CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Days news anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Days news anyone?

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
I trust you Super, and to be truthful... I've NEVER been there. I was told that by several people that it's just a big hill and no real good riding. That could be bull. Sounds like it is. I'll do more investigating and see what I come up with. Will Nevada officials let us do some racing? I would be up for that if we could - for sure.

If the serious racing started around early evening, who would have been giving that info out? Much respect to King Rap for getting as far as he did with FSW. For that matter, I could go spend $100 on trophies and hold my own races and win everything.... no what I mean...

Again, no offense to KGB and his crew. It was just a long way to go expecting to get some good organized racing in. Obviously DS DAYS was the reason I went, but the race was a nice back drop. Who knows, maybe if things were different with the guys that came up with me I would have felt different. Just kind of frustrated with the whole thing.

That said... Looking forward to next year!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

BigDaddy,

I for one respect your opinion. If more people want this event to be more seriously centered around a race event, that sounds like something to work for. Some of you know my personal opinion, and to be frank, I dont own a DS, so my opinion is moot in that area. I just want to help - I dont need to run anything thats for sure, I'd just be happy following someone's direction to help. To be honest, I've always liked the social aspect of the event. I totally had a blast taking out Jed's Rhino late Friday night with Sean and the Harrah boys. I have to get me one of those. However, after seeing how everyone got along this year, despite recent events here, I am actually pretty hopefull about the possibility of some more serious competition next year. I think we actually can get along. Nobody there was a manufacturer or a builder and there were no builder arguments.... man, that was nice! And a VERY refreshing change from last year. I saw every competing person willing to pick up a wrench and help someone else out - I think that something unusual compared to other more well known events which I wont mention. I know it was hot - but it was hot at Sand Mountain the year before, if not hotter. I was looking for a place to get out of the heat for sure. Thank God Jed had air in that trailer. I proabably would have gone back sooner if not.

I enjoyed talking with Brenton and his family, Major, Sean, Jed and his cadre, Qball, Asisback and his gang, as well as Tracy and her husband and thier son. Not to forget those two college dudes with thier flash jeep and thier awesome girz! WHOAAA! Oh ya, and supersonic with that awesome busa turbo conversion. Did I mention those girlz??????

I think this event was the most organized so far. Its probably time to rachet up that aspect of the event for next year, since some of the people are asking for it. Personally, the last thing I think we need is a few people that are simply poster children for one of the builders. If so, I hope they can sit down by the fire and not get into any arguements with someone that does not agree with them on parts or builds. For the life of me, I was totally surprised that didnt happen this year.

Jed, you did a good job. Dont let the suggestions for next year detract you from feeling successful. You got everyone there, got the camp nailed down, and kept everyone civil as well as entertained. There never has been a larger group of built motors at DS Days. There never has been as many people before either. Some fine racing too.

Marky

Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Missed seeing all you guys too.

Major, glad to hear your boy is going to be fine. The older my Daughter get's the more protective I find myself becoming. Turning into a worry-wart!

Major and Supersonic. . . stop talking about the bikes or one of you is going to have to build me one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Once again, seems like another DS Days has come and gone and in a gathering of DS owners there still isn't a bad apple in the bunch. Lot's of guys I need to meet still. . . Bigdaddy, Jed's Family, Cynick, Matt's Girlfriend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . . .

Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Marky, I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Hey Mike, you would have won the duner class with you riding it, easily. Not to take anything away from the 700r, but you would have beat him as bad as he beat me. So there, you go and leave early, and didnt even get a chance to take the trophy home. Hope thats enough guilt for ya. And if not, you missed the best dang dinner I have had in a long time. Man that Taco cassarole that Dragon, and Crashes mom made for to die for. Then throw on Nates and buds ribs, and everyone elses dishes, holy crap, I am glad it was on saturday night, I would have got my butt spanked racing with all that food in me. Lordy I bet I gained 10 pounds that night!!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Bigdaddy, I can understand your frustration. it was a long haul and your expectations were high and it didnt turn out as planned but if your camp hadn't had to leave you would have enjoyed the racing in the eavening I think and the pot luck ended up being a fun thing as well. there was a great turnout around the fire pit that night and that Sand Sports writer (forgot his name again)handed out lots of t shirts and and stuff . stories were told , it was all good. as for racing at sand mountain, if your expecting to shut down a portion of the hill and just run certain bikes it probably wont happen. if anyone is welcome to run the hill inbetween scheduled class runs then yes, you will be very pleased. on memorial weekend someone always drags the hill smooth and I have even seen a bobcat with tracks used, it just had to have a flag. the new race hill area seems to stay naturally smooth now and was real nice this weekend. I did many mid to high 80mph passes on it and had no issues or complaints.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

If DS days is held in Oregon next year or any time for that matter i would be happy to do what i can to help.Of course since i live here i would like to see it held here but i think that the weather we usually have Labor day weekend might be appealing to some.Yesterday there was some pretty serious racing at one of our bigger comp hills and from what i saw the law enforcement left everyone alone.I believe that the wooded trail riding that we have to offer here is something that most would enjoy especially if they have never experienced it.Just FYI the weather this weekend was partly sunny with some morning fog and about 65 degrees for a high in the afternoon.When will the location for next years DS days be decided?

Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

here you go bigdaddy ,now try and imagine that this hill is just about as tall as utah but longer. sand mountain from the air

Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

big daddy - sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you before you left. Get your mailing address to me and I'll square up with you on the shirt.
Thanks!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
Now my thoughts to Curtis..... You are a class act, and your boy is probably one of the nicest young men that I've met. EXTREMELY good kid, and one that loves his Dad a whole lot. If I knew nothing more about Curtis, that would be enough. My prayers and thoughts go out to your Son and family. I'll be praying for a quick recovery. Your build is nothing less than spectacular - both of them.
I could not say it better no matter how hard I could try. My heart about lept out of my chest when I seen mention that BIG J got hurt. Love that kid!. Big J,, a few words from your buddy Todd. Hang in there man. Dont let the bumps and bruises keep you from getting on that sand. I took a bad digger right before I moved to Utah on my DS and I still get scared from time to time as you have seen. When you throw your leg over that quad again, you get comfortable at riding again at your pace, not anyone-else's. Dont be afraid to say your nervous about something and dont be dissapointed if your a bit skidish. The biggest thing a man can do is get up when he is down and get back after it. Your one of the bravest littleman I know so I know you will be out there tearing it up soon enough! Get well soon BUDDY!!!

Sorry I didnt make it guys. Elk were begging to get found. I wondered several times though how DS Days was going. For the record, racing a quad gets your heart pounding, but putting a sneak on a heard of Elk in a grass feild and getting within 20ft about makes your heart pound right out of your chest. I was waiting for it to stop at any moment and leave me there and send me to the happy hunting grounds! Didnt get into any BIG bulls but they are there and we found alot of good hunting terrotory so I hve to chalk this trip as ALMOST worth missing DS Days but I sure missed seeing my freinds. Glad to hear all went well. Jed and Curtis, PM me your cell #'s, my old phone died and I cant retreive any info off of it. DSa, I got yours from when we quickly chatted. My number is still the same though.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:13 AM
KGB
Pro Rider

I just returned as well.
I just wanted to say thanks again to Jed and his group for their help and support doing what we could.
We said from day one that we did not know what we woudl be able to get away with and we would do our best. We did a smaller 4 stroke race race year that was even better organized, thats why we did it this year, just was a great cooincidence that it was on DS Days. Thanks for the help.
We were grooming the hill on Friday night and a suit BLM came over and told us no racing no grooming unless it was with hand tools.
So we kind of knew who needed to run off in the small block classes, and knew that the Rocket Factory bike was the fastest big block not in DS Days camp we we asked Jed if he would round up the fastest DS's and bring them over for the races.
I respectfully disagree that any Duner DS could have touched that 700R duner, but thats ok, he won by many lengths.
I only got to race Marios bike with Jed riding once, and it was not a 100% race but we lind them up together. Me riding my drag bike, and I never saw the Marios bike again.
The TRX was mine and on 100 octane pump gas.
It went a best of 58 and once the hill was jacked up it went about 56 the rest of the time. Dissapointed since last weekend we went 60 multiple times and 61 once or twice. But happy to win and happy to smoke Marios bike with Jed riding !!!
Brindleys TRX was running hard as hell as always. Had he not broke he could have gave Rocket Factory a run in the KOTH on the bottle.

Got to say that Dragon is a slime ball.
Comes over to my camp and gets needles and jets tells me to put it on his tab, he will be back for more and to let me know how it runs, never to be seen again.
Keep the money, honor is priceless.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
If DS days is held in Oregon next year or any time for that matter i would be happy to do what i can to help.Of course since i live here i would like to see it held here but i think that the weather we usually have Labor day weekend might be appealing to some.Yesterday there was some pretty serious racing at one of our bigger comp hills and from what i saw the law enforcement left everyone alone.I believe that the wooded trail riding that we have to offer here is something that most would enjoy especially if they have never experienced it.Just FYI the weather this weekend was partly sunny with some morning fog and about 65 degrees for a high in the afternoon.When will the location for next years DS days be decided?
Mike,

I think it will be a topic of discussion for the next week. At some point, we'll have to take a vote. Im sure ATV connections can give us a vote section of the forum were we can cast our votes. If not, there is that other one that can.

Florence, Coosbay, or Winchester all have thier appeals. A legal semi-organized non-racing event can happen with radar guns up the hill. Plus, there is also the cross country aspect of Florence wich I find personally appealing and might make a good poker run of some sort. Perhaps even a stop-watch timed course between certain point - sort of like a dune rally. All those areas have excellent camping available, most, if taken care of early, can even have full hook up. How nice would that be? Especially to the moms that are taking care of the kids. Night riding is only allowed at Winchester and Coos Bay if memory serves. That might be something to consider if indeed the Oregon thing is something people want. Winchester and Coosbay are both south of Florence.

Marky

Quick Reply: DS Days news anyone?