CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Outlander 650

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Outlander 650

Hello just purchased an Outlander Max 650. In riding yesterday for the first time I noticed two issues. First is when starting slowly or maneuvering around slowly the transmission is grabby. Constantly engaging and disengaging abruptly, enough so to spin the tires in sand, I am somewhat new to belt transmissions but I have never experienced this before. Is it normal?

Second when shutting off the machine then almost immediately restarting it won’t start, the engine will turn over but not fire. You must remove key wait a few seconds then try again. What is the issue here?

Old 10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Well the 650 is quite powerful so that could be causing the tire spinning. I'm not exactly sure what it is you are experiencing or at least I haven't had a smiliar feel, not sure if there is much difference in the gearing or anyting for the MAX models.

The second issue could be related to the DSS, the key is encoded so it can't be started without that exact key, could simply be a feature built into the system. I notice when I turn mine off the lights on the dash stay on. I'll go try mine and see if it does the same thing when tr ying to restart. By shutting off do you mean the kill switch or the key? Does it do it both ways?

Old 10-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

By shutting off I mean the key. Have not used the kill switch at all yet.

It is not the power causing the tires to spin. Feels like the belt is grabbing and releasing grabbing and releasing. I will play with it more again today but it causes the machine to surge or jerk ahead when trying slow speed maneuvers. If you have not experienced it then most likely it is an issue with mine.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Are you familiar with how EBS works? It almost sounds like the EBS is engaging and disengaging, try tapping the throttle a tiny bit whenever it does this. Just checked mine and it starts up immediately after turning key off then back on, no delay or anything.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

BTW, just an FYI. Check your battery connections closely and triple strap down your battery, the rubber strap is not sufficient and a loose battery connection caused me all kinds of problems two weeks ago.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will try tapping the throttle. Thanks for the tip on the battery.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Was out again this afternoon with the Can-Am. The grabbiness is still there. It occurs as the slowest speed you can go and get the machine to move, the transmission engages and jerks the machine forward a foot or so then releases and does it all over again. I have very little experience with belt machines but have never noticed this before.

PS the machine failed to start again until the key was removed. Guess it needs to go to the dealer for inspection and repair.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I have ridden the 650 and an 800 Max, neither machine was grabby at all. On both machines I was very gentle in my takeoffs (since they both belonged to someone else). Therefore it must be a problem with yours. Sounds like you will need to make a trip back to the dealer to have it checked out (under warranty of course)...

Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Range Rover

When you ride, do you ride with your thumb on the end of the throtle or with your thumb over the lever. Using the end of the throtle, especially on the outty will make it very jumpy! Had to relearn my buddy when he went from a AC 400 to a Outty 800.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

Hunter, I also noticed last evening when riding my new Outy 800 XT that when I am stopped and start off slowly, it seems to jump into gear, almost like a bang or a knock. I tried it several times and it seems to go out of gear and bang back in. I didn't like the feel of it. I gurss we have 3 years to break it. I will ask more about this. the other thing....the owners manual says it is best to turn the machine off with the kill switch. After it is turned off then right back on, you should hear a buzzing for about 3 or 4 seconds. That is the EFI resetting itself, then hit the start button and it should start right up. But it might not if you don't let the buzzing stop first. Try that and see what happens.

Quick Reply: New Outlander 650