CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I love oil, it's so darn slick

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love oil, it's so darn slick

Ok so i need to change the oil on my ds650, should i change both oil and oil filter or just oil? Second, is the oil filter inside that black bowl in the front under the headlight? If not where is it? And the oil drain plug it that located under the engine? any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Read

Search for oil change. It's been addressed numerous times and some good reading because we've all dumped two or three quarts on our garage floor the first time. You should get to experience it as well, but we're here to help so I guess you miss out on the fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Ok i checked the other threads, but i dont have a manual and none of the other threads explained where the oil filter is. I looked and looked and unless its under something or behind something that you need to remove i cant find it. Also, how big is it? it must be kind of small. I've been working on this all day and need a simple answer........where????

Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a small round cover (about 2.5" in diameter with two hex bolts holding it in place right under where the exhaust header passes the side of the motor. Pull those two hex bolts out carefully and remove that cover. Pull the filter straight out. Follow the instructions in those threads Ace referred you to and you will be fine.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

Ok i see now.... thanks for the help, wow it must be small to be inside there. Do you think i can pick one up at the local fleet farm? they have oil filters, but i didn't check if they had ones to fit a ds. I might have to order one.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

dont pay no 20 dollars for one. if you cant find a reasonable priced one get back on here.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

If you plan on doing a lot of riding then the stainless filter will pay for itself in a season. Nothing on the Bomb is cheap, however, ebay is by far the best place to pick them up. Usually you can get them in three packs for about what a dealer will charge you for one.
Try Parker Yamaha or the dealer in Henderson NV for the 03 and newer filter cover. The newer filters are longer, therefore providing better filtering. The longer ones are easier to find for cheaper also.

Be sure to have plenty of rags, and carb/brake cleaner handy to clean up your mess![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]