CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Quench Head

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quench Head

Besides Rcoop and HPR has anyone had success with using an improved quench head?

Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Define "quench" please. If its where the flat part is angled for a different domed piston with better flame travel I've got one and I liked it during the brief time I used it.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Quench area is typically the flat area on the top of the piston that's almost level with the top of the block deck. It must have a corresponding flat area on the deck surface of the head to qualify as quench.
If you look at a combustion chamber, you will usually see these flat areas, and they will have the volume of the actual combustion chamber between them. When the piston is compressing the mixture, as the piston nears the head, the flat areas on the head and piston come together and force the mixture from those areas to "squish" into the chamber, where the spark plug and burning mixture reside, so you achieve a more complete burn.
The quench area also runs cooler than the rest of the chamber / piston. These lower temperatures are where the "quench" comes from.
When properly designed, the quench areas can have a tremendous effect on the quality of combustion, and allow higher compression ratios, and due to this they are considered "artificial octane" by scientific types.
Bottom line is "properly designed, quench is good".

Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

I was thinking about this alot during my last build. I wanted to un-shroud the valves but didn't want to cut into the small amount of squish the DS head has. Because of the two plugs and having valves causing turbulance, I favored the un-shrouding. Made more sense to me. I should have dynoed the mods without un-shrouding then after. It is just a trail quad so I didn't care much. Would have been nice to know I guess. I do wonder how much turbulance is in a valved head. Is a squish area important. Should we remove the outside plug and replace it with a squish area? Are there pictures ofRcoop or HPR's trials?

I know proper squish is very powerful in a two stroke. They have plenty of room for an effective squish band. In a four stroke, if I had more room, I would try and fit in another valve.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

rcoop says he is running a quench head on his 650, but has not been willing to share.
Hpr, well what can you say, they can's share everything, they are fast and they are trying to make a living building race motors.
Without sharing, the DS community continues to be very small. Only the guys with the big bucks seem to learn by paying for the info.
It is ashame that such a good machine has only grown slightly in sales.
Now you can see why the factory is putting more development into the 4wheel category.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Originally posted by: OMR
rcoop says he is running a quench head on his 650, but has not been willing to share.
Hpr, well what can you say, they can's share everything, they are fast and they are trying to make a living building race motors.
Without sharing, the DS community continues to be very small. Only the guys with the big bucks seem to learn by paying for the info.
It is ashame that such a good machine has only grown slightly in sales.
Now you can see why the factory is putting more development into the 4wheel category.

OMR - No disrespect intended but rcoop has said a lot of things that have turned out not to be the case and HPR has removed themselves from this forum because this particular forum has been harmful to them and a great point of stress and hassle.

I don't know anything about "Quench Heads". Don't think Eric or Randall are ignoring your thread, they just don't read this forum anymore. You could call them and discuss it with them or post your question over on On-Dunes or Planet Sand where they are active

Good Luck,

Ron

Old 11-18-2006, 11:45 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

DSNUT,
Since my surgury I have not been mentally all together, better as each day passes. Sorry if I gave the perception that I was upset with HRP. My relationship with HPR is actually good, I have only needed to buy a few parts and they have helped me out.
About 1 1/2 years ago when HPR started to get the recognition for their motors, they became mostly the builder for race only applications. They have their day jobs and have to limit their time to race motors only. It is just good business sense. They are doing the best they can with the time they have available.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Quench Head

TVI , has been doing this for 5 years, on all our big bore and stroker motors. Good for 3 hp! HPR did not invent the wheel either!!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 06:05 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

I am sure that TVI has been doing a quench head for some time. I emailed them on information a few months ago and did not get a response. All I wanted to know was did they find the quench head worth the effort and was it cost justifiable to hp output.
I am going to build my own head, only because I do not have the funds to have someone else do it for me.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Example Before:
http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/feb98/feb4.jpg

Example After:
http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/feb98/feb6.jpg

Just for understanding purposes.

OMR

Quick Reply: Quench Head