CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS frame strength & jumping ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS frame strength & jumping ?'s

I've recently started jumping cars & distance with my friends who have done this for years. The one has a 450R, the other a DS. (they did have 250Rs)The other night I overshot the landing ramp & landed on flat ground. (BTW the ramps are 66" & 59" high) I hit so hard my face (helmet on!) hit the handlebars & my DS gouged out the ground on the frame between the a-arms. I picked dirt & grass out of my frame & skid plate! It hit hard, I can't believe the wheels compress higher than the frame!!! Anyway I jumped overshot again after moving the landing ramp angle. I was worried about being short. I was in 4th gear & jumped 65ft to hard ground, hit my face, wrists hurt, neck hurts etc. My quad dug out the ground again, broke my motor skidplate, bent the bracket a little that hold the a-arm to the frame. The axle & whole quad seem to ride fine. To anyone out there who jumps at times where should a guy look for stress breakage on a DS? In your opinion should I doing this with a DS? Will it take it?

Also, anyhave a factory skidplate they don't want anymore?

Last, I started a personal webpage to host my pics & vids. It's lame so far I need to put more pics & my bigger jumps on, but this is a start.
pics

Old 08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

The axle & whole quad seem to ride fine. To anyone out there who jumps at times where should a guy look for stress breakage on a DS? In your opion should I doing this with a DS? Will it take it?
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>

Well after what you just explained I'd probably suggest NOT doing this but to each their own. Heck with the quad, respect your body a little bit. Metal can be fixed easily and a mechanic bill is a LOT cheaper then an ER visit.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I know.... I thought that too, but it's like a drug.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Some nice pics, and vids on your space [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would like to see some bigger and better though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm getting braver, no camera for the 40-65footers today though! Just 2 of us there Sunday. My friend went 70ft ramp to ramp the other day. That was crazy!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

if you have stock shocks are they set at maximumum height for max travel? if your shocks are the originals they are prabably not as stiff as when they were new. they do lose their compression and the spring does wear out. that jumping does sound pretty wicked though. i would love to see some vids.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have a post called pics & vids. There are two vids on the first link so far, I will try & get others up soon & on the 2nd site.

Yeah I turned my shocks up. Not all the way, it makes regular riding suck! Basically if I hit the ramp I'm OK, too short & I hit a steel & wood face, too long & wham on the ground. I'm inconsistent I guess. Just hoping the DS truely is as tough as it looks.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

looks pretty sweet man did you build those ramps or buy them and I would check into getting stiffer shocks maybe pick some up in whats in your garage for a good price and get a better skid plate moose sells a good underbody one becuase you never know what could pop up and stick into the motor...I have had a crack that help in my motor but I got that rewelded before powdercoating...I would check the shock mounts everyonce and a while and make sure that you aren't getting any cracks in the frame like the front end /backend near where the suspension is and close to the handlebars I wanna start jumping bigger stuff I made a sweet jump the other day with a gap

Old 08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

or a solution could be make the landing ramp longer and you won't be hitting the ground at all

Old 08-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah the landing ramp is 32ft, my friend wants to go with a 40ft landing ramp. I hope we can get enough money together to do it. Basically I need to make my landings more consistent, I'm all over the place! I've checked the DS over pretty good, just thought maybe there are suspect places to check. Thanks for advice.

Quick Reply: DS frame strength & jumping ?'s