CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Took the bomb to the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I went to the little sahara sand dunes with my bomb. It was all stock It did all right But it is way too heavy and the front end is out of control. I saw a raptor there with a white brothers silencer and paddles. It absolutley flew. He has drove the bomb and said the raptor is way lighter and funner to drive. If anyone has driven both in the dunes please reply which one you liked better and why. I am most likely going to sell the bomb and get one. What do you guys think I will be able to get for it, it is all stock and has about 20 hours and looks absolutley perfect.
Thanks

Old 12-04-2000, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

you due not need to sell your DS youe need to buy some paddle tires and a pipe.

Old 12-05-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

hey Bomberds,
Don't be so hasty to sell the DS -it's True that the DS is both constipated and asthmatic as a stock machine, I was very down on the bike shortly after I bought one too. It took a short time to get familiar with the machine and make the necessary adjustments to get A LOT more power out of that awesome engine.
I was down to little Sahara on Saturday and the only Raptor I ran in to did not have paddles. He had been watching me race banshees and modified 400ex's up the fingers and when I approached him he took off. I know it would not have been a fair contest but even if he had paddles I believe I would have stomped him. If you want to feel the difference and the potential of the quad you bought I'll let you take mine for a spin - if you like it I'll show you what I've done, anyway I'm up in Bountiful if you are interested.
later

Old 12-05-2000, 02:12 AM
Trailblazer

I live in Oklahoma and frequent Little Sahara. You need to pipe it (I recommend Graydone Proline $350.00 and get a Ron Woods CDI $350.00) and of course paddles. It will wake that beast up. I must say I've rode Banshees and Warriors in the sand and I love the way my DS handles and rides in the sand compared to them. If you research a little , the Raptors have been having alot of problems with bent axles, bent a-arms, blowing carbs off, and even tranny problems. But paddles and smoothie front tires are a must for the sand. The smooth front tires will keep the heavy front end floating in the sand.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you buy a new ATV every time someone else says it's not as good as the one they are riding, then prepare to buy a new ATV every other trip out to the dunes or other riding area.

Old 12-05-2000, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

bomberds,are you crazy?I have personaly seen a stock Raptor race a stock DS,both riders equal,on dirt,and the DS won every race.In sand, it would probaly be closer,because of the traction of the tires and exstra weight.So even stock its a better deal.

Old 12-05-2000, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have ridden both at Glamis several times. I own a DS and my best buddy has a Raptor. He has about 30 hours on it and has changed the front sprocket to one tooth smaller, and made the air box mod. We both run the exact same paddles and front tires, Skate II's and Razor Back's. I have a pipe, cdi box, and K&N.

Both quads are awesome to ride. He is a better rider than I am and sometimes he beats me in races up the walls at Glamis, but when I don't dig trenches on take off, or lift the front end straight up, I spank him every time. When he gets a pipe I'm sure that will change. We do however agree on one thing, we both like the DS better in the dunes.

Neither of us like the shimmy that you feel on the front end of the raptor. The stability is just not there. The suspension is another area that the DS shines over the Raptor. He feels the Raptor is too narrow and too short in wheelbase. From my ride impressions I tend to agree. So now he is in the process of purchasing aftermarket a-arms, longer axles, aftermarket shocks, steering dampner, and possibly an extended swingarm, an expense of at least $2K. I admit an $8500 Raptor would be cool to ride, but it is too rich for my blood.

I do like the Raptor, but based on my riding style, my riding area (mostly Glamis and some desert), and my preference for suspension over reverse I feel strongly that the DS is the right quad for me.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot for all the replies guys. I might keep the ds and get it modified, but the problem is not power I know it has power and with mods it would fly, but I just think it is too big and wide.I ride about fifty fifty on dunes and trails.It is too wide for most of the jumps over here where I ride.I ride with warriors and 250 rs the 250 s are really nice too. If I can get good money for it I will probably end up selling it. But I dont think I will be able to. So I will Most likely get it modfied and keep it. What suspension settings do you all run. I bottomed my rear shock out jumping off a dune.I hate turning the heavy beast around in the sand, reverse would be nice. Thanks a ton for all of your help.

Old 12-05-2000, 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Buy the PRM desert grab bar, it is well worth it, especially for the dunes when you get stuck. The stock grab bar is terrible.

Old 12-05-2000, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I run 3" of sag, the spec calls for 2"-3". To measure sag you need a helper. First measure from the ground to a convenient point on the rear of the quad, like the grab bar, when it is at rest on level ground with no one on the bike. Then the rider should sit on the bike in his normal riding position while a helper takes the same measurement as before. The difference in the two measurements is the sag. Tighten or loosen the preload on the rear shock until you achieve the desired sag. If you make significant adjustments to the preload you may also want to stiffen up the dampening and rebound settings a couple of clicks.

p.s. I agree with ScoobyDFW, the stock grab bar is bogus. PRM or Armadillo make much better units. The Armadillo six pack rack is a nice piece.

Quick Reply: Took the bomb to the dunes