CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Head Porting???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Porting???

Originally posted by: shmee
Originally posted by: choosetolose04
I think your not gonna see anymore than a couple ponies difference in porting alone. However, I do think cams, valve size and porting works hand and hand. I also think you might just see a difference in the whole power curve. Might see a little more or less power in overrev. It would be very interesting to know. But is it worth the extra $$$? Now thats the question. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
you are so right!

i had a stage 3 without the porting. big valves, cams ect. rode it for a week or two and then ported the head. HOLLY COW! what a diff!!

then i ported a head for a guy with just a pipe and you could hardly tell the diff.
This statement is consistent with my experience as well. Porting gets done too early in most builds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Someone said something about hp difference between port jobs. It isn't as much about the 2 or 3 hp as it is about the cylinder pressure that can be created by porting and cam combination and the other thing is vacuum signature coming from the downstroke which I think is aided greatly by the larger valves.

Under equal load conditions the motor that revs to its power peak the quickest will win the race and that isn't always the motor with the most hp. You know how a high compression piston makes a DS spin up quicker? Think what higher cylinder pressure with porting and cam combination will do on top of that higher static compression piston.

Lets say you pull 500 cc's of air/fuel into a 653cc motor with a 13:1 piston. Lets say you by doing better porting, valve size and cam combination you pull 600 cc's into that same motor, what happened to your cylinder pressure?

Old 07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

So just how do you know there isnt the same gains with other head porters who are listed above?

Old 07-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

So just how do you know there isnt the same gains with other head porters who are listed above?
The burden of proof is on them to show everyone on race day IMHO.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

Originally posted by: DSNUT
The burden of proof is on them to show everyone on race day IMHO.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] you passed the test, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default Head Porting???

What are the classes for dunefest? If it is single cyl open maybe I will come down on the juice and see how we stack up, Its very short notice for me but I might be able to get my bike down there to race. Im still waiting for parts.

As far as head porting, Ive seen my bike take down big bores with the juice with this same head on that ive had for years. Its been ported by a few different mechs. Believe me its making power.

Ron, There ARE other builders out there that can extract big power from these heads.

Ron, What motor are you running? 730 still?

Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
What are the classes for dunefest? If it is single cyl open maybe I will come down on the juice and see how we stack up, Its very short notice for me but I might be able to get my bike down there to race. Im still waiting for parts.

As far as head porting, Ive seen my bike take down big bores with the juice with this same head on that ive had for years. Its been ported by a few different mechs. Believe me its making power.

Ron, There ARE other builders out there that can extract big power from these heads.

Not much in the way of classes. I think it is separated out by motor configuration. You can do grudge matches but the trophies are based on bracket racing. It is no Planet Sand by any stretch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but a fun time nonetheless[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I wouldn't drive more than 200 miles to go to this for the racing. I might drive more than that to meet people though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am still running my little 105.5 bore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

Not much in the way of classes. I think it is separated out by motor configuration. You can do grudge matches but the trophies are based on bracket racing. It is no Planet Sand by any stretch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but a fun time nonetheless[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I wouldn't drive more than 200 miles to go to this for the racing. I might drive more than that to meet people though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am still running my little 105.5 bore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I thought this was like the premier race to attend out west?

And as far as porting is concerned....I agree, there are poor boy ported heads out there laying the smack down on Donald Trumps head right now, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default Head Porting???

Does that still mean your only a 730cc??

Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

IMHO 4sw's is the premier race out west.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Head Porting???

Does that still mean your only a 730cc??
Actually, I never was 730cc's. I am closer to 732cc's than 730cc's and I have a thick head gasket. That is about all I can tell you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Head Porting???