CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Removing valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing valve springs

What is needed? Just a valve spring compressor? ANy particlar type?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'ld strongly suggest hooking up with The Preacher. you live so close to him. He'll put the springs in, check the valve clearance, lap the valves, etc. etc. etc.

Do you have new valve seals?

Shim under or over?

Give me a call and I can hook you up.

The Preacher does The Bom's work. That should say a lot for him. The Preacher doesn't provide parts. . . only does work (labor) and he is extremely detail oriented. The dealer will just throw the springs in there. Preacher will take a look at EVERYTHING while he's doing the work.

Besides, he isn't that expensive.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do do it yourself, you may have a hard time finding a spirng compressor of appropriate diameter for the DS's large retainers, I could not find one locally and fabricated one with some lathe and mill work. there are plenty of cheap valve spring compressor kits out there, but most of the econo sets I came by do not have the right size adapter for the DS retainers, and the ones I did find were high dollar.

its nice to clean out the exhuast ports with a dremel and brass brush while you are at it, and also hand lap all the valves, but this will require purchasing 4 new valve seals. trying to reuse the valve seals can lead to kicking yourself in the pants in the longrun. but to simply replace the springs does not require valve removal, and no need for new seals if they don't get removed.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the recommendations. The reason I was asking is I just pulled my head to have sent off to have ported. I was assuming my head porter would want the valves and springs removed. Or is that a false assumption on my part? I think I will give him a call before I send it out. I would rather not have to mess with the valves/springs if I don't have to.