CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Motorcycle Engine Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Motorcycle Engine Conversion

I would like to have the build total under $9,000. I can do most of the work myself but the frame mods. What parts would I need to up grade on the DS650 to do this Conversion right. I plan on doing alittle trail riding and alot of racing with the quad. I would also like to have the bike be reliable. What aftermarket parts would I have to put on the DS650? For example, axle, swing-arm( I am thinking maybe a +6 to +8), A-arms, suspension and brakes. Who can do the frame mods???

These are the bikes I am looking at for the build what do you think?

2004-2000: BOMBARDIER DS650: $3,000-$2,000

I would buy a driveable bikes and sell the parts I don't use for both the DS and Motorcycle.

Which motor do you think would be best?
2005-2001: Yamaha YZ1 $5,500-$4,000 2005-2003: Kawasaki Z1000: $5,500-$4,000 or 2006-2005: Suzuki GSXR 1000, 750, 600: $6,000-$4,000

Any good site with pic's of quad's like the one I'm trying to build?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

You might be able to get the parts $9000 but I don't think you would ever be able to get the whole thing done for that unless you did ALL the work yourself. Most of the work that must be done are the frame mods to fit the engines you listed. A gas tank has to be fabbed, new sections of frame have to be made, custom exhaust, along with tons of other fab work. Maybe you have the skills to do that work, I don't know... your post said that you did not have that kind of fab experience. The bottom line is that this is not just a matter of dropping a street bike engine into a DS frame. I would think twice unless you are very sure of your fab skills. If you are serious, and start a project, PM Supersonictoys.... he did the first 'busa conversion DS, and has done several projects since. He has the nicest DS conversion I have ever seen... he did a DS with a turbo charged busa, that looked killer. DSNut also has a nice Raptor conversion, you might want to contact him, and there are a bunch of others who have done conversions... I'm sure they will chime in... Good luck if you go for it.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Find a low mile motor on E-bay that is complete with all the details (fuel-injection, instrument cluster, ignition mapping, exhaust headers if possible) You can buy an R1 motor for anywhere from $1500 - $2200 with all of this stuff. I think you can get a Busa motor in the $2500 - $2700 range. These are probably 100k mile motors, so 2k or 4k already on the motor is most likely ok.

My advice is to add everything up to the best of your knowledge before you start, then double that figure as your anticipated budget. The kind of effort and expense involved in a really professional looking conversion is significant. I have some pictures on my page of an R1 in a Raptor.

Supersonictoys is the expert! Whatever he says, do it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok the way the engine sits in the motorcycle, has to be the same when it goes in the atv frame? True right.

Do you guys have any sites where i can get some good pic's of quads, like the one i am trying to make.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes. www.monsterquads.com

Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
My advice is to add everything up to the best of your knowledge before you start, then double that figure as your anticipated budget.
That's some PROFESIONAL Estimating right there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Seems like I've been doing this a lot lately (estimating for work). Price has been closer to 2x material for installation + material = total job. Guess that's what all those $$$'s spent on college got me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . . . well, at least one of the things college got me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have a coupla pics on my page to give you some ideas on a conversion build. If you do all the labor including the frame you could do it for around 9k. The little things just nickle and dime ya to pieces.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Major - That is one fine conversion. I kind of know what I am looking for now and that one of yours is about perfect! imho

Old 12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Major is the guy to ask about Doing a Gsxr 1000 .. He was a big help to me.. Thanks Curtis!! again!! My first conversion was a bit troublesome LEARNED ALOT!!.. Many things still need to be fixed. Went right to a 2nd build to learn more, MUCH BETTER BUILD!!! EASIER TOO!!... Got all bugs worked out.???? (maybe). lol... Just started our 3rd. ( some more changes) Should be perfect!!! close any way??. You know how that goes!! Then Back to the first build to rebuild/ redesign from what we have learned..

DON'T TAKE THIS LIGHTLY .. IT'S A BIG JOB. YOU WILL BUILD , GET IT WRONG!! CHANGE .,,, FIX ,,REBUILD,, FIX AGAIN.. GO RIDING ,, AND STILL NEED TO CHANGE THINGS...!! Then again I make teeth for a living!! lol lol..

Good luck I'll help if I can

Bud

OH Yes!! Major is RIGHT!! It will nickel and dime you.. Lots of little details you wouldn't even think of !!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah I think I'm just going to buy a Motorcycle! lol maybe when i get a job I will build a bombbusa.

Quick Reply: DS650 Motorcycle Engine Conversion