CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why so slow

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so slow

I bought a used 650 ds (2000) and had a friend look it over to make sure it was in good shape. all is well but when i took it to the trials, its not as fast as the other stock quads my friends ride.(500 outlaw and 450 ex) We race and it doesn't have the power to keep up. i dont know enough about atvs to figure this out. what should i do? I did notice that after a little riding, it does make a gun shot like popping sound and will turn off while idleing after i've been riding it for a while. I tried shifting at different points to capture more power but i'm still blown away but my buddies quads. Tire s are good, other than that i dont know what to look for.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

What do you have done to your DS... pipe, jetting, intake... if you don't have at least a pipe and new filter you might get beat by the 450.... put a pipe and proper jetting on it and you should be able to hang anywhere, except maybe on long hill shoots. Even without those things though you should not be getting killed that badly though. If you are backfiring you are probably not tuned correctly. Do a search for OMR's "stock carb mods" thread... it has some very good info for tuning. I would say to take it to the shop, but the stock carb is easy to tune and there are enough people here with experience that you should be able to get it going. Plus its always good to have some knowledge about your machine. You should give it a try yourself. Get your buddies togather who know about bikes, have them read OMR's thread and see what you can do. Then if you still can't get it, maybe think about taking to a shop with a dyno. Good luck, and don't be affraid to post a million questions... it gives me something to do other than read my builder is better than yours all day.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

I did notice that after a little riding, it does make a gun shot like popping sound and will turn off while idleing after i've been riding it for a while.>>>>>>

Definately something is wrong. My stock DS does and hasn't ever done this. When I had mine in for it's first service the dealer installed a secondary fuel filter, he said that that he's seen some problem with too much dirt gettting into the jets so he just did this as a courtesy, never really thought about it.

To give you an idea of the type of power you should expect I stock for stock I could pass my buddies YFZ450 shifting from third to fourth....he's dumped about a grand into his now so he can probably pass me by now.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

Ok i went and checked out the type of pipe, its a pro circuit t4 and there is a little black plastic case hanging off the engine it says ron wood racing products on it. Other than that i dont know how to check jetting or the filter your talking about. I hear people talking about jetting but i dont know exactly what it is or how to do it. Also when i bought it, it came with a spare set of front and rear sprockets. i dont know what other mods have been done to it but if you told me how to check i would. Ohh, and i cant find that thread about carb mods you were talking about.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

It's Long but check out the whole thing, it is a good read.

Do some searches for jetting to see how to get after it. There is a ton of info on this site. Basically you will take off the bottom cover of the carb, called the float bowl. There are small brass jets inside that you change out. Stock is usually a 165, I'm guessing with pipe and K&N filter a 175 main should be good if you are running with the lid on, and a 180 or 185 with lid off. I ran a 200 with ported intake and no air box.

The Ron Woods labled box is a CDI, it eliminates your rev limit. I would bet you are reving too high when you shift. The stock rev limit is only 7700rpm. You don't make power above that on a stock cam/valve bike. For you being new to the DS you may not realize where the shift point should be. Try shifting what seems like VERY early.

The gearing may also be an issue. If you are geared too high you will see some bog. Stock gearing is 16 front and 40 rear. Dropping to a 15 front may be a good idea, but check out what you have.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.
Default Why so slow

the ron wood plastic thing is a rev box, you have no rev limiter, so watch how hard you spin your motor. it sounds to me that your jetted too rich. count the teeth on your sprockets and see how many there are a bigger front means more top end. see whats on the bike and let us know.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

With a mr.horsepower end cap and a k&n,outerwears what jetting do i do.I have an 2005 dsx.It comes with proper jetting I think.Im not to smart with carbs & ect.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Why so slow

Where are you located? Maybe you could hook up with some of us at the dunes or out on the trails and we would be glad to get you dialed in. No sense in getting beat by an Outlaw and a 400EX when you should be smoking that azz on a steady basis.
Let us know, we'll get you there.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

ok i checked the gearing, right now there is a 16 front and 38 rear on it, when i bought it, it came with a spare set that is 18 front 40 rear. Also i'm not sure when the last time its been maintained like oil tranny fluid air filter that kind of stuff. What should i look for to see if it needs that. Would that kind of stuff make a big difference?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

oh yeah and how much would it cost to bring it in to a dealer to do the jetting and other stuff?

Quick Reply: Why so slow