CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

check those air filters on can-am's they are falling off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check those air filters on can-am's they are falling off.

I work at a multi line dealer ship, we took on can-am about a year ago. One of the guys from work about a 800, went to go load it up and the throttle stuck open and he hit a stump.
Now today I got a ticket for one that died while driving, the owner started it back up and noticed a noise, towed it back and broguth in

Took off air cleaner lid and found air filter was off. Removed and looked in intake, only to find the inside covered in dirt. Took pictures and call BRP. They said, that it says in the owners manual to check daily and 10 hours and 40 and so on. They are going to cover the damage, but said that they didn't have to cause he should have read the manaul.

I told him that there are alot of service manuals that state, You need to bring in your fourwheeler to get the steering inspected by a qualifed tech.

So I am just here to get the word out, they do have a new air filter that you can buy now that is lighter. It is a UNI air filter.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Do you happen to know what the 'uni' is made of? I have a twin-air on my bike now, and it makes starting more difficult, sometimes up to 6 attempts.

Any general views on hard starting? Just changed plugs, had ecu reprogrammed, again.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't run the twin air filter. I have heard it causes the same problems as you are having. I also heard that your gas mileage is dramatically cut using it. I don't know what the Outy 800 comes with stock but the Renegade runs a cloth (looks to be non-oiled) with a foam outer cover. If your Outy came with something different, you may with to try the Renegades. Mine starts first time, every time. Also what altitude are you running at, you may need a different mapping. If you are in love with the twin air you might want to consider getting a Dobeck gen III module to fine tune your fuel requirements.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Twin Air and UNI both are foam filters. Far as yours starting hard not sure what year or VIN range but there is a new flash up date for the ecm.

The problem seems to be that the stock filter is too heavy, or that's aleast what BRP is "kinda saying". The new can-am's that are coming now have the UNI. Not sure if they will get rid of the one they have now or have both.

Please pass these post off to others, or set me up with a link so I can post on other sites. Just need to get the word out so others don't end up like the one on my bench now.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

toolboy, think I'll go back to the outy oem filter. It's the same as the Renegade filter btw.

Will report back on any starting differences after reinstalling the oem filter.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Well I got the motor apart yesterday, both cylinders rings worn out, and the lower rod bearings are bad. The rear rod would stick in place. They are running plain bearings on the rods and the crank.