CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Acetone in your fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acetone in your fuel?

Anyone heard of adding very small amounts of acetone to your fuel? Supposed to improve fuel mileage and performance if mixed in the correct ratio. I'm not suggesting anyone use it I'm just curious if anyone has heard of using it.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Yes it is aginst the rules for every race sanctioning body out there and it is not safe for you either it is bad. It is an oxygenator..With bad side effects

Old 07-22-2006, 03:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZSAND
Yes it is aginst the rules for every race sanctioning body out there and it is not safe for you either it is bad. It is an oxygenator..With bad side effects
I have never heard of this. Acetone is a solvent like paint thinner, isn't it? What kind of side effects and safety assues are we talking about?

Old 07-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Adding acetone will not inprove your mileage.
Acetone is not an oxygenator fuel.

In the old days I used to mix Toluene to bring the octane up. 10 to 15% goes a long ways to bring it up big time.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That TV show Myth Busters actually did a show on gas "additives" a while back, they did mothballs, acetone, high test booze, etc. while the stuff did burn, they got widely varying results, especially on the booze, but hey, drink it ,don't burn it!! While acetone burns very well, it is rather dangerous as a fuel, it vaporizes at very low temp ( more explosive) and attacks most rubber and plastics very quickly. I can't remember if it actually raises the "race fuel " factor of gas, but I think I would stay away from it as an addative, I work with it a lot at my job, it is better for cleaning than burning !!!

Old 07-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

out here in california they use acetone to dry out there crank .

Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used it for years in small engine repair and service. Not for fuel but for drying out fuel tanks, carbs and all types of engine and transmission parts after gunking out and cleaning ... After using cleaning chemicals i would rinse the parts with water, then i'd use the Acetone to dry out the water; but i wouldn't ever use it for a fuel additive !!! As 95wolv said myth busters tested serveral additives, mothballs acetone etc, now the only thing i've ever seen mothballs used for was as an Anti - Gasoline theift device when i worked at a full service gas station in the late 60's, a man who ran a trailor park put mothballs in his gas tank too keep people from stealing the gas from his pick-up truck !!! It sure works for that , i found that out the hard way the first time he came in for a fillup without the locking gas cap he always had on his truck..... when i opened the gas cap the stink almost knocked me out, i told him he had a dead skunk in his tank !!!! He just laughed out loud and told me he had gotten sick of having his gas ripped off, and the locking gas cap didn't stop it, so he put the mothballs in the tank........Needless to say but his gas was never ripped off again !!!!!!!!! Man that was the stinkiest stuff i've ever smelt in my life.................!!!!!!!!!!! He drove that old truck for over 20yrs without it doing any damage to the engine, but from the smell i was surprized it didn't blow up the engine...

Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Why is porpoxide so dangerous i realy don't know but i would ask doctorturbo he appears to be some kind of chemist alls i know is in our msds sheets we must keep...on our paint booth it is listed as a oxeygenator maybe there wrong but who knows??? ask the DOC.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the most credible website that I could find regarding oxygenators in fuel including information on Acetone ...

http://www.foxvalleykart.com/fuel4.html

Step right up, get your oxygenators here, buy two get one for free! Step right up, I have a sale going on right now, its the best in the world, I know cuz I now work there and I am a product *****. I dont care where I work or what I do, I simply have the best but I have no evidence to support it - Oops, why did I go and post that link anyways - Now I'll never sell it! Join me for OXYdays, we'll have a grand old time sipping it under the guise of it being a social event. Step right up - It also cures warts, bad maners and KLOWN fever!

Damn that was fun!

Marky

Old 07-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

That's a good link ODP.
AZSAND the reason prop is so bad for you it will easily go through your skin like the link said. Not good. I never messed with that stuff and never will. Most of that stuff is really expensive and hard to get a hold of and is bad news. It's just way easier to bring up engine preformance with N2O. N2O is harmless and is kind of a "gas." ha ha ha ha..........

Anyway, way back when in the horse and buggy days of racing my friend was using mothballs to bring up his octane. He learned it from some old racer. Did it work? Yep. The only problem is you need the "naphthalene" type of mothballs. We don't seem to have them out in Callie anymore. I looked for them years ago without sucess. Probable against EPA or CIA or FBI or something.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Mothballs in fuel

With all of the race fuels available now days there is really no reason to mess with any of this stuff. I have seen local racers dump some nitro in the engine oil and let it fume up through the breather and into the carb. Now that also worked, but was REAL hard on lower end bearings.
If you want the edge on power you can dump 10 to 15% of alkie in your fuel. It will give you a smidge more power. (Don't forget to rejet)

For those of you that think nitrous oxide is hard on parts, just try nitro!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Speaking of nitro; what ever happend to that Barrney that said he was running 100% nitro with no problems? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Acetone in your fuel?