CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Nitrous selenoid dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous selenoid dead?

It started with it just barely clicking and the shot was real weak also it would take a bit to shut off if and when it would spray. Switch is good and I have good power at the relay. Now I cant even get it to click. Is it possible tear it apart and fix it (sand in it maybe) or do I need a new one? Am I missing something? Marky, Jed? Somebody?

Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Keith,

All solinoids can indeed be taken apart - but if it was on my bike, I'd simply order another one from BD. If a solinoid is leaking, in other words, its letting a little nitrous flow when the button is off, then there is something very small in there thats keeping the solinoid valve from closing altogether. BD, and all the other nitrous guys, do add filters to keep the smallest debris out, but sometimes it still gets in there.

On your problem, the solinoid isnt even opening. Thats usually unreparable. There are a lot of reasons why a solinoid would stuck shut - but its usually a quality issue of the materials that the solinoid is made of - Then they simply wear out. I replaced mine, and fernando's from our BD system. Thats about a 15% failure rate from the ones that I've sold with ODP.

I have an old BD solinoid here if you want it. I've taken it apart and learned everything I can of it - you are welcome to have it if you want. I can test it before I send it to make sure it works.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Keith,

I just tested my old BD solinoid - it works fine. Let me know if you want it.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Marky, thats what I thought. Sand 45 and I worked on it a little bit ( tapping er huh beating[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] on it) He said he had the same problem. I could use it if you dont need it any more. I'll Pm you for the details. Thanks Mark

Old 06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith, when you do need to buy another one. Shop like, jegs, jc whitney or the like, and just get a nos solenoid. There alot cheaper. I had mine get crap in it and not let it seal properly, but it still working to this day. Glad Marky got you hooked up.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

In the mail.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Marky, You the man!

Im gonna tear this one apart and see whats up with it. If anything else at least I will have a better understanding of how it works. Thanks all.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Keith it was good to meet you and get a little riding in.We would have been into a couple more rides but we rode all day Saturday and we were pretty burned out by Sunday mid day.I will be doing the 520 chain conversion soon and even 1 quad length gain would be great from it.Too bad your nitrous was messed up because i would have liked to see just how much you gained with it on.We will be going again this weekend and if you will be at Florence doing some hill drags with your nitrous i would like to see the results.Your DS really jumps off the line and just keeps pulling,very impressive.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Im going to be there definitley sun and mon. Im still thinkin about at least running in the test in tune on sat just to get some time slips and see how she does. After you guys left I did a little more tuning and messed with the tire pressure. It was getting better and better. Launches were nice and straight and coming out of the hole pretty hard. Would have really liked to have got some nitrous runs in. I will dig for that sprocket and see what it is tomorrow I forgot when I was at the shop earlier. be sure to bring your rappy I want to see it run!