CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tragedy......

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragedy......

So i finally got my motor apart on my DS. It had no compression so i figured a quick piston ring change and i'd be set. what started as a 30 dollar project turned into hundreds.....
The piston is all smashed up... and a big junk of it is completely smashed off. Cylinder is gouged and scratched pretty bad. and the head where it meets the jug is pulverized. So basically the ds is gonna sit for probably a long time...until i can save up to rebuild it. :-(

Old 08-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

Very sorry to hear that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Ebay should be a regular stop for you for awhile[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Tragedy......

Finally something DSNUT and I can agree on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] j/k Ron

As he said eBay should be a daily stop. Pistons and heads show up very frequently and from time to time complete DS motors. If you check right now there is a gentleman parting out an 02 Baja. Contact him and you guys may be able to swing a deal aside from eBay.

Don't give up on her, somebody is always upgrading and will have what you need shortly.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

lol, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Don't push my buttons, Ace..............All I have to do is start waxing philosophical to ruin your Saturday..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Don't think I won't do it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

Originally posted by: DS650powe
So i finally got my motor apart on my DS. It had no compression so i figured a quick piston ring change and i'd be set. what started as a 30 dollar project turned into hundreds.....
The piston is all smashed up... and a big junk of it is completely smashed off. Cylinder is gouged and scratched pretty bad. and the head where it meets the jug is pulverized. So basically the ds is gonna sit for probably a long time...until i can save up to rebuild it. :-(
How bad is the damage to the cylinder walls... if its not that bad you may be able to have it honed and just get a new piston. High compression anyone? Check out Millenium They have a couple options for damaged cylinders. They say they can even weld badly scored cylinders. And then replate it... HPR uses them for plating their 730 so you have some reference for the quality of their workmanship. Also maybe now is the time to have them bore it over a little. I think for around $700 you can get a whole setup with piston, boring, plating, and everything you need to set it up... I think that is for a 105mm bore... a smaller over bore may be cheaper. It seems like its a lot but I would figure you will spend $300 on buying used replacement parts... you could drop a little and get a 720 out of the deal.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That might be really cool.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Tragedy......

you're going to wax what?

Old 08-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

hard luck man! been there done that! and yes Millenium does an exceptional job welding holes in jugs and replating them...ask me how I know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] keep your chin up, you'll be back up and running soon.

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

Originally posted by: chouser
you're going to wax what?
Sorry, I see how that could be a confusing word. Philosophy is best described as rational enquiry, or enquiry guided by the canons of rationality. Philosophy differs from science in that its questions cannot be answered by testing, experiments or other empirical forms of research.

Waxing philosopically would describe expanding on a subject of a philosophical nature[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hope that helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

Your one of those people with a lap top computer mounted on your quad, arent you.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tragedy......

Wax off DSNut...... wax off. LOL