CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Axle Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Bearings

Whats up everybody. I am new to the site and you were reffered to me as the best bunch of DS guys around.

Anyways. My brother has an 05 DS650. We were riding the other day and we are pretty sure the axle bearings went out in it. We were riding and he said it felt like something was cathing in the rear end, then the rear tires locked up. It would roll backwards but not forward. He was able to ride it back to the truck but you could hear it grinding the whole time.

Does it sound like axle bearings to you guys?

How easy is it to replace the bearings?

I read something about a recall on the axle bearings too. How can I check to see if his bike falls into that recall?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 Axle Bearings

Yes it sounds like the axle bearings have gone to me or maybe one has gone it depends... First to get it apart take the tires off and leave the hub on the side of the axle with the sprocket and take the hub off the side with the brake...you will then want to loosen the 13mm I believe bolts that hold the brake caliper on and hang the caliper out of your way...then if you look on the brake hub you will see an axlenut on the end of the brake hub and loosen the bolt so you will be able to turn and loosen the nut with a pipe wrench or adjustable...then on the end of that nut there is a ring and a washer looking thing you must get the ring out of the washer I usually take a hammer and screwdriver and tap on the washer part and the ring pops out...once that is loose take it off and take the brake hub off as well...the axle will slide out but the chain either has to have it taken apart at the master link or before you take the brake off of the rear you should take a really larger socket and put it on the front sprocket and take that off so the chain will be able to slip off of the rear...pull the axle out and wipe all of the old greese and junk off along with what is inside of the carrier...now you can take the carrier out or leave it in but inspect it along with the races and bearing and seals to see what shape they are in...then repack the bearing once they are clean or new and put the seals in but only put them about flush with the axle carrier or else the axle won't fit tight slide the axle through and put the chain on the rear sprocket if you loosened the front one up...put the brake hub back on,washer,ring and turn the axle nut tightening it this time once it starts to get a little pressure not alot I like to start to push the ring back into the groove of the washer and make sure it is almost closed then take an adjustable or pipe wrench and tighten up the rear with the axle nut then just put everything back like tires,hub,front sprocket,caliper...then you should be set if you did everything right I have an 01 ds 650 so they may have changed the design a little but not much so good luck and welcome to the forums...if you would like to take the carrier all the way out you will need snap ring pliers.
Brett

Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody with an 05 know if its the same

Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have an 01 and my rear axle bearing have just given out, however ,I have riden the hell out of my DS, not sure why an 05 would have the same problem?

Old 09-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

They changed the locknut in 04.Before you take the brakes off make sure to
break free the wheel hub.Its on with 170 ft lbs and the factory did it right.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

i have an 05 & it comes apart the same way.. if i am not mistaken the 05 uses a sealed bearing.. i don't remeber any grease being on my axle when i took it apart & there is no greese fitting on the carrier, i have 7 quads to work on in my house so i may be mistaken about the sealed bearing part. but disassembly is the same.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 AM
FGR
Trailblazer

They're not sealed, you will need to grease them. The stock carrier has no grease fitting, so I drilled and tapped a hole in mine and installed one. Works great. It would work even better if my swingarm had a hole in it that I could get to the fitting thru. But it's still not bad, I just slide it out once and a while and pump some grease in.

And you don't need snap ring pliers, you need REALLY BIG snap ring pliers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

lol true that...new ds guy to add to the group welcome fgr

Old 09-29-2006, 06:11 PM
FGR
Trailblazer

Thanks for the welcome, been reading forever, thought it was time to start writing some[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

well its good you joined the ds group these guys know alot I am sure you already know that from reading for a while though

Quick Reply: DS650 Axle Bearings