CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TM45 needle jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM45 needle jet

I made a little oopsie with my needle jet, and well lets just say it's no more...
What I'm wondering is where could a guy find another one? Or does anyone know any tricks to make somethin work? The bike is set up for alky, and I went to drill the needle jet out to 1/8", but somehow managed to use a 9/64 bit instead. I have tried kinda like sleeving it, but nothing works. The DS just turns over and occasionally has very violent and extremely loud backfiring out the exhaust.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default TM45 needle jet

THEBOM has them, as well as RWR

I think they cost around $12

I may have an extra one, the one that comes in the RWR alky kit that is supposed to be the correct size without drilling, not sure, I will look tonight after I get home from work, let you know tomorrow.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default TM45 needle jet

ouch

Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default TM45 needle jet

nope I don't have a spare, sorry took so long to reply...

Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default TM45 needle jet

I did end up getting it to fire up on gas....Of course I was jetted accordingly.... I fabricated some contraption with the end of a pen, i tuned it in nice on gas, then jetted it for alky. Hit the button, and it fired right up. I fine tuned it so it reved nicely, idled great and started no problem. So I put it all back together, cleaned up, jumped on it, and headed offf out of the yard. Once I got on the road, I opened it up, and blahhhh, just died. Wouldn't start after that.
I played with it a bit further, and every now and then while cranking and bliping the throttle a bit, it would backfire out of the carb hard enough to blow the carb right off the intake. It would eventually after quite a bit of coughing and crap fire up, but barely.... If I babied it, I could get it to rev a bit, but not much then it would just give out...

The main thing I need to know, is how goes alky measure on an air fuel guage?? Stoich for gas is 14.7, and I believe for alky it's either 6.somethin or 9 to 1 one is methanol, the other is ethanol. I'm pretty sure ethanol is 9 to 1, and methanol is 6 point somethin to 1.... Either way, on a multi LED guage, will it work to tune alky? I should just want it to read extremely rich right? So if it says it's in the ideal range, thats 14.7ish, meaning for alky extremely lean? Or I could be out to lunch... hopefully someone can clarify for sure.
Till then, Thanks and happy ridin

Old 07-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default TM45 needle jet

not sure what the correct a/f ratio is with methanol, I've always thought it to be around 7:1??

But I have been told that you cannot use an a/f ratio monitor to tune methanol, but you can use an egt gauge to measure exhaust gas temps. I have the egt gauge temps written down, I can find it and look it up at home (at work now as usual) if it would be of any use to you...

either way, you need to get the correct needle jet installed and get rid of your rig job, call THEBOM and order one and he can also give you some fine tuning tips over the phone.