CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Outlander 650

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Outlander 650

sounds like yours is doing the same thing as mine.........."banging" in and out of gear. Cept it has no gears. I am heading down to the dealer today to test ride a few others to see if they do the same thing.

I do wait for the fuel pump to pressurize the system before turning the motor over. Not sure about the kill switch. I suspect that is BRP's lawyers talking wanting both switched off. Shouldn't they be wired together in the harness somewhere? Turning the key and hitting the kill switch both must do the same thing when it comes to killing power right?

Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like he needs to have it looked at, probably the internal clutch grabbing and releasing for some reason.

I turned off mine with the key and right back on and it fired. I do notice the "hummm" when turning on the key at first and I always wait for that sound to stop before trying to fire it up, not sure if the manual suggests this but just a habit I already developed.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Even in the ATV safety course they teach you to use the kill switch(although they don't let you say KILL switch) to turn off. I've NEVER got into this habit, both my friends do and whenever we switch quads I always turn it over a dozen times before I realize the switch is off. I view the kill switch as an emergency only switch.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

I guess if you did everything the owners manual says not to do, you might as well not even ride it....and remember....no ape hangers ? nice,huh! hunter, try one other thing..get on good ground surface, get er' good and warmed up...get a good holt on er', take your right thumb and put it on the trottle lever, and very quickly shove it all the way forward then tell me what you think,lol...now thats what I'm talkin' about. Tell me what your dealer says about the other things, thanks SS 800

Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 800Xt that is Three weeks old. I was noticing something on my unit that is similar to what you guys have been talking about. I have noticed if I am going at a very slow speed it seems the outy has what I call a slight constant jump that you can hear and slightly feel the outy move kind of like when a vehicle is in a slow idle and the RPM jump up and down slightly.

Does this fit anyone elses thoughts

Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

rmanster, try coming to a complete stop, then ease on the gas and see if it sorta jumps into gear. You might have to do it several times to get it to do it. It must just be the belt grabbing, but it can sound and feel like a knock or a bang. Yesterday when I rode, it wouldn't do it all the time. But when I tried to get it to do it, it would. I don't really think it is anything to worry about. But its nice to know that others are doing this too. My 800 xt is only 3 weeks old also. Not trying to fade off the 650 subject, hunter, just replying to another 800 owner. Thanks

Old 10-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I had almost three years on my previous Outlander 330 and I THINK I know what you guys are talking about and if it is it's fairly normal. For starters these Outlanders make all kinds of noises, I used to hear my 330 coming a mile away, anyway....If you go from acceleration and just let off the throttle completely then punch it again, yes there is a tick/knock that is normal upon acceleration. I THINK this has something to do with the EBS engaging and disengaging, these are pretty fast machines so if you go right into a sharp deceleration it feels as if the enging braking kicks in but if you then punch it it disengages and I think that is the tick/knock some are hearing.....since I was used to this from my 330 I've never paid much attention to many noises coming from these ATV's.

Generally managing the throttle minimizes this sensation but it takes a while to get used to. I'm not 100% sure this is the problem the original poster has been having but with so many hours in one I'd have to actually go ride for a bit and pay attention to be sure. I'm riding on Sunday so I'll try and pay attention to what I'm talking about and maybe describe it better to hopefully easy any worries others might have.

R2D2 Lives!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought one of these bikes last weekend and noticed it is doing the same thing.. Only when you try to take off very slow..

Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went to the doctor and said it hurts when I do this. He said don't do that.

can am is a vette not a caddi. Give her hell.lol

Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like the belt is slipping and engaging. Try it in low and see what happens

Quick Reply: New Outlander 650