CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can-am800 vs sportsman800

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default can-am800 vs sportsman800

Originally posted by: Riflman
[i]

Edit: BTW, you get a no cost 36 month warranty with the Outy, and if you buy fairly soon, you can take advantage of an extra 6 months = 42 months. When I find out the website to apply for the 6 months I'll post it for you.
Hey man, I just bought a 2007 800 XT Camo yesterday with the 3 year warranty. The sales rep mentioned that there is a site to go to or something where we can get an extra 6 months but I can't find anything. Can you help me? I understand that this is something I have to sign up for online.

Thanks!
Here ya go.

Here

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Kaiser Sosei can you tell me what news paper had the article and what day. I would love to have that article to put on the quadsquad web sit bet old cob would like that what do you think kawiyowee. I at one time was a real Polaris person in fact I owned four of them and have done many up hill wheel es because the back wheels must slip in order for front end to work.

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

first off a polaris 4wd system is on demand because you can push the button anytime with the exception of the back tires spinning excessivly. meaniing no move movement of the drive train is needed. not like what the magazines think that it is on demand because it is only on when needed and well it is but you control that. they miss inform people all time saying that is a speed/wheel slip sensing system and i' don't know where they get this. In thoery the front back wheels have to be moving faster than the front ones in order for the hillard clutch to stay locked in. depending on how new the polaris is they either have a clutch in the front diff or in the front hubs like the old ones. which that ended in 04 on most models. anyway when you push the 4wd button it activates a electro magnetic field near the clutch pulling multiple rollers to the outside of a hardened steel ring. In the center of this there is square peice that is splined to either the front driveshaft or the shaft on the cv joint. once this has happened the back tires need 1/10th of a turn to move the shaft jaming the rollers between the square block and outside ring. now you are in 4wd until essential you let off the throttle. that does cause a problem on steep decents because the engine breaking is only on the back tires. but climbing a hill you will always be in 4wd if the button is on. a very good way to prove the point . that it kicks in so quickly take a polaris out and get yourself stuck in 2wd against a fallen tree big enough you get over it without a run up. do it at an angle so you can also see the locked front end at work. once you are stuck back off the trottle and put in 4wd and climb over the tree and you will see that the back tires didn't spin before it kicked in they might slip the 1/10 th of a turn but you won't notice. and to all you people out there that think honda makes a 4wd quad they don't.

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

brpbear, the post by Kaiser Sosei, and your experienced post too, should be enough education for all of us.

What a tragedy! Could happen to any of us on any ride too.

The article itself would be good reading for cob, get his pressure up a bit, also educate him a bit.

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

but personally if you on a hill that steep, that's just unsafe on a machine that heavy I leave hill climbing to my cr250

Old 10-03-2006 | 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

there is also a gearing difference of 15-20 percent for the sole purpose of keeping the 4wd hubs engaged. i think going over backwardsup a hill is from other things. likw weight distribution and driver error

Old 10-03-2006 | 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ihad one one of the first 350 trial boss 4x4 Polaris that I got in 1990 and the last was a 01 that I trade in 03 so after ridding popos for that long I think I know what cause the front to come up.In order for the front wheels to pull the back must slip about 25% but this not the only reason that I left them it was their lack of power after kawi came out with the Vee-Twin and they seem to be used-up at about 3000mi.

Old 10-03-2006 | 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Man, these forums are worse then the NFL forums......Difference is I KNOW my Raiders SUCK and don't need anyone telling me so............I know my Outlander doesn't suck and won't as long as I take care of it.

Whether Yamaha, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, AC, Polaris or Can Am are the best is much more subjective and less well defined.

Had a date Saturday night, she just ROLLED her eyes when she saw my Dodge, she was like "I'm gonna get a GM truck" I just ROLLED my eyes and said "yeah, but mine has a Hemi......" she just looked at me like "WTF is a Hemi"? LOL

Old 10-03-2006 | 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys thanks for the link to the extra warranty. Apparently, I got it so I'm good at 42 months. WooHOO!

As for Dodge, I had one when they weren't cool. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Now they have hemis. LOL

I'm now a Ford man. They have more ground clearance and are tougher all around. Their tranny's don't blow pulling a 500 pound load either. Heh, heh. My other Ford is Land Rover Discovery built in '02, a couple of years after Ford bought 'em. No Chevy's for me and but the chicks still dig the lifted Rover. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2006 | 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Its interesting to see the one bad point about Polaris 4WD system. Lets see what all the fuss is about.

1) The Polaris system allows both front tires to turn at a faster rate when the quad turns a corner. The BRP has at least one of the two front tires and often times both front tires slipping in the turn because the front is locked to the rear end. Remember.. no center diff. So every time a BRP turns a corner in 4WD it is slipping its tires.

2) When the BRP becomes stuck, its famous visco-lock becomes 3 wheel drive until it finally engages. Interesting concept. The Polaris system engages in 1/12 of a wheel revolution. Hmm.. more of that tire slipping stuff.

3) When any quad is on any surface, its tires are slipping. On low traction surface, we get more acceleration when our wheels slip slightly. Now when the BRP system slips in 4WD, all tires may (or 3) may slip including your front steering wheels. Kinda hard to steer when all tires are slipping. When the Polaris system slips, we get maximum torque transfer to the rear tires by allowing them to slip first. And the fronts will only slip (preserving our steering) till the rears have provided considerably more acceleration torque and the fronts have reached their normal limit of traction.

4) When driving down a very slippery muddy or snow/ice covered hill, the BRP goes into a 4 wheel skid because of 4 wheel braking. This is the scariest situation to be in in a 4wd vehicle. The Polaris will never go into a 4 wheel slid in this situation because the front tires will free wheel, so you can always steer yourself to safety.

The Polaris system is very unique and has a performance advantage in most any instance of comparison. The Scrambler makes use of this advantage to often destroy Utes and sports quads in the twisties. Its advantage comes from the fact that it can provide maximum transfer of power to the rear wheels around the corners by spinning them like a sports quad with the added benefit of providing additional torque to the front tires. And unlike the BRP Ute, it does not force its front STEERING tires to loose traction in the corner.

So yeh.. I agree with mrtwostroke.. the Polaris system beats the BRP system hands down..
Bryce

Quick Reply: can-am800 vs sportsman800