CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why so slow

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so slow

The needle will not have any markings... it is under the round cover. You raise or lower the needle to get more or less fuel. Your jets are under the cover(float bowl) that the screws are stripped on. The jets are very small brass fittings with a hole in the middle located under the float bowl. The stock jet is usually a 165 but if the bike was jetted when the pipe was installed you may have the correct one already. I would guess that may be the case. I bet your poor performance was mostly due to the air filter being off.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why so slow

Man i hope you haven't done irrepairable damage to your engine, you should never run any type engine without the air filter you're sucking dust and dirt straight in your inake !!! Hook up that filter and put some seafoam in the gas tank it's a fuel cleaner/stabilizer and work great at cleaning the fuel sytem and the entire combustion chamber. You can get the seafoam at most auto parts store's,O'reallys,auto zone and advance auto parts stores ; i think you can get it at walmart stores now ! I've been a small engine tech for over 20 years, and this is the best stuff i've ever found !!!!!........................williebee

Old 10-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

Ok i got the cover off and i see why its called a float bowl, in the center there is a brass fitting and it says 165 on it. Thats the stock jet right? So if i have a different pipe on it i need a different jet? I'll go get some seafoam as you suggested is there anyway of telling that i did damge without tearing apart the engine? i wish i would have checked the air filter before i went riding, but its too late now. In the future i will always check.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Why so slow

Well the best thing to do would be to check the compression, check your valve clearances, and change the engine oil.
If those all check out you should be OK., Are you getting any smoke at startup ?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

No i'm not getting any smoke at startup, but after looking into the pipe that lead into the engine after the carb i can see an area where dirt has collected before entering the engine. How do you check compression? and is that the right jet for the pipe i have?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

I would go with a 175 with your lid on... if you want to run lid off I would run a 180-185.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

lid? are you talking about the lid for the airfilter box?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

Also, you said lid on or off, this is a dumb question but what works better for speed/power

Old 10-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

I think you would be better off with the lid on.
Go and buy a new slide if the rubber is ripped it wont run correctly.
If you have the money get a dyno jet kit,if not buy a small mikuni jet at 170-175-180.
You can get them at most dealers.
Before id run it id clean any visual dirt i could see.Deffinitly change the oil.

After you get a new slide and all the parts reinstalled into it then we all can help get your
jetting right.
Where do you live?

Old 10-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

I live in Wisconsin, starting to get a little cold out but temps dont bother me, not after iraq numbed my senses down. How much are we looking at for a price of jetting? i looked into it and its like 40-60 bucks for a little needle? thats a little expensive right? Also they dont say whether they're 165,175 180's or what they just say 2000 bomb 650ds jet kit. anyway i can adjust mine or do i have to change? Another thing, can i use the same air filter or should i change that too? i could just blow this one out.

Quick Reply: Why so slow