CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I got the Vtwin grin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got the Vtwin grin!!!

After my initial missfortune with the o6' 800 Outty XT, I was able to pick up a new 07' 800 XT. I'm happy again and got a chance to put a good amount of miles on this weekend to break her in. The new rims are cool lookin and the winch remote and roller fairlead are excellent additions. Did some light work with it yesterday on the property and man...this thing just goes anywhere. I'll be adding skids pretty quick here. Anyone have an opinion on what brand? I'm leanin tward the Richochet aluminums, but don't know if the plastic skids might not be better with winter closing in.
I can't wait to drag a deer out of the woods with this beast. This thing just made me really lazy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

can't wait to drag a deer out of the woods with this beast. This thing just made me really lazy.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>

Come on man, what did that deer ever do to you? LOL

Congrats on your replacement Outlander. I just put in my 10th hour this weekend, see my other post for a few "hiccups" I experienced yesterday.......for about a half hour I was suffering serious buyers remorse.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

In my opinion, the plastic skids are better than aluminum, as they wont bend. Congrats on the new ride! V-Twins have some wicked power!!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Plastic huh? HHHMMMM......come to think of it this would not be a bad idea at all. My Saturn has plastic side panels and they will not dent period, not necessarily indestructible, the plastic can break/tear in a serious accident but the original display models in the dealrships they allowed you to hit them with a sledge hammer and stuff just popped back.

Plastic would be lighter for sure but probably more expensive?? Might be easier to work with in terms of cutting. I'm gonna have to give this some thought.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I only say plastic because they come standard on AC, and have been brutally beaten on rocks, and logs, and only scratch. I have yet to have one break.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

have you raced an 800 polaris yet or a 700 grizzly and if so how bad did you beat them, just curious of torque, horsepower and top speed of this beast

Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

People keep talking about the weight of aluminum skid plates. It's 3 pieces of 3/16" aluminum! You can squeeze all 3 pieces in one hand and hold them straight out in front of you!

Get what you want, but weight is not an issue. A couple of 12 packs skipped and the added weight of skids is made up for.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

have you raced an 800 polaris yet or a 700 grizzly and if so how bad did you beat them, just curious of torque, horsepower and top speed of this beast >>>>>>>>>>

I haven't raced anyone but got up to 70+ and still pulling more speed but backed off because I have no need to go any faster, OR that fast for that matter.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

So skids are on the list of things to do. And after riding over a log(just like on the infomercial), i see a few waves in the "ski" frame. Here in Mi, we've got a lot of "boggy/swampy" stuff that tends to have sticks and logs pokin up. And then there's the thick overly vegetative woods that need to be plowed through(reason for getting the xt), and that stuff is loaded with stumps and a few rocks here and there. The rest of the season is snow. I know how snow and ice likes to build up on steel and aluminum, but i can't believe any build up would slow down the 800. Also, the plastic skids i found(can't remember the name), didn't offer A arm guards. I like the looks of the Aluminum, but I think the plastic is cheaper? Any thoughts? I know this has probably been debated 1000 times here, but what do ya'll find to be the better value lately? Oh yea, how about skids that offer "snow plow attach" without having to remove the skid? I've got a Country Cycle 60" plow,(I know, i should have gotten something better), and it looks like it mounts around the middle of the frame. Also hear you should remove the bracket before fun riding as opposed to plowing. There's got to be a better solution to that. Thanks again guys for the conversation.