped out at 9000 rpm in 3rd at about the 3/4 mark up the hill before I have to shut her down and lock up the back tires to keep from launching off the razorback at the top of the hill. With the 16/43 gears I was having to hit the bottom end of 4th before I shut her down. I am bogging a touch out of the hole when I get a really good hook up but that is costing me much less than the extra shift. If I had had one, I would have tried a 44 rear sprocket.

On the flats the +8 was just right. I would still walk the front a bit in 2nd but it was just enough to ensure good hookup on the hardpack.

Regarding fuel..........I was able to dial in my fuel needs. For recreational racing I will be mixing 110 with 118 50/50. On Noss I want to run straight 118. On a serious race day I got more power out of C14 on all motor. I was able to open up my super jet another 1/4 turn with that good fuel and I could feel the difference.

With a little luck my dual carbs will arrive soon and I hope to start installing my Noss system in a week or two. I will keep you posted.

Ron

Old 07-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good write-up Ron. Im impressed. LOL!

So, you were the fastest on the hill or what?

Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I never ran a 4-stroke that could get within 4 lengths of me and I have video footage of all the runs to prove that, however I was not the fastest on the hill. I traded wins with a cheetah cub banshee, his stroke is unknown and I got blown away by a couple of other banshees whose builds were also unknown. I have video to prove that to [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I told my wife to delete the races I didn't win but she said that isn't fair to the guys that beat me so i am stuck reviewing the good with the bad, lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

So its safe to say that you were certainly the fastest 4-stroke at the hill?

Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Ron i will admit that my stock bore is not the runner that your 730 is but i would say that i was much closer than 4 lengths for the first half of the hill dont you think?I still have a ways to go with front tires ,chain and sprockets and compression and or nitrous so i will get closer.It is a challenge to try to make a stock bore run with the big boys but i think it is possible with enough time and tweaking but time will tell.I had a chance to run a Ron Woods stage 2 DS Tuesday at the old comp hill that was fast but i was able to beat him.The Ron Woods DS supposedly used to be owned by the guy that owns Sand Tires Unlimited and it was built for him at least according to the current owner.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
So its safe to say that you were certainly the fastest 4-stroke at the hill?
There were two 4-strokes that were at Florence that were never at the hill when I was. One is kind of a legend in our area that rides a very fast Raptor. The other one was Scatterbrain. I am doubtful that my ride would have beaten the Raptor consistently on the hill. I pulled him on the flats Sunday night but not by much. Weight being a factor on the hill would give him the advantage.

I was hoping to meet up with Keith (scatterbrain)...........however I don't think my bike can hope to keep up with his until I have NOS.

Mike - Yes you were the fastest guy I ran all weekend. I was talking about at the top of the hill. You and I were pretty close on the first half of the hill.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Ron thats the way i saw it but i was very busy just trying to hang on through all whoops.That hill can really beat you up at speed and i was getting tossed around pretty good.I was forced to run over the top of the crest once this weekend and that was scary.I wil be out again next weekend to try the 520 chain out.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Ron thats the way i saw it but i was very busy just trying to hang on through all whoops.That hill can really beat you up at speed and i was getting tossed around pretty good.I was forced to run over the top of the crest once this weekend and that was scary.I wil be out again next weekend to try the 520 chain out.
Yeah I think you saw it right. I was watching the video footage and everyone I raced all weekend I seemed to open up the gap in the last half of the hill. What gear are you pulling on the longer hill where we were running? I may not have been accelerating away from you. It is more likely that I am carrying more speed due to my gearing..........but I have the torque to run that gearing. If I am doing 45 by half hill and you were doing 35, it is possible for you to be accelerating quicker than me yet I am still pulling away. That is why it is hard to know what you are really seeing when you watch video footage of races. That is also why it is subjective to look at peak hp. Lets say I give up some acceleration with my taller gears but can carry more speed. The stock bore can compensate by running lower gears and can accelerate with the big bore in the lower gears. The big bore will start pulling away in the upper gears due to more torque that allows you to run taller gears and more speed afforded by those taller gears.

Just some musings from a big bore addict[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Btw, those whoops were bad but not as bad as South Jetty[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Florence, 4th of July Roll Call!!!!!