CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

looking at getting an 800 but ......look at this vid

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at getting an 800 but ......look at this vid

My experiance with the outy visco on my wifes 400 put it out of the running when I was shopping for a new machine. We were pulling logs in the spring. Had one hooked up, 2 rear tires were in swamp in about 3" water, r/f was on an ice spot in the shade of another tree. l/f was on solid ground. Had rears,r/f spinning. l/f did not even try to grab.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

Pay attention to the rider skills in that vid. It looks to me that the one on the cat is a more experienced rider. And, it just might be that the cat is a little better on the rocks ( I personally doubt it ). People are going to keep coming up with new tests to finally find something the Outty doesnt dominate. Look at the big picture, go ride one. If power is what you want then there is NO comparison between the Outty and anything else.

But like Ive always said, dont let opinions (or tainted videos) make your decision. Dont take mine or anybody elses word for it. Go ride an Outlander and find out for yourself.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

If that video is gonna determine whether or not you buy an outty....all I have to say is bring your h1 to Louisiana. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

his tone/sarcasm? He is just disappointed about the Bomb.

Visco lock is great for riding in dirt and around the yard, but for rocks like that, I would not by the Outlander.

My Prowler climbs over rocks and rough terrain in the river beds around here better than my Outlander. Visco is not all it's stated to be.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply guys. I am going to go test drive another outlander. So its not a good idea toput bigger tires on because of the visco lock thing??

thanks again

Old 11-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nice vid!!!!!!!!, Looks like the Cat is rockin and the outty is suckin. You know they through this big 800cc engine in it and qoute how good it does on the quater mile strech, and how it will beat anything else out there on the market today in the BAJA 1000, oh are we in the desert? So if I were to purchase an outty I would do well to skip bush all together and down the the quater mile track. Can this quad even stand up to the rigous terrain of true northen woods? Dont get me wrong I love atvs and it really does not matter to me who makes them, but they should forget making them to handle great on the quater mile and focus on making them to last where they belong.................In the BUSH. If I wanted to ride around my front lawn I would buy a lawn tractor, or maybe an outty as thats the only place it seems they are any good.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

.................In the BUSH. If I wanted to ride around my front lawn I would buy a lawn tractor, or maybe an outty as thats the only place it seems they are any good.
>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

What do you ride?

I'm curious why so many people are so insecure regarding the Outlander's?

They are fine machines that excel in some areas and probably come up a bit short in other areas when compared to other quads.

Usually when someone says one quad SUCKS compared to another they are simply wearing their ignorance on their sleeve.

People pick one ATV over another for MANY reasons. Sometimes price is a big factor. My biggest factor is QUALITY.

Three years ago Feb. I bought my first ATV, a Yamaha Bearcrapper, within a couple of weeks I realized this was not going to satisfy me long term, I then bought a Yamaha Bruin....in the meantime I had struck up a bit of a friendship at a dealership by my house that carries Kawi, Yamaha, Suzuki and BRP...He asked me if I was familliar with the Outlanders, to which my replay was "uh no, don't they look kind of funny to you"?? He kind of laughed and simply asked me to "keep an open mind for a few minutes, these are quite unique quads and they have that Rotax engine" to which my response was "whats a Rotax".....he again kinda chuckled and said "ever heard of Sea Doo or Ski Doo" THEN it rung a bell, I'd never associated Ski Doo or Sea Doo with Bombardier...so he shows me all the features of the Outlander, of course being unfamiliar with the brand I did some research online and came away not only impressed with the Outlander but was impressed with Bombardier and their Six Sigma Quality management philosophy, something I was familiar with having studied this in college. I came away with the impression and feelling that BRP products are excellent quality. They build great water and snow machines, they are #1 in marketshare in both areas so why wouldn't that quality and performance translate over to their ATV line up?

All that being said, do I necessarily think BRP/Can Am are better then any other brand? Absolutely not, but I do believe they are every bit as good as any other brand and in some cases better then others in certain areas. Polaris has been bought and sold twice in the past 20+ years. Arctic Cat filed for bankruptcy in the early 80's and probably is only surviving in name because of Suzuki, their merchandising line kept them afloat and it's probably their ATV's that are saving their name right now. BRP was recently taken private, not because the rec. division was a drain on Bombardier inc. (actually their aerospace division was hurting them) but that it was very attractive to buyers and generated much needed cash flow for Bombardier.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of the closed mind I do rember that in this fourm how closed mind some people are here. I have no problem with BRP product but with the people who own them but not all. I rember how all I read on the cam-am fourm how much better in ever way the visco lock is to everone else an how you call Polaris system junk. When bryceGTX was tring to have a tec dicousion about it you all attacked him for even sujesting in some areas it was better , man how the opinion change when show in real world expearnce it is the ride causeing the visco-lock not to work. Mine thought is do to the change of tires size changed the ratio. I watched the other vid an the guy did some great water wheelies so rider skill being less I don't think so.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: toughrquads
Nice vid!!!!!!!!, Looks like the Cat is rockin and the outty is suckin. You know they through this big 800cc engine in it and qoute how good it does on the quater mile strech, and how it will beat anything else out there on the market today in the BAJA 1000, oh are we in the desert? So if I were to purchase an outty I would do well to skip bush all together and down the the quater mile track. Can this quad even stand up to the rigous terrain of true northen woods? Dont get me wrong I love atvs and it really does not matter to me who makes them, but they should forget making them to handle great on the quater mile and focus on making them to last where they belong.................In the BUSH. If I wanted to ride around my front lawn I would buy a lawn tractor, or maybe an outty as thats the only place it seems they are any good.
I knew there would be inconsiterate ppl like toghrquads on here to start a flame!

Ive seen the outtie on a few ATV rallies and i seen it bog just as good if not better through mudholes and muskeg.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of the closed mind I do rember that in this fourm how closed mind some people are here. I have no problem with BRP product but with the people who own them but not all. I rember how all I read on the cam-am fourm how much better in ever way the visco lock is to everone else an how you call Polaris system junk. When bryceGTX was tring to have a tec dicousion about it you all attacked him for even sujesting in some areas it was better , man how the opinion change when show in real world expearnce it is the ride causeing the visco-lock not to work. Mine thought is do to the change of tires size changed the ratio. I watched the other vid an the guy did some great water wheelies so rider skill being less I don't think so.
>>>>>>>>>>>

For starters, I doubt the consensus is that the visco-loc is so much better or better at all, as I've stated, I think it's a matter of preference and type of riding.

I've never called Polaris junk, and I don't think "everyone" here called them junk either, you can't generalize statements made by one or two to an entire group.

Bryce's only intent was to fan the flames! He never proved it was better and has never ridden either system, so all he did was repeat what he thinks he knows. Lots of things sound good "on paper' but that doesn't always translate to real life.

It's been stated here numerous times that non OEM tire sizes will cause the visco-loc a delay in engaging, thats a choice a rider/owner makes when upgrading tires....IF the type of riding they do relies heavily on the 4WD being locked it wouldn't make much sense to get a larger tire.

I doubt most here will argue the results of the video, some quads are better at some things then others. I wonder what was the purpose in making that video? What was the purpose in posting it on the web? The guy narrating had an agenda and it showed in his tone.....People want to downplay BRP competing in these marathon races but IMO they are the real world test that PROVE something....that something is that these quads hold up under extreme use. Why don't Polaris or A/C compete in these events? What better way is there to advertise the quality and durablity of your ATV then to have it finish one of these events? There is a reason Honda dominates the Baja and there is a reason the DS650 consistently wins Dakkar. There MUST be a reason some of the other companies don't compete in these events........Why do you think that is?

People want to jump on internet garbage like this as gospel yet the same people will downplay the BRP video which is professionally done with professional riders and a third party to administer it....The results speak pretty well and I believe it to be quite informative , I don't believe for a second any of it was staged to purposly make one particular brand look bad.