CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can-am800 vs sportsman800

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006 | 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default can-am800 vs sportsman800

Bryce are you sure you ride a Polaris boy it must be a lot better than the ones I had because as I remember they wear a handful on the ice. On a Polaris when you let up isn't the engine braking on the rear wheels only how does that work on a icy corner. Have you ever taken your Polaris down a real step hill wear you had to hold the brake and give it gas at the same time. That's if you don't go sideways and rollover. Then some of them still use chain drive. If Polaris is so fast why don't you see them winning any races.

Old 10-04-2006 | 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

So yeh.. I agree with mrtwostroke.. the Polaris system beats the BRP system hands down..
Bryce
>>>>>>>>

BFD, line em up/////.........

Old 10-04-2006 | 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raidermike67
So yeh.. I agree with mrtwostroke.. the Polaris system beats the BRP system hands down..
Bryce
>>>>>>>>

BFD, line em up/////.........
Mike, brpbear, he doesn't have anything to line up! Go look at his photo page, his bada$$ snow plow, etc.

Bear, you were right, he wouldn't know a Polaris ute if it came up and bit him in the a$$. And his long winded post is just like its writer, FOS.

Old 10-04-2006 | 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I hear a lot of trash talking.. but no technical arguments.. com'on guys.. you got to do better than that.

Old 10-04-2006 | 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Might also try looking at the Grizz.

I personally preferred the SP over the outty because:

1. I like the way the shifter is laid out better. I use mine to plow with and to pull trees for firewood. I can go from R-L without having to pass through other gears or snake it around the nubs. For this reason the weight is also a +.

2. I found the ride of the sportsman to be smoother not as bumpy. The bomb seems alot more bumpy. Again maybe the weight helps, more sprung weight.

3. I found the sp AWD got traction better. Last spring was pulling a log with my gf (now wife) outty. Had 2 rear tires in about 2-3" water over ice coming out of a swamp. RF was in snow, LF was on nice solid ground. Had the rears & RF spinning and the LF that was on solid ground did not turn or pull a bit. I had to grab the front bumper and nudge it to finally get it going. Up til that point I was considering an outty.

I am not saying the outy is a bad machine by any means but it was just not for me.
On the other hand I do think SP has some reliability/workmanship issues to work on. Although it is touted as a mudder the rad sure likes to get packed full & overheat pretty easy.

Old 10-05-2006 | 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

ya what happened to th rad being right out in the open like the older machines from everybody. so many a rely on the fan to suck air through the rad not just air flow from speed. they are also had to clean cause of this. the worst one i've seen is actually a honda that is supposed to be air cooled but doesn't get any air flow because it is covered by a bunch of stuff . Like the oil cooler that it relys on which also doesn't get much air asdie from what the fan can do. so when a sensor goes out (like happened to a freinds) it just over heats and burns the rings up. I was also reading a magazine on a ac 700 and they were saying they it had such great body work keeping noise down and heat off the driver, ya great idea let the driver stay cool but lets make the engine easy to over heat. great ideas guys. i'm not making fun of one machine over another just all the manufactures in general

Old 10-05-2006 | 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

BryceGTX.
I have both the Outie 800 and Polaris 500. I have tons of time in the sand and a fair amount on rock and hardpan trails. The Polaris has tossed it rider at least twice on steep downhill. When the Outie engages 4wd it is seamless and smooth. When the Polaris finally engages it is harsh with aggresive front well hop. There is absolutley no comparison between the Outie and the Polaris, either in uphill performance or downhill braking. You may continue to try to confuse the real world of the performance differences with your techno-babble, but those of us that have both know you are whistleing in the wind.

Old 10-05-2006 | 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well sad Cardiac and you didn't have too bring up the fact that the outty has 28% more usable power or has a three year warranty and not a 6mo like Polaris so Polaris must know poor their ATVS are I do.

Old 10-05-2006 | 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Cardiac. I have ridden the new Sportsman 450, the Outy 400 and the Acrtic Cat 400. I saw no such problem with the Sportsman that you describe. It sounds like you need to do some work on your 500. BTW.. what year is your 500?

What my post clearly attacks is the argument that when the Polaris slips its rear tires in 4WD. Most people consider it a bad think. However, they never cosider the fact that all ATVs have significant tire slippage. The Polaris system has considerable advantages that no one else offers.

As far as the down hill braking problem. Although this is a problem that many complain about with the Polaris. It is a fact of life that every ATV deals with when it is in 2WD. As a driver on an ATV, you must be able to handle this situation. Because it can happen on anyones quad. Now if you are going to tell me that it was an inexperienced rider that this happen to while on your 500, then it was your responsibility to make sure that this rider would not do something that you clearly knew was unsafe.

Just because you do not understand the techo-babble, does not make it any less true.

Old 10-05-2006 | 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

What my post clearly attacks is the argument that when the Polaris slips its rear tires in 4WD. Most people consider it a bad think. However, they never cosider the fact that all ATVs have significant tire slippage. The Polaris system has considerable advantages that no one else offers.
>>>>>>>>>>

Do you own both? I'll take the word of someone who both owns and rides both over techno babble.

Quick Reply: can-am800 vs sportsman800