CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Axle Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you're carrier bearings seized up. Take the axle apart and put new bearings in and make sure to pack them up good with grease. But a good way to check is to take the front sprocket off and see if the axle spins. If it spins then it's good and you have another problem, if it doesn't spin you know your bearings are shot.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

wouldnt it be better if it didnt spin? then id just have to replace the bearings instead of the transmission.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dwappey77
wouldnt it be better if it didnt spin? then id just have to replace the bearings instead of the transmission.
Yes, much better. Splitting the cases kind of sucks.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, its deffinitely my transmission. there is a filler plug about three incheds from the clutch that goes into the transmission. does anything go in there, transmission fluid or anything???? the plug takes an allan wrench and on the bottom of the quad is the drain for it. its a ds650 from 2001. great bike but the tranny's shot i think. im just trying to prevent similiar problems in the future

Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dwappey77
ok, its deffinitely my transmission. there is a filler plug about three incheds from the clutch that goes into the transmission. does anything go in there, transmission fluid or anything???? the plug takes an allan wrench and on the bottom of the quad is the drain for it. its a ds650 from 2001. great bike but the tranny's shot i think. im just trying to prevent similiar problems in the future
Nothing goes in that hole that I'm aware of. I've never had to take it out. So, you checked the carrier bearings? If your tranny is shot that sucks. I don't know how that would happen at all. I know shift forks go out but a tranny seizing is very rare on a DS. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

well if the anti freeze goes to the transmission then thats how it happened. the anti freeze hose was loose and it leaked out over a period of time so that may be why the transmission seized. does the anti freeze go to the transmission? if so then thats deffinitley how it happened. the motor though is unaffected and is perfectly fine. and yes i took off the front sprocket the other day and the back axle spun fine so thats bad, haha. i called a shop and they said to fix the tranny it would cost (at the very most) $800. so im not a happy man, haha.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

No the antifreeze doesn't go in the transmission. The tranny is in the heart of the motor where all of the oil sits so there would probably be more problems if coolant caused the problem. That sucks man but you could always save a few bucks and do the work yourself. Good luck whatever you do.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

i think thats actually good news. i thought the transmission was like totally ruined, it may just be as simple as a small piece broke off internally and got jammed. were gonna tear it apart or take it somewhere i guess. the oil level was fine, it wasnt the rear axle bearing, or the clutch like another guy told me. so im just guessing something internal broke from the previous owner abusing it or something or maybe it was just old, i dont know. i think it breaking actualy saved my engine cause if i would have ran it more the lack of antifreeze wouldve raped my engine right?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

im doing the bearings on my 03 ds650 baja and am just wondering if i can tap the bearings all the way down the the sprocket or i need to take off the sprocket and atack it from that side, and also the bearings are a cone shape and does the smaller part of the cone face into the chain tightener or out of it? thats for your help guys